The Student Room Group

I go to a state school, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Serine Soul

:five: I remember sitting in physics class in Year 11, talking to my Gs about how my sixth form college interviewer has recommended that I look at Cambridge as a potential uni, and they were like, 'yoo, it'll be so sick if one of us gets in'. Man needs to do them proud ygm?

ffffffsssssssss we had this convo in english in like november like 'do you know no one in the history of this school has been to oxford or cambridge yh' and then we were like 'time to break the cycle sum1 gonna get in fam'

has to be done g

also good luck on getting in omg!! do the boiz proud!!!!!!!
Original post by Texx
Where are you guys from if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious because I went to a fairly low quality state school but the area wasn't deprived at all, I'd like to know how different it was for you two.

East - Newham
Do you think you have lower aspirations than people who are privately educated? for example i want to be a multi millionaire. 'get rich or die tryin' - 50 cent
Reply 43
Original post by maximo17000
Do you think you have lower aspirations than people who are privately educated? for example i want to be a multi millionaire. 'get rich or die tryin' - 50 cent

Yeah lol you do that, then afterwards you can be saying "my flow, my show brought me that doe" :rofl:

Idk tbh, I would consider me and some of my friends aspirations to be pretty high - I have friends who want to go into all sorts of top careers/have top ambitions e.g. medicine, travel the world, law, start their own businesses etc (I'm personally not too motivated by money even though it is important)
My main goal is just to have a better life for myself and family through my own effort - not just through education but other stuff in general
Reply 44
Original post by drandy76
What's the difference between a state and public school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

State schools (also known as 'free schools') are funded by the government
Private schools (also known as ‘independent schools’) charge fees to attend instead of being funded by the government.

There are more differences in terms of the curriculum you have to follow (I think) and other stuff, but these are the ones I'm sure of
Haven't about 90% of TSR either attended or are in attendance at a state school?

For those wondering:

State/ Comprehensive school: Government funded, no academic requirements to get in
Grammar School: Government funded, must pass 11 plus test to get in
Private school: Non-government funded, you or parents must pay fees to go there

Grammar schools and private schools are most commonly associated with higher academic attainment yet I know one guy from my sixth form who went to a state school and is now at oxford studying medicine
(edited 7 years ago)
You say that as if its unusual - more than 45% of Oxford students are from non-grammar state schools!
Original post by Kiniun
I don't, most of my friends do though

You mean you actually paid for something similar to what you can get from the back end of a dog for free? Obviously your school wasnt that great:s-smilie:
Hello everyone! :wavey:

I've just had to bin an unholy amount of incredibly off-topic posts from here. If you would like to debate politics, please do so in the correct section, without derailing OP's thread.

Cheers!

OP: Do you think you would have done better in a different type of school? :holmes:
Reply 49
Original post by iEthan
Hello everyone! :wavey:

I've just had to bin an unholy amount of incredibly off-topic posts from here. If you would like to debate politics, please do so in the correct section, without derailing OP's thread.

Cheers!

OP: Do you think you would have done better in a different type of school? :holmes:

Thank you so much! I appreciate it:u:

I think I would have started off on a better note - my earlier years of secondary school were terrible
If I went to a private school I think I would have more opportunities to explore outside my subjects a bit more through school trips and stuff.
There are certain subjects that I do think I would be better at if I went to a different school, e.g languages because the limited resources used for teaching aren't great/sufficient
Reply 50
Original post by Laomedeia
You mean you actually paid for something similar to what you can get from the back end of a dog for free? Obviously your school wasnt that great:s-smilie:

Both my parents work so I can't get free school meals and the food they provide for us isn't that bad. Most of the time I tend to have my own lunch anyways

Quick Reply

Latest