The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matrix123
Soooo...the value of y has the opposite sign of the value of x? I'm sure that's not technically correct :tongue: I'll wait to see what Associativity has to say on the matter :u:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally, those double bars would be spoken to be the "modulus" or "mod" of the number (not to be confused with the modulo function, which is something different). So for instance, |x| would be read as "the modulus of x", or lazy (most) mathematicians would speak it to be "mod x". You might also hear this called the "absolute value", means the same.

The definition you gave was right in this context, for real numbers. You can think about it as the "Magnitude" of the number; i.e how big it is, regardless of its sign. So yes, you can define it as follows

{x, for x>=0
|x|= {
{-x. for x<0.

so |-5| = 5. Notice that for x=5 and x=-5, the value of |x| is the same. You can think of this as being because they have the same magnitude, just different signs.
(edited 7 years ago)
|x| has the shape of graph shown with both the person's hands going straight up, it's basically like drawing y=x, but reflecting everything left of the y axis in the x axis, to get a graph that looks like this: \/ (excuse ascii :smile: )

The other ones on there you might not have met are cot x (which is 1/tanx), log_a (x) (which is a number such that a^(log_a (x)) = x), and possibly x^2+y^2=a^2 (which is a circle).
(edited 7 years ago)

Sorry I can't rate you Matrix, the maths vid is great.

Note, that the last one on your pic isn't actually a function, so they couldn't really include this and call it "Uptown Funktions" :smile:.

If you like that, you may like (perhaps even find useful) this, and other videos by these people. They're a bit of a novelty, but actually really useful for explaining how sorting algorithms work. Here is the folk dance for the quicksort algorithm.
[video="youtube;ywWBy6J5gz8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWBy6J5gz8[/video]
You'll need an explanation on paper to understand how this works properly, but this is a nice demo.
Original post by Associativity

Note, that the last one on your pic isn't actually a function, so they couldn't really include this and call it "Uptown Funktions" :smile:.

If you like that, you may like (perhaps even find useful) this, and other videos by these people. They're a bit of a novelty, but actually really useful for explaining how sorting algorithms work. Here is the folk dance for the quicksort algorithm.
[video="youtube;ywWBy6J5gz8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWBy6J5gz8[/video]
You'll need an explanation on paper to understand how this works properly, but this is a nice demo.

I'm glad you're chief morale officer :proud:
Original post by iEthan
I'm glad you're chief morale officer :proud:

How come :biggrin:
How come :biggrin:

You're good at boosting morale :bigsmile:
:smile:
if u let me win I'll give you a cookie
Original post by bluemadhatter
if u let me win I'll give you a cookie

Deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Generally, those double bars would be spoken to be the "modulus" or "mod" of the number (not to be confused with the modulo function, which is something different). So for instance, |x| would be read as "the modulus of x", or lazy (most) mathematicians would speak it to be "mod x". You might also hear this called the "absolute value", means the same.

The definition you gave was right in this context, for real numbers. You can think about it as the "Magnitude" of the number; i.e how big it is, regardless of its sign. So yes, you can define it as follows

{x, for x>=0
|x|= {
{-x. for x<0.

so |-5| = 5. Notice that for x=5 and x=-5, the value of |x| is the same. You can think of this as being because they have the same magnitude, just different signs.

Ohhh OK.
Oooh that's cool! :yep: thanks for clearing that up
|x| has the shape of graph shown with both the person's hands going straight up, it's basically like drawing y=x, but reflecting everything left of the y axis in the x axis, to get a graph that looks like this: \/ (excuse ascii :smile: )

The other ones on there you might not have met are cot x (which is 1/tanx), log_a (x) (which is a number such that a^(log_a (x)) = x), and possibly x^2+y^2=a^2 (which is a circle).

Ahhh I understand :biggrin: I've come across the circle one before

No worries. Haha I'm glad you liked it :smile: well, it was rather enjoyable until my teacher played it and tried to get us to do the moves:colonhash:

Ahh that's absolutely unbelievable! Oh well, at least the others are right. Thanks for pointing that out :wink:

Oooh I love the sound of this! I'll watch it at some point today:yep: I'm learning about quicksort algorithms so I'm sure this will really come in handy :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{equation*}R = [br] [br]\displaystyle{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i-\bar{x})(y_i- [br] [br]\bar{y})}}{\displaystyle{\left[ [br] [br]\sum_{i=1}^n(x_i-\bar{x})^2 [br] [br]\sum_{i=1}^n(y_i-\bar{y})^2\right]^{1/2}}} [br] [br]\end{equation*}

:proud:
Did someone say cookie?:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, this video is amazing! :yep: :top:
Morning :yawn:
Original post by iEthan
Morning :yawn:

Morning, Ethan! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning, Ethan! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Matrix!!! :jive:

How're you? :hugs:
Original post by iEthan
Hi Matrix!!! :jive:

How're you? :hugs:

I'm great thanks! :hugs:

How are you!? :jive:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm great thanks! :hugs:

How are you!? :jive:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty good! Feeling rested :closedeyes: and still revising :jive:

Any plans today? Happy 1st of May! Pinch punch, etc. etc. :mmm:
Original post by iEthan
Pretty good! Feeling rested :closedeyes: and still revising :jive:

Any plans today? Happy 1st of May! Pinch punch, etc. etc. :mmm:

Yaay! That's great to hear:yep: oooh go Ethan! :jive:

Just revision and TSR atm:yep: same to you! You didn't technically say "no returns" so.... Pinch punch! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yaay! That's great to hear:yep: oooh go Ethan! :jive:

Just revision and TSR atm:yep: same to you! You didn't technically say "no returns" so.... Pinch punch! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heh :jive: you too! Oh damn it! I knew I'd forgotten something :sad: I didn't get my tea last night, so I'm going downstairs to get some! :teeth:

Latest