The Student Room Group

Can't do anything anymore- help?

I've got A and A*s for predicted grades for GCSE and throughout year 10 and year 11 I have done consistently well in mocks and tests etc. I’ve been revising since February and now I feel like I’ve burnt out. I know most things, but I can’t write fast enough or concentrate in exams even though I used to be able to. I get stressed when there is a time limit and lose all control of what I am writing, which is a disaster for subjects like History, English, Geography, RE and Latin! I can’t do it any more, it’s like a fog and I cannot concentrate at all. Any tips, please? Thanks in advance, I’m really stressed now!
Take the weekend off, go out, go see a film go for a walk etc.

Star again Monday. Untimed open book essays, see how much you can get in, then times open book or unimed non open and finally exam conditions. You just sound burnd out at the moment so a break seems fine. You also sound as though you have one plenty of revision, so have a bit of confidence.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Take the weekend off, go out, go see a film go for a walk etc.

Star again Monday. Untimed open book essays, see how much you can get in, then times open book or unimed non open and finally exam conditions. You just sound burnd out at the moment so a break seems fine. You also sound as though you have one plenty of revision, so have a bit of confidence.

Thank you for the reply! I might take it easy this weekend then, see if it helps by Monday. And thank you for the essay tips, I'll definitely be doing that then:redface:
How long is it till the exams? You need to be delivering yourself to the exam room at peak and not burned out. part of that is looking after yourself instead of running yourself into the ground. You started early, just pace yourself now.
Reply 4
Original post by wildjones
I've got A and A*s for predicted grades for GCSE and throughout year 10 and year 11 I have done consistently well in mocks and tests etc. I’ve been revising since February and now I feel like I’ve burnt out. I know most things, but I can’t write fast enough or concentrate in exams even though I used to be able to. I get stressed when there is a time limit and lose all control of what I am writing, which is a disaster for subjects like History, English, Geography, RE and Latin! I can’t do it any more, it’s like a fog and I cannot concentrate at all. Any tips, please? Thanks in advance, I’m really stressed now!

TAKE A BREAK, maybe a week or more depending on how you feel. Take it easy and have fun, enjoy your break. You'll feel much better!
Reply 5
How long is it till the exams? You need to be delivering yourself to the exam room at peak and not burned out. part of that is looking after yourself instead of running yourself into the ground. You started early, just pace yourself now.

It's 2 weeks until the first one, and okay, I'll try, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by _Xenon_
TAKE A BREAK, maybe a week or more depending on how you feel. Take it easy and have fun, enjoy your break. You'll feel much better!

But I feel like a break that wouldn't be good for the results, I've only got 2 weeks haha. Thank you though, I will take it slightly easier :smile:
definitely take today off and do soemthing you wont have the chance to again i.e cinema , oit with friends. Think about a restrat tomorrow. Take breaks frequently and do it in short bursts. Go for a walk at licnh and the evening just to get fresh air and chill, even better if you have a dog. If you are burned out you just need to recover.
Reply 8
definitely take today off and do soemthing you wont have the chance to again i.e cinema , oit with friends. Think about a restrat tomorrow. Take breaks frequently and do it in short bursts. Go for a walk at licnh and the evening just to get fresh air and chill, even better if you have a dog. If you are burned out you just need to recover.

Okay, I'll take a walk with dog this evening, thank you. I really hope this'll help clear my mind as I'm getting a little panicked with all of this:colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by wildjones
Okay, I'll take a walk with dog this evening, thank you. I really hope this'll help clear my mind as I'm getting a little panicked with all of this:colondollar:

OK good luck and take it easy! :smile:
I've always had a problem with timings. I'm predicted very high grades too, but my handwriting messes everything up, either I can't write fast enough or it becomes illegible. What I would do, is if you haven't already done so, make a revision timetable, and make a day where you do no revision at all, or half an hour of going through questions with someone else, and that is the maximum! Also, only revise on the mornings of weekends, don't push yourself all day unless you really have to, and try and make social arrangements at least every fortnight, even if it's someone coming to your house to revise, and then having an hour of free time.
As for the writing, just try and calm yourself down, I get really prone to stress around exam times, and I use this thing called Rescue Remedy which really works and you can get it at most pharmacies. Take it just before your exam or put it in your drink for the exam, and just try and stay calm, the more you worry, the worse your writing is going to be, and if you get stress writing (which is what I do and is where your writing goes all loopy and big) then stop yourself, count to 3, and then start again, that's possibly the best advice I can give you.
walk it ever day whether it wants to go or not. Its stress, it just takes a while to subside. You just need to manage it better by not overdoing it.
Uoive done a lot so all you need is to use these last 2 weeks productively.
Reply 12
Original post by Beth Mitchell
I've always had a problem with timings. I'm predicted very high grades too, but my handwriting messes everything up, either I can't write fast enough or it becomes illegible. What I would do, is if you haven't already done so, make a revision timetable, and make a day where you do no revision at all, or half an hour of going through questions with someone else, and that is the maximum! Also, only revise on the mornings of weekends, don't push yourself all day unless you really have to, and try and make social arrangements at least every fortnight, even if it's someone coming to your house to revise, and then having an hour of free time.
As for the writing, just try and calm yourself down, I get really prone to stress around exam times, and I use this thing called Rescue Remedy which really works and you can get it at most pharmacies. Take it just before your exam or put it in your drink for the exam, and just try and stay calm, the more you worry, the worse your writing is going to be, and if you get stress writing (which is what I do and is where your writing goes all loopy and big) then stop yourself, count to 3, and then start again, that's possibly the best advice I can give you.

Gosh, thank you! I'll be making a revision timetable tomorrow then, rather than revising. I shall take all of your advice on board then, and okay, I may try that drug. What does it do exactly, calm you down? Sounds useful, thank you so much:biggrin:
Yeah basically XD it tastes really weird and you only need 4 drops, but it calms me down really quickly and my writing doesn't go as bad with it XD

Quick Reply

Latest