The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TGS_Lila
It was in the newspapers o.o

Source? Plus 'the newspapers' frequently report stuff that isn't true. Take them with a pinch of salt.
Reply 41
Original post by KaminiZindagi
I think a black person chose to be black. My opinion. Lets have a debate.:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

make another thread, this ones busy.
Why would anyone choose to be gay instead of straight?

I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean in terms of choosing to accept the hassle that can often come with it.
Original post by ivybridge
It never ceases to tickle me how straight people think they can actually offer an insight into this question. How would you know? :lol:.

To be honest, why isn't it enough that literally every gay person ever says they didn't choose it?

Yes, thank you omg :redface:
It is like saying to a cat what is it like to be a dog? crap example ik but they can't possibly know unless they get inside our heads and it is funny how all the people who say it is a choice are the ones who aren't gay/bi themselves lol
make another thread, this ones busy.

think about it...and learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think a black person chose to be black. My opinion. Lets have a debate.:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're so childish.

You're comparing what somebody likes to what colour they are. No links at all. Some weeks I like cakes, other weeks I can't stand them. But that must be genetic right? Clearly not, what an absurd argument.
Original post by ivybridge
It never ceases to tickle me how straight people think they can actually offer an insight into this question. How would you know? :lol:.

To be honest, why isn't it enough that literally every gay person ever says they didn't choose it?

To tell the truth, the reason i am posting this question is because i liked a girl enough to kiss her, she was the only one. That is why im asking
It was in the newspapers o.o

Debate rule #3 - You reference a newspaper, you automatically invalidate your debate.
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.
i kinda agree with you cos there are lot of factors to consider here such as the way someone was raised, environment their in, if they were traumatized at a young age, taped
Reply 49
Original post by WoodyMKC
Debate rule #3 - You reference a newspaper, you automatically invalidate your debate.

...i dont think they can fake someone from the LGBT Community quotes. There would of been problems.
Original post by ForgetMe
Saying that gay is a choice shows a lack of intelligence. By saying people choose to be gay, you're also saying that we all chose to be white/black or any other skin colour, we chose our genders etc.

Just sit and think, who would choose a life where being gay is a death penalty, who would choose to be pushed off a building? Who would choose to be bullied for being gay or not even allowed to hold hands in public? :erm:

Also, I don't see where I was rude, I didn't call you dumb or anything.

Ah people like you worry me. "You having a different opinion to me shows a lack of intelligence" - Has to be the most bigoted and unsupported thing I've read in months.

The things you like (i.e genders you fancy) has nothing to do with what colour of skin you're born with. You're telling me that your whole life you food tastes/ interests have never changed? Oh but you didn't make a conscious choice to change what tastes nice? Because we all know they have, meaning they're not genetic, meaning the things you like aren't genetically decided. Come on don't make yourself look silly, be more open minded.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
You're so childish.

You're comparing what somebody likes to what colour they are. No links at all. Some weeks I like cakes, other weeks I can't stand them. But that must be genetic right? Clearly not, what an absurd argument.

:hmmm:
Regardless how sexualities are formed, it is not a choice, just like race or gender.

Sexuality is not fluid btw
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
i kinda agree with you cos there are lot of factors to consider here such as the way someone was raised, environment their in, if they were traumatized at a young age, taped

So why do you agree with the OP then? Those factors are factors - not examples of choice.
Original post by JamesN88
Why would anyone choose to be gay instead of straight?

I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean in terms of choosing to accept the hassle that can often come with it.

Think of the age that a person learns and/or decided who they fancy. Do you think they're of the age that they are able to understand the "abuse" gay people get? My little brother told me he fancied this girl when he was 5, and he sure didn't know the difference between being gay or straight in terms of how society treats you.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Ah people like you worry me. "You having a different opinion to me shows a lack of intelligence" - Has to be the most bigoted and unsupported thing I've read in months.

The things you like (i.e genders you fancy) has nothing to do with what colour of skin you're born with. You're telling me that your whole life you food tastes/ interests have never changed? Oh but you didn't make a conscious choice to change what tastes nice? Because we all know they have, meaning they're not genetic, meaning the things you like aren't genetically decided. Come on don't make yourself look silly, be more open minded.

It's more bigoted to say that someone chooses to be gay. Why would some of us choose to be gay knowing that in some parts of the world you will get beaten for it or that one day you'll never come home?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
To tell the truth, the reason i am posting this question is because i liked a girl enough to kiss her, she was the only one. That is why im asking

Have a read about the Kinsey Scale. :smile:

...i dont think they can fake someone from the LGBT Community quotes. There would of been problems.

Have you seen the stuff about Hillsborough this week and everything that The Sun fabricated?
Yes, thank you omg :redface:
It is like saying to a cat what is it like to be a dog? crap example ik but they can't possibly know unless they get inside our heads and it is funny how all the people who say it is a choice are the ones who aren't gay/bi themselves lol

i dont think thats necessarily true as people that are gay/lesbian/bi do say that they think it was a choice.
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D

Why is that everyone's go to argument? Have you seen rape and sexual abuse srats compared to the stats of non cis and non hetero people? Not everyone will have experienced some form of abuse, in fact the majority won't have. I think we are all at perfect liberty to say we know who we are attracted to ourselves and that shouldn't make a differencd. Did being sexually abused make you straight? No. Because its seen as a norm. But now not being straight is also becoming a norm so the argument becomes completely invalid.
:hmmm:
Regardless how sexualities are formed, it is not a choice, just like race or gender.

Sexuality is not fluid btw
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're saying it as if it's fact, yet it's not, otherwise there'd be no debate here.

Yes because you know how every single person ever has thought about what gender they fancied, and throughout their whole lives it's never changed/ altered temporarily or permenantly...
i dont think thats necessarily true as people that are gay/lesbian/bi do say that they think it was a choice.

well ivybridge and forgetme are gay and im lesbian and well all think it isnt so your statement is incorrect just by the virtue of that fact

Latest

Trending

Trending