The Student Room Group

Do you think Obama was arrogant to come over and tell us how to vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
So the US intervention in WW2 ultimately harmed us?

in a way yes it did they wanted huge amounts of money and our air bases in return for a few frigates. Russia won ww2 not USA or Great Britain. America is not our ally but a foreign country with it's own interests and agenda.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3555820/PETER-HITCHENS-America-isn-t-special-friend-ruined-Navy-Empire-future.html
Original post by karl pilkington
in a way yes it did they wanted huge amounts of money and our air bases in return for a few frigates. Russia won ww2 not USA or Great Britain. America is not our ally but a foreign country with it's own interests and agenda.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3555820/PETER-HITCHENS-America-isn-t-special-friend-ruined-Navy-Empire-future.html

You were doing really well until you quoted the Daily Fail. Of course they have interested and so do we. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if the UK leaves the EU and Boris becomes PM, should the US do something against our own interests, he will be straight on the next plane going over there to lecture them on why they shouldn't do it.

To be frank, I would be worried if the US President hadn't had his say. It is only a big issue for Brexit because it is contrary to their campaign so they are dressing it up as interference whilst conveniently forgetting that the UK has a long history of interfering in other countries business, most recently Syria, then Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq. And that is just the last 13 years!
Original post by ByEeek
You were doing really well until you quoted the Daily Fail. Of course they have interested and so do we. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if the UK leaves the EU and Boris becomes PM, should the US do something against our own interests, he will be straight on the next plane going over there to lecture them on why they shouldn't do it.

To be frank, I would be worried if the US President hadn't had his say. It is only a big issue for Brexit because it is contrary to their campaign so they are dressing it up as interference whilst conveniently forgetting that the UK has a long history of interfering in other countries business, most recently Syria, then Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq. And that is just the last 13 years!

The point isn't that they are doing something in their interests that's a given it's the fact that it is dressed up as being in our interests. The bit about trade is pointless scaremongering. The daily mail article is brilliant and succinct there is no such thing as a special relationship. Also I don't agree with any of our recent interventions in other countries. Also I believe there is more to life than money. Our independence and sovereignty are more important to me and so I regard the American opinions as hypocritical and irrelevant.
Original post by karl pilkington
Also I believe there is more to life than money. Our independence and sovereignty are more important to me and so I regard the American opinions as hypocritical and irrelevant.

That is all well and good. But if there are no jobs and you have no way of supporting yourself, what exactly are you going to do? Because emigrating to Europe is going to be out of the question.

In a world economy, what exactly is an independent sovereign nation? The idea simply does not exist any more. China and the US implement huge swathes of EU directives just like we do. Nothing will change if we leave the EU except we will become a world backwater with little or no influence on anything. Scotland will become independent and little England will never be more irrelevant.
Reply 24
Its funny how Leavers splutter about the US interfering in British affairs when Obama tells it how it is. Leavers should be grateful a politician speaks his mind rather than the mealy mouth platitudes and obfuscation they often complain politicians talk in.

Its also funny how they have no response to what Obama is saying and attack him instead of coming up with some facts that refutes what he says. It shows the Leave campaign is empty rhetoric, its a paper tiger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending