The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

Can one choose to make a choice, or does he not have a choice to choose?
Original post by likklepenis
Im going to be honest here.

If you like sticking your d**k in another man there is no problem, however i hate it when gays dress in pink and use their sexuality for everything. Just because in straight doesn't mean that i should be angry or show the world im straight. If you have less rights you can protest, but don't go and be a douche in social situations. It's gays who are annoying. Being annoying is a choice. Being gay may not.

You basically just used this thread to explain why you hate metrosexuality? Which is, by the way, not a "gay" thing. It's a stupid stereotype.
Original post by ivybridge
Except sexual orientation and human affection are not comparable to a drink.

I assume this is purely because you said so and no other reason? Sexual preference is just that, a preference, like the drinks you like.

Original post by RachaelBee
But the sort of drinks you like depends on your taste buds (determined by genetics), and you might try more than one but what you like isn't an actual choice per say.

To say the drinks you like are genetically determined implies that either 1) You'd know your favourite drink before you tasted them all (which obviously humans can't do, but that's the only other theoretical possibility) or 2) Somehow your body has predetermined/ pre-compared all flavours of drink possible. To have a favourite, you must be able to compare it with another. This requires knowledge of preference/ taste. I'm pretty sure your brain doesn't have little sachets containing tiny amounts of all flavours.
Original post by Anonymous
i agree that it is a choice.
Reason is being..why are people also bisexual?
i thought it was one or the other, how could it be both?

How does bisexuality prove there's a choice element? What ridiculous 'logic'.
Original post by TGS_Lila
I've read the links.
Firstly, the number of people that are homosexual is increasing. why? because people make choices to be ghay where it is acceptable. Countries like korea and india have no one that is homosexual, also theres no law on it, ive only heard of one person being gay in korea and nothing happened to them. Therefore if it is a choice i think people will more likely..make a decision.
Also im not homophobic im just saying out what im thinking and many others do to.

what a dumbass
do u actually think ...?
the number of homosexual people is not increasing. the number of "out" people is increasing... 100 or 1000 years ago the percentage of homosexual people was the same but at that time as being gay was something unacceptable, people were not out as gay or bi,,,
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I assume this is purely because you said so and no other reason? Sexual preference is just that, a preference, like the drinks you like.

To say the drinks you like are genetically determined implies that either 1) You'd know your favourite drink before you tasted them all (which obviously humans can't do, but that's the only other theoretical possibility) or 2) Somehow your body has predetermined/ pre-compared all flavours of drink possible. To have a favourite, you must be able to compare it with another. This requires knowledge of preference/ taste. I'm pretty sure your brain doesn't have little sachets containing tiny amounts of all flavours.

No, because it isn't? Lol, for the reasons I gave. The complexity of human love and attraction goes way beyond what tastebuds make of a particular substance. Don't get pissy because somebody thinks you're chatting ****.
In my deterministic view of the universe, nothing is a choice.
You basically just used this thread to explain why you hate metrosexuality? Which is, by the way, not a "gay" thing. It's a stupid stereotype.

Why are you getting so butt hurt! (If you don't get the joke kys) :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
what a dumbass
do u actually think ...?
the number of homosexual people is not increasing. the number of "out" people is increasing... 100 or 1000 years ago the percentage of homosexual people was the same but at that time as being gay was something unacceptable, people were not out as gay or bi,,,

Firstly im not a dumbass, you dont need to be rude.-.-"

k I see your opinion thank you.
Original post by ForgetMe
I've never read a nonsense like this ..

"A nonsense"

Argue it then, but we all know you can't.

Original post by EricPiphany

This is something similar to what I've seen before, and all it proves is that "choice" is the wrong word. In order to make a choice, you must decide something. Well what if you decide to not decide? A better term for it, in my opinion, is to "come to a conclusion". In order to come to a conclusion, you must've compared (which is done subconsciously, whether you fight it or not). However you can come to a conclusion without making a choice. I.e I tend to find women more attractive, but I'm yet to actively choose what gender I want to persue relationships with. Hard to explain but I hope you understand.
Original post by likklepenis
Why are you getting so butt hurt! (If you don't get the joke kys) :smile:

Because this is a very significant issue to my life. The stereotypes are a pain in the neck. I've met like 3 or 4 camp gay men in my life and that's it. The rest were barely 'obvious' even to me. I just hate this barbie doll stereotype because it's *******s.

Plus, pink looks good on men anyway, it's a colour - don't cry.
Original post by EricPiphany

i guess :/
Original post by ComputerMaths97
"A nonsense"

Argue it then, but we all know you can't.

This is something similar to what I've seen before, and all it proves is that "choice" is the wrong word. In order to make a choice, you must decide something. Well what if you decide to not decide? A better term for it, in my opinion, is to "come to a conclusion". In order to come to a conclusion, you must've compared (which is done subconsciously, whether you fight it or not). However you can come to a conclusion without making a choice. I.e I tend to find women more attractive, but I'm yet to actively choose what gender I want to persue relationships with. Hard to explain but I hope you understand.

There's no point because you're stuck with your opinion. Just tell me one thing, why someone would choose to be gay and know that they can get death penalty for that? And your point on comparison between choices, how then you chose to be straight without trying it first with same sex? I mean if you choose something that you prefer, you first must try it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because this is a very significant issue to my life. The stereotypes are a pain in the neck. I've met like 3 or 4 camp gay men in my life and that's it. The rest were barely 'obvious' even to me. I just hate this barbie doll stereotype because it's *******s.

Plus, pink looks good on men anyway, it's a colour - don't cry.

Sweet Jesus...

You sound pissed af, but i kinda get how u feel because im Muslim and that sterotype is annoying.

Does the Metro sterotype annoy you??
No, because it isn't? Lol, for the reasons I gave. The complexity of human love and attraction goes way beyond what tastebuds make of a particular substance. Don't get pissy because somebody thinks you're chatting ****.

Your argument is that sexual preference cannot be compared to drink preference, and your supporting evidence for the claim doesn't exist beyond "because I said so".

It's very fair to compare two different preferences, same as its very fair to compare two different drinks, or two different genders.
Reply 95
Here is my opinion:
Being gay is a decision, not a choice

Here is why I think this is: (please respect my opinion and don't go lashing out at me)

1. By genetics: We are born to reproduce, point blank. We are, and that's how we are made. Why would all people who decide to be gay have fully functioning reproducing systems within their bodies (excluding disabilities), if they were 'born' gay? (this does favour the choice side, however we need an unbias response)

2. If gay is a choice, so is being straight. I believe this to be true, even though we are created to reproduce, we don't go through puberty (where we begin to identify our sexuality), until the age of around 11. This could still mean we are aware of what our reproducing system does (through education), but don't understand how to use it until we begin going through puberty.

So ages between 0-11, I believe it is all environmental factors that make us gay or straight. Most people are straight because they see it as the ethical thing to do, all their life they've believed that is the correct thing to do. Education teaches us that to reproduce a man must be with a woman, which contributes to most of the population being straight. I also believe that friends influence it as well e.g who you hang around with. Now that gay marriage and such has been accepted within the UK, the first 'ethical' reason of why we should be straight begins to fade away and we see more people becoming gay.

If it is a conscious or unconscious approach, our bodies will make the decision to be gay or straight, so that doesn't mean it's a choice. You see, the body makes a decision, not a choice. Take note of the different words. Choice and Decision.

If you were gay, and went out with a woman and you didn't want to be within that relationship, the choice is to find a man. But the decision your body has made is that you are interested in men. You understand my point?

Who agrees and who doesn't?
Original post by ForgetMe
There's no point because you're stuck with your opinion.

4 replies later and you can't argue my points so I'm going to just assume you've accepted defeat but refuse to act defeated.
Original post by Drunq
Here is my opinion:
Being gay is a decision, not a choice

Here is why I think this is: (please respect my opinion and don't go lashing out at me)

1. By genetics: We are born to reproduce, point blank. We are, and that's how we are made. Why would all people who decide to be gay have fully functioning reproducing systems within their bodies (excluding disabilities), if they were 'born' gay? (this does favour the choice side, however we need an unbias response)

2. If gay is a choice, so is being straight. I believe this to be true, even though we are created to reproduce, we don't go through puberty (where we begin to identify our sexuality), until the age of around 11. This could still mean we are aware of what our reproducing system does (through education), but don't understand how to use it until we begin going through puberty.

So ages between 0-11, I believe it is all environmental factors that make us gay or straight. Most people are straight because they see it as the ethical thing to do, all their life they've believed that is the correct thing to do. Education teaches us that to reproduce a man must be with a woman, which contributes to most of the population being straight. I also believe that friends influence it as well e.g who you hang around with. Now that gay marriage and such has been accepted within the UK, the first 'ethical' reason of why we should be straight begins to fade away and we see more people becoming gay.

If it is a conscious or unconscious approach, our bodies will make the decision to be gay or straight, so that doesn't mean it's a choice. You see, the body makes a decision, not a choice. Take note of the different words. Choice and Decision.

If you were gay, and went out with a woman and you didn't want to be within that relationship, the choice is to find a man. But the decision your body has made is that you are interested in men. You understand my point?

Who agrees and who doesn't?

I think these are fair points, and I've always agreed that "choice" is the wrong word, since it implies a point in time. Decision does also imply that those, and decision pretty much equals choice. If you make a decision, you've made a choice, and to make a choice you must make a decision. I do think it's not entirely genetic though, otherwise there would be less issues like the one you stated, and the fact that people may be "confused" about their sexuality before a certain point.

I think it's extremely fair to assume being gay is technically a genetic disorder, but if you word it like that people get incredibly offended for some reason. Despite the percentages of gay people in populations being similar to percentages of people with dominant allele genetic disorders.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
But if it's a choice as is being claimed they could simply choose to no longer be gay.

very good point! That proves being gay is not a choice!
So basically being homosexual is a choice.
This agrees with both sides of the argument because:

Being gay is a choice: Choosing to like a someone of the same gender because you like them.
Being gay is not a choice/; Choosing to take that big step towards someone you love even though people in society may not accept that.

...I dont get why we are fighting this!

Hopefullly this is the last post.
Thank you @tgs Lila for a very interesting question.
kk everyone go do something.

Latest

Trending

Trending