The Student Room Group

The Privilege Game...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vinny1900
You're a Conservative?

You're a female, that means you're losing from the start of the game regardless of how clever you are. Competitive women will always lose because of maternity leave because you're competing against men who don't have that responsibility and you will lose out on 3-4 years of career development. There is more reason for a woman to be a Labour Supporter because they will have more compassion for hardship. Once you have a young family, your purpose will be your children and not career aspirations. See again, women are on the backfoot. Should you have another child, that is another 2-3 years taken off work, LMAO.

That is just such a defeatist attitude, yes perhaps as a female I don't start off in the most privileged position but does that mean I shouldn't try? Should I just give up and never try to win at anything in life because I wasn't born a male?

Socially I'm left, economically I lean towards the right. I really do believe in the "equality of opportunity".
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That is just such a defeatist attitude, yes perhaps as a female I don't start off in the most privileged position but does that mean I shouldn't try? Should I just give up and never try to win at anything in life because I wasn't born a male?

Socially I'm left, economically I lean towards the right. I really do believe in the "equality of opportunity".

Competition is only possible on a fair playing field, ask any ex-law graduate who couldn't get a internship because he/she failed to have the right social networking contacts only he got a 2.1 class degree but that didn't count for much in the Privilege game, it could be anything arbitrary, not having the right look, and not coming from the correct social class.
It's not defeatist, the real world is not really that competitive, it's about Privilege and lack of control from those trying to be competitive. Why are all the Conservative Party comprised of men from the same private posh school of Eton. I don't think you understand what 'competitiveness' means, nor do you understand the true meaning of the privilege game. The Guardian newspaper has written relentlessly about these topics. The american dream is a myth.

My view is you don't understand the significance of the Privilege game judging from your understanding about being competitive, how many women make up the Executive Board Committees in the City? LMAO
(edited 7 years ago)
what is this exactly, the SJW olympics?
I felt like proper decking the white woman and the guy at the end
Competition is only possible on a fair playing field, ask any ex-law graduate who couldn't get a internship because he/she failed to have the right social networking contacts only he got a 2.1 class degree but that didn't count for much in the Privilege game, it could be anything arbitrary, not having the right look, and not coming from the correct social class.
It's not defeatist, the real world is not really that competitive, it's about Privilege and lack of control from those trying to be competitive. Why are all the Conservative Party comprised of men from the same private posh school of Eton. I don't think you understand what 'competitiveness' means, nor do you understand the true meaning of the privilege game. The Guardian newspaper has written relentlessly about these topics. The american dream is a myth.

My view is you don't understand the significance of the Privilege game judging from your understanding about being competitive, how many women make up the Executive Board Committees in the City? LMAO

I don't think you know what you're talking about, you're generalising. It is a defeatist attitude! Should I not try? Should you not try (assuming you're female)?

The American dream isn't a myth, someone like Trump does not represent the American dream, someone like my uncle however who grew up VERY poor in India, went off to the US, opened a restaurant and made investments...he is now living the American Dream with his huge house and his acres upon acres of land surrounding his huge house.

The 2:1 could have been a 1st, that applies to both male and females.

Not all the conservative party is comprised of men, there are more men then women but there are female MP's.

As for social class and gender, they cannot be changed but as I said I'm socially left so I can sympathise. But working hard can out do these barriers. If you are good at what you do, who can stop you? Do you truly believe if a woman (who does have to work harder due to her position in the beginning) is brilliant at what she does she will still be on the "back foot"? No, how can you stop somebody who is brilliant at what they do?

I get sexism in the city, yes it exists but should you just sit back and do nothing? not strive after certain careers because you're female? isn't that a bit pathetic? when has that ever worked out well in history? We've over come a lot and it's mostly because people stood up for what they believed in, not sit back and do nothing because of their pre-decided positions in the world .
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone in this video seems really annoying.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Surely the obvious solution is encouraging more men to take paternity leave, and encouraging men to take more time off work to look after their kids, rather than encouraging women not to have children, or giving women advantages based on gender?

There will always be one partner in a family who values family over career, or vice versa, and in that case it is not unreasonable to expect them to take slightly more responsibility for the children, and need to do less work. You act as though everyone should value career above all else, which is a ridiculous attitude to take.

Absolutely!
I don't think you know what you're talking about, you're generalising. It is a defeatist attitude! Should I not try? Should you not try (assuming you're female)?

The American dream isn't a myth, someone like Trump does not represent the American dream, someone like my uncle however who grew up VERY poor in India, went off to the US, opened a restaurant and made investments...he is now living the American Dream with his huge house and his acres upon acres of land surrounding his huge house.

The 2:1 could have been a 1st, that applies to both male and females.
JUST ONE!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Hale,_Baroness_Hale_of_Richmond

Not all the conservative party is comprised of men, there are more men then women but there are female MP's.

As for social class and gender, they cannot be changed but as I said I'm socially left so I can sympathise. But working hard can out do these barriers. If you are good at what you do, who can stop you? Do you truly believe if a woman (who does have to work harder due to her position in the beginning) is brilliant at what she does she will still be on the "back foot"? No, how can you stop somebody who is brilliant at what they do?

I get sexism in the city, yes it exists but should you just sit back and do nothing? not strive after certain careers because you're female? isn't that a bit pathetic? when has that ever worked out well in history? We've over come a lot and it's mostly because people stood up for what they believed in, not sit back and do nothing because of their pre-decided positions in the world .

I'm the male non-european in the game. You're a wishful thinker.
You should read the news of employment tribunal cases, the only winners are white males. Where are the successful white females who you have in mind? Who is your inspiration
Where are the successful non-european males? I don't see them anywhere.

oh!
In the supreme court of justice, there is only 1 woman.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm the male non-european in the game. You're a wishful thinker.
You should read the news of employment tribunal cases, the only winners are white males. Where are the successful white females who you have in mind? Who is your inspiration
Where are the successful non-european males? I don't see them anywhere.

I'm not a wishful thinker, I don't care to share my inspiration with you. I'm so done talking to you.

Just because you would rather sit down and do nothing doesn't mean other people should. :colonhash:

Goodbye!
I'm not a wishful thinker, I don't care to share my inspiration with you. I'm so done talking to you.

Just because you would rather sit down and do nothing doesn't mean other people should. :colonhash:

Goodbye!

That's because you can't think of any examples.
More to backup my argument.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3156320/Battle-sexes-workplace-Men-feel-threatened-female-bosses-act-aggressively-result-study-claims.html

Non europeans need to change their names at deed poll

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruchikatulshyan/2014/06/13/have-a-foreign-sounding-name-change-it-to-get-a-job/#5b3ead5f5f21
(edited 7 years ago)
i love Neel Kolhatkar and this was a great video
[video="youtube;AOMpxsiUg2Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMpxsiUg2Q[/video]

What are your thoughts on this?

Wow. Chilling video.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest