The Student Room Group

Exam practice

Hey

I've got the CGP EDEXCEL IGCSE MATHEMATICS EXAM PRACTICE BOOK which is BRILLIANT as it is full of exam style questions and I wanted to ask is it best to go backwards so learn the hardest content first and eventually get to the easiest considering I've only 3 weeks left until first Maths exam!!
Reply 1
The hard stuff surely assumes you know the easy stuff. Start basic.
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
The hard stuff surely assumes you know the easy stuff. Start basic.

OK but 3 weeks to go
Reply 3
Original post by _Xenon_
OK but 3 weeks to go

Why didn't you start earlier?
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
Why didn't you start earlier?

The book arrived today! :frown:
And I made a mistake. I need to get an A from a C with 8 hours revision a day
Reply 5
Original post by _Xenon_
Hey

I've got the CGP EDEXCEL IGCSE MATHEMATICS EXAM PRACTICE BOOK which is BRILLIANT as it is full of exam style questions and I wanted to ask is it best to go backwards so learn the hardest content first and eventually get to the easiest considering I've only 3 weeks left until first Maths exam!!

Start from the beginning but don't do all the questions. Start an exercise and if you find yourself thinking "lol, this is piss", then move on to last few questions of the exercise and do those, then finish off that chapter quickly and move on to the next one and rinse and repeat. If you find the starting questions hard, then on those exercises spend some time reading the material, asking for help on TSR and doing more of the questions. Basically, do less questions on the stuff you're comfortable with and more on the stuff you're not comfortable with, work on your weaknesses.

Like, just yesterdat you couldn't even do a simple differentiation, today only 18 hours later, you can bang them like nothing else.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Start from the beginning but don't do all the questions. Start an exercise and if you find yourself thinking "lol, this is piss", then move on to last few questions of the exercise and do those, then finish off that chapter quickly and move on to the next one and rinse and repeat. If you find the starting questions hard, then on those exercises spend some time reading the material, asking for help on TSR and doing more of the questions. Basically, do less questions on the stuff you're comfortable with and more on the stuff you're not comfortable with, work on your weaknesses.

Like, just yesterdat you couldn't even do a simple differentiation, today only 18 hours later, you can bang them like nothing else.

Thanks man. I can't rep atm it won't let me but thanks a lot I mean it. :smile:

I've started doing a lot of work, wish I started earlier but can't change that now better work extra hard now :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by _Xenon_
Thanks man. I can't rep atm it won't let me but thanks a lot I mean it. :smile:

I've started doing a lot of work, wish I started earlier but can't change that now better work extra hard now :wink:

Don't worry, I started working about 2/3 weeks before my exams and managed to do pretty well. Just put in the work. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Don't worry, I started working about 2/3 weeks before my exams and managed to do pretty well. Just put in the work. :smile:

Oh nice work. :smile:
Reply 9
Are you doing maths at A level?
Reply 10
Original post by Rajive
Are you doing maths at A level?

YES i intend to next year and I have a plan from day one to understand everything so I don't mess up later on in the year... Atm I'm doing IGCSE
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by _Xenon_
YES i hope so but I have a plan from day one for that so I don't mess up later on

Me to, i always get apprehensive about the difficulty.
Original post by Zacken

What did you get ? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Rajive
Me to, i always get apprehensive about the difficulty.

It's a good idea, I learnt a lesson from GCSEs that you should start early and you can get top grades hoping the same can be said for A-levels so from the first day I'll make sure I understand the topics properly ! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by nisha.sri
What did you get ? :smile:

For maths or in general?
Original post by Zacken
For maths or in general?

In general if you don't mind. :smile:
Reply 16
In general if you don't mind. :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Well done !! That's great !! :smile: What did you get the A for?
Reply 18
Well done !! That's great !! :smile: What did you get the A for?

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

:adore:

Quick Reply

Latest