The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosser1994
Well I've just heard back that I've been offered a position as a bank healthcare assistant, which I'm going to take over attending a full-time HCA position interview.

I think it'll offer me the same amount of experience + I'll get to visit many different wards.. And I'll get as much time as I find necessary to practice for the entrance exams.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A bank hca post will give you just as much experience and will work well in your circumstances. I'm pretty sure there will be enough work for you to get full time hours each week if that's what you want, as well as time off when you like it.
The only things to be gained from a full time post would be job security (which you won't need if you're leaving to do medicine,) and sick pay.
Most nursing banks give you some extra pay these days to make up for the four weeks paid holiday that you would be getting if you had a full time post, so you're not even missing out on that any more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by guptkhalsa84
Will a 2.1 be good enough for Kings (I don't mind doing the 5 year course!) just really want to do med lol. I got ABC A levels (Bio, Maths, History) and C in AS level - Currently doing BSc Optometry ...

I don't think Optometry is on the list of degrees that Kings accept is it? They won't take professional/vocational degrees like nursing or radiography unless you have a lab science Masters. As of 2015 entry they want things like Chemistry or Biomed whereas they used to be fairly flexible. If you can get a Chemistry A Level you could apply to Barts (has to be a B or higher) or you could try SGUL with what you have but that means sitting GAMSAT. You'd also be fine for Swansea, Nottingham, Newcastle and Warwick.
Reply 562
Original post by Rosser1994
Well I've just heard back that I've been offered a position as a bank healthcare assistant, which I'm going to take over attending a full-time HCA position interview.

I think it'll offer me the same amount of experience + I'll get to visit many different wards.. And I'll get as much time as I find necessary to practice for the entrance exams.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bank HCA at a hospital and its great getting to experience different wards and having flexibility to study like you say. At my hospital there are always so many shifts so you are guaranteed work aswell.
Did any of you who work as HCA's need an NVQ for it?
Reply 564
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

No NVQ needed for me. I just had a lot of voluntary experience and looking after family members.
Reply 565
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

Nope, just a bit of healthcare/caring experience to reflect on at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a third year Radiography student about to graduate. I have CCC in Chem, Bio and Maths at A-Level and a radiography job secured at King's. My choices for grad med for 2018 are St George's (Where I currently do radiography), Southhampton, Warwick and Nottingham. Are there any others people recommend? What do you reckon my chances are xD!
Original post by RadStudent2016
I'm a third year Radiography student about to graduate. I have CCC in Chem, Bio and Maths at A-Level and a radiography job secured at King's. My choices for grad med for 2018 are St George's (Where I currently do radiography), Southhampton, Warwick and Nottingham. Are there any others people recommend? What do you reckon my chances are xD!

You sound like a real promising candidate already but your chances really depend on your ukcat and gamsat. If you nail those you're a shoo in! 👍 Southampton require chemistry which you have but I'm not sure what grade. I do remember not applying there myself as my a levels would have let me down though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisagee10
You sound like a real promising candidate already but your chances really depend on your ukcat and gamsat. If you nail those you're a shoo in! 👍 Southampton require chemistry which you have but I'm not sure what grade. I do remember not applying there myself as my a levels would have let me down though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm already working on both the GAMSAT and UKCAT. I have contacted the relevant medical schools to check they won't reject me immediately and Southhampton require Chem at A-Level C. What are you doing now?
...Are there any others people recommend? What do you reckon my chances are xD!

Have a look at Newcastle and Swansea too.
It will all boil down to your test scores really. Most places only need a 2:i after that it's all down to meeting that year's cutoff for interview. Once you get an interview the odds are really good for getting a place. Averaging at least 730 in UKCAT seems to be a safe bet everywhere, same for 62 in the GAMSAT. Obviously some people get interviews with less but aim to be high on the list. Warwick and Swansea tend to have the lowest cutoffs but then they have way more places than everywhere else.
Original post by Quilverine
Have a look at Newcastle and Swansea too.
It will all boil down to your test scores really. Most places only need a 2:i after that it's all down to meeting that year's cutoff for interview. Once you get an interview the odds are really good for getting a place. Averaging at least 730 in UKCAT seems to be a safe bet everywhere, same for 62 in the GAMSAT. Obviously some people get interviews with less but aim to be high on the list. Warwick and Swansea tend to have the lowest cutoffs but then they have way more places than everywhere else.

Thanks for your reply, I've looked at those places today. Based on where I live at the moment, they are a bit of a stretch for me! Do you currently study medicine?

What are you predicted to achieve in your Radiology degree classification wise?
Thanks for your reply, I've looked at those places today. Based on where I live at the moment, they are a bit of a stretch for me! Do you currently study medicine?

Not yet, but I'm going to Warwick this year. My qualifications were no good for my "local" unis :frown: (Bristol and Oxford have pretty strict A Level and degree subject requirements).
Not yet, but I'm going to Warwick this year. My qualifications were no good for my "local" unis :frown: (Bristol and Oxford have pretty strict A Level and degree subject requirements).

Well done for Warwick! What degree did you do?
Original post by Marathi
What are you predicted to achieve in your Radiology degree classification wise?

Hey, we don't have predictions at my university so I just have to work as hard as I can and hope for the best really! My dissertation grade was less that desirable due to a terrible tutor.. Which I am currently appealing!
Thanks! I'm already working on both the GAMSAT and UKCAT. I have contacted the relevant medical schools to check they won't reject me immediately and Southhampton require Chem at A-Level C. What are you doing now?

I'm waiting to start Swansea GEM in September. Good luck with the gamsat and ukcat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done for Warwick! What degree did you do?

Clinical photography. Essentially radiography with a different portion of the EMS :wink: less ionizing radiation, more getting very close to anal abcesses and ulcerated toes.
Original post by Lisagee10
I'm waiting to start Swansea GEM in September. Good luck with the gamsat and ukcat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! What degree did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clinical photography. Essentially radiography with a different portion of the EMS :wink: less ionizing radiation, more getting very close to anal abcesses and ulcerated toes.

Haha! Sounds lovely! How was your experience of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, we don't have predictions at my university so I just have to work as hard as I can and hope for the best really! My dissertation grade was less that desirable due to a terrible tutor.. Which I am currently appealing!

Well try your best with any remaining work to ensure that it is at a 2.1+ level. Having a 2.2 makes this process a lot more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending