The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
Mutilation, suicide and delusion is not my point of view it's fact

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but you say mutilation as if it is going against what the person wants, it is no different to any other cosmetic surgery- if that is going to make the person more comfortable with their image. You only say delusion because it is against what you believe and do not understand why a person would do this.... I have no idea why you put suicide in there??
Original post by paul514
Too late :smile:

And actually the gay thing is debatable like I said I just don't know it's called being scientific there is no definitive answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you're incredibly unprofessional with your remarks. Particularly making them online.
Original post by paul514
Mutilation, suicide and delusion is not my point of view it's fact

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick question, you do realize that not all trans people 'mutilate their genitals' or even experience dysmorphia right? And furthering that - you do realize that the suicide rate for trans individuals is more closely linked with internalized transphobia, which is in part caused by the tired transphboic rhetoric you're so fond of spouting, right?
Original post by nikolateslacles
Quick question, you do realize that not all trans people 'mutilate their genitals' or even experience dysmorphia right? And furthering that - you do realize that the suicide rate for trans individuals is more closely linked with internalized transphobia, which is in part caused by the tired transphboic rhetoric you're so fond of spouting, right?

E v I d e n c e

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ivybridge
Then you're incredibly unprofessional with your remarks. Particularly making them online.

Thanks I'll wear it as a badge of honour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingKoala
Yes but you say mutilation as if it is going against what the person wants, it is no different to any other cosmetic surgery- if that is going to make the person more comfortable with their image. You only say delusion because it is against what you believe and do not understand why a person would do this.... I have no idea why you put suicide in there??

Look at suicide rates, I agree to an extent on plastic surgery and the delusion is fact they believe they are something which they aren't it's no different from me believing I am a baby, dog or car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paul I'm not going to be nice like the others but you're a complete piece of **** and I fear you becoming a psychologist. Being 'trans' is in in fact not a mental disorder. Due to society and gender stereotypes some people just don't identify with their gender assigned at birth. and being gay is also NOT a mental disorder as in fact its been here since the start of humanity and even exists within animals so don't go around and labelling people mentally ill because in fact you are not a professional psychologist :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Look at suicide rates, I agree to an extent on plastic surgery and the delusion is fact they believe they are something which they aren't it's no different from me believing I am a baby, dog or car

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is? It's very different :lol:

Trans people do not believe they are the opposite biological sex. Are you really a psychologist? **** me universities in this country are obviously horrendous at what they do.
Original post by ivybridge
Yes it is? It's very different :lol:

Trans people do not believe they are the opposite biological sex. Are you really a psychologist? **** me universities in this country are obviously horrendous at what they do.

Lmao ikr, they identify as trans not male or female, this guy is dumb as ****.
Original post by paul514
E v I d e n c e

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do find it curious that I must provide evidence for incredibly easy to research topics whereas your entire argument thus far has seemingly been based on your own opinions and/or prejudices.

Never the less you can find your e v i d e n c e here, here and here

"Thus, it appears that factors other than gender dysphoria (distress or discomfort with one’s natal sex) contribute to increased suicide risk in trans populations." - a quote from the latter

and here's a Leverne Cox article that deals with the topic of internalized transphobia for any trans* or gender nonconforming peeps who are interested
Not sure if someone posted this before, but this video is definitely worth the watch:

[video="youtube;aDAU3SPYFsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAU3SPYFsA[/video]
Original post by Noodle0
Not sure if someone posted this before, but this video is definitely worth the watch:

[video="youtube;aDAU3SPYFsA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAU3SPYFsA[/video]

I'd rather not watch a transphobe thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Chaseyyy
Paul I'm not going to be nice like the others but you're a complete piece of **** and I fear you becoming a psychologist. Being 'trans' is in in fact not a mental disorder. Due to society and gender stereotypes some people just don't identify with their gender assigned at birth. and being gay is also NOT a mental disorder as in fact its been here since the start of humanity and even exists within animals so don't go around and labelling people mentally ill because in fact you are not a professional psychologist :smile:

Too late already am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Too late already am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a professional psychologist?? Good lord what's upon us.. .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sjw's on the warpath after not reading the entire thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say transsexuality is a mental disorder. Say it gets treated through hormone replacement therapy and reconstructive therapies. How is that selfish???
This reddit post by a transgender person helped me understand it more.

"Transgender person here, and your question is a good one (or at least, a common one that really isn't answered clearly very often)The short answer is: yes, Trans people are considered to have a disorder. Gender Dysphoria is a disorder recognized in the DSM.There have been a few studies establishing certain evidence to support the idea that this is inherent (a few having to do with brain mapping/MRIs pop up now and again) but the funding and interest for serious, driven research into the field just hasn't been there until recently. A lot of existing studies are either too old to be taken seriously or flawed due to lack of funding or existing bias. The best guess right now is that the brain is just wired to expect a different set of physical characteristics than it has, and thus causes dysphoria as a way of expressing that it thinks there is something wrong with ones body.Your question seems to be more "Why don't we get these transgender people mental help instead of physical modifications to their body" and the answer is:

Trans people already have to have years of therapy from multiple doctors and therapists to get the required letters of recommendation (verification that therapists and doctors have confidence that the person does experience Gender Dysphoria and that they believe that sexual transition would be beneficial to the patient's mental health) needed to get hormones and SRS (sexual reassignment surgery) and no form of conversion therapy has worked anywhere near consistently.

It is just easier (at this point in time, at least) to modify the body to reduce dysphoria than it is to modify the brain to stop dysphoria altogether.

As far as what I can describe to you from personal experience, I am not in denial about the fact that I have a penis and that I grow facial hair and that my body produces testosterone. I can tell you that the physical presence of these things causes constant distress, feelings of depression and self hate, the whole nine yards. When I wear female clothes, ask you to call me by a different name or use different pronouns, wear makeup, etc., it is more to fool my unconscious self and distract it from the fact that certain parts of my body just feel wrong.Plenty of other similar conditions, like Body Dysmorphic Disorder, have long been recognized and accepted by the medical community. Sometimes the brain expects your body to be different than it is.It's like if you were to take the hard drive out of one computer and into a different computer. You'll probably be able to boot and do most things, but you'll occasionally get some errors because that hard drive and the Operating System inside has been set up to expect a certain hardware configuration in the computer, and has problems when what hardware it thinks you have differs from the hardware you actually hook up to it. We (the medical community) don't know how to reprogram the computer yet, so switching out hardware is the next easiest thing.Trust me, if there was a pill that got rid of my dysphoria so that I felt content with my male sex characteristics, I would imagine that would be far easier and pain free to take than years of hormone therapy and multiple, very expensive surgeries. Such a thing doesn't exist yet, so I only have one other choice.EDIT: I should mention that my experiences doesn't cover every one you hear. There has been a push in certain groups to remove gender dysphoria from being the identifying factor of being transgender, and make it solely an "identity". I personally take issue with this (as it removes all scientific aspects from the issue), but many trans people support the idea or just don't care. It's the internet, and Reddit is a great trolling ground when the Tumblr bloggers want to stir up trouble. You are likely to hear lots of different opinions."
Original post by paul514
Ok, paragraph one isn't what the argument is about men can behave like women if they like and vice versa that is just individual preference. The difference is that they don't believe they are or should be the opposite sex
Paragraph two you can shove up your arse

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are you suggesting that theres a difference between trans gender and transsexuals?

i mean i thought trans people generally cared about who they are on the inside (and what they present on the outside) not which chromosomes they have
Reply 258
Im actually quite disappointed. This thread started off so respectful and nice and then it turned into a petty insult match.

@AlteredBoy I'm going to apologize for Paul's (and anyone elses) misgendering of you, it doesnt matter how we all feel about this subject he's just an A-grade ****, and I can appreciate that must have hurt.

As for my opinions on the matter, I can understand how it is seen as a disorder. Its not normal. But just because its not normal doesnt mean that is necessarily bad, they're not hurting anyone, they've just challenged your conventions and books.
Yes most people don't like the concept of hacking parts of yourself off, but its their choice. Its a long process and theyre literally asked every step of the way if they've changed their mind!

Many people have said that you should change transpeople's minds, not alter their bodies. They've been doing that for centuries and it didnt work. The closest they've come to helping people feel comfortable is by changing their body to suit their mind.

Also the research shows that FTMs have male sized pituitary glands, and MTFs have female sized pituitary glands. Clearly something biological has happened in the womb, probably an excess of the wrong hormones or something. The issue is that we cannot find out, because majority of transpeople wont "come out" and participate as they fear rejection and abuse. A lot of them who do "come out" go under the radar and disappear, because they look like a normal member of the opposite sex. Hence why everyone's first image of a transperson tends to be a man in a dress or a really chubby butch lesbian lookalike, because they cant disappear, you can tell!

Another issue with the trans community is Tumblr. Its the worst thing in the world. There are kids on there that think its cool to do **** like pretend to be transgender. Its bumped up the few stats of transgender regret, because those special snowflakes end up with gender dysphoria because they suddenly look like a guy but dont feel like one inside! (Which kinda proves that gender dysphoria isnt made up!)

So yes transgenderism is probably a mental disorder in the sense that its not normal. Im sure we'd find it cropping up in the animal kingdom but as they cant speak we just assume that there isnt because that animal would probably just be acting gay. You can all say that its a girl pretending and that they should just suck it up, but im sure theyve tried to. And it hasnt worked and for 90% of trans people they probably would jump at the chance to be normal and comfortable in their bodies without removing and altering parts. But since nobody's come up with a way, just leave them be. I think their lives are hard enough without you taking the piss, when you have no ****ing clue how they feel.

Heres a question for you all though. What about the intersex? Most dont feel that a transperson should be able to alter their body, but what about an intersex person (someone with ambigious genetalia, some male/some female). Would they be allowed to? Because there is nothing harmful in the way their body is different, it just doesnt fit what people believe it should be.
Wtf are you doing on this forum then? it is THE STUDENT ROOM, get the **** off here, people from the older generation are just bigoted and you guys can't be changed and looking from ur photo ur a white privileged piece of **** lmao

Quick Reply

Latest