The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

I don't feel it's a choice it's like saying to a straight guy they can only fancy men but they might not be attracted to them physically or emotionally that's how it feels for me.
I have always felt a connection with women not men I can find them attractive but not sexually so I don't feel it's a choice.
If I dated a guy I know I wouldn't love him just like how a straight guy would not love another man.
Original post by TGS_Lila
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

Obviously you'd "think" that...but then again, you're not one yourself, so it's not expected that you would understand.
Of course it's a choice! You don't feel attracted to men when you pop out, now do you? Ot's a choice, science says so, and people just say no it isn't to not "offend" homosexuals.
Reply 123
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I think these are fair points, and I've always agreed that "choice" is the wrong word, since it implies a point in time. Decision does also imply that those, and decision pretty much equals choice. If you make a decision, you've made a choice, and to make a choice you must make a decision. I do think it's not entirely genetic though, otherwise there would be less issues like the one you stated, and the fact that people may be "confused" about their sexuality before a certain point.

I think it's extremely fair to assume being gay is technically a genetic disorder, but if you word it like that people get incredibly offended for some reason. Despite the percentages of gay people in populations being similar to percentages of people with dominant allele genetic disorders.

Just because the percentages are similar doesn't mean it's the same people. And if it is a "genetic disorder" then wouldn't that mean that being homosexual is defined by genetics and not decisions? People are "confused" because they grow up in a world which promote heterosexuality, and when you start feeling something different you wonder why that is because it hasn't been explained to you by your parents, friends or society I.e confusion.
Original post by brainhuman
I think being stupid is a choice, too. People aren't born smart or stupid, I think it's a choice. Some people are just bad at making the right choices.

Technically, some people can be born "stupid." Brain development during pregnancy and parental care through nutrition influences the IQ of people. So, yes, some people are born stupid, while some are born smart.
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

Every gay person I've ever met has told me they were born the way they are. Why do you think you know better?
Jesus Christ. Being gay used to be classified as a mental disorder. Do you think people would have chosen to be gay back than? Homosexuality is found in so many bloody animal species that it can't be classified as a choice. "There's no gay people in India or Korea" OK BUT HAVE YOU ASKED EVERY LAST INDIAN OR KOREAN PERSON? Take a look in the closest, you'll find at least 2, trust me.
So many young people face homelessness when telling their family that they're gay, especially in America. In some countries you can be killed for being gay. People do get killed for being gay.

I'm sorry but with this in mind I can't see why anyone would choose to be gay.
i actually cant believe that we are in the 21st cerntury and their are people still talking about it, just wow, and to answer this question i think u need to review ur life becuase being gay is not a choice just like being straight isnt a choice so go and do a favour and get on with ur life pal no point dicussing if ur not prepared to accept it mate

So you really think being bullied, made fun of, judjed, kicked out of home because even your parents dont accept you, in some countries dont even able to find a job, for many years afraid of admitting it even to your friends is a choice? :s-smilie:
Some homosexual people have even committed suicide.

Do we live in the same planet?😝

Spoiler

It's not a choice!
You think people go through bullying, getting kicked out, treated differently for the fun of it?
Reply 130
Original post by ivybridge
Yes? Actually? Because when it comes to this issue, anecdotes are acceptable. Ypu will NEVER find an answer to this question if you maintain it is a choice.

And no, it's really not but that's your opinion and you're stubborn so just keep it.

Disagree.

updated version of my arguement:

Original post by Drunq
okay, just forget about that first example about genetics because i literally have no clue about genetics.

Use this example plus the rest of the post i wrote:
If you have a spasm within your body, that is something your body automatically does to try and fix the problem that has occurred. That's known as unconsciously thinking, and the body making the choice by itself to go within that spasm to sort the problem out. However because your body made the choice of going into a spasm, you as a person (conscious), the thinking part of your body didn't make that choice.

Now, for being gay, your body makes a choice on an unconscious level. And we just said that when your body makes a choice on an unconscious level it isn't you making the choice.

Okay now so we understand that this person is gay, and his unconscious self has made the choice to be gay, let's take us back to our conscious self, the self where we think for ourselves and we can make choices.

Now because your body has made that choice by itself, it means we didn't make the choice.
So my conclusion was: Your body makes the choice, not yourself, meaning you do not choose to be gay.
This is ridiculous. "Gay people have it so easy" - uh, no? What are you on? Everything that is listed happens to gay people, more so than asexuals I wager.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to clarify, I wasn't being serious, it was a wordplay joke. I HATE the world "ace" to describe asexuals, where I'm from if someone describes you as "ace" it means you're cool, you're a great guy, they like you. I'm not an asexual by any stretch truth be told.
Original post by Anonymous
Of course it's a choice! You don't feel attracted to men when you pop out, now do you? Ot's a choice, science says so, and people just say no it isn't to not "offend" homosexuals.

Yeah, okay pal. It's called development.
cant believe this debate still going on ..lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you think people are naturally born straight, that heterosexuality is a choice?
Okay tben. So why do you have people that identify as asexual who will have sex for whatever reason, but then also people who are celibate?

They can be seen as similar, but celibacy is a choice. You make it and you adhere to it for however long. Asexuality isn't a choice, its always been there, as part of you, snd will always be there. You aren't going to turn 40 and want to **** everyone because you are now attracted to them! Its never going to change. You're never going to feel sexual attraction towards anyone at anypoint in your life.
Original post by Wired_1800
Technically, some people can be born "stupid." Brain development during pregnancy and parental care through nutrition influences the IQ of people. So, yes, some people are born stupid, while some are born smart.

Dude, read my reply then the OP.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just to clarify, I wasn't being serious, it was a wordplay joke. I HATE the world "ace" to describe asexuals, where I'm from if someone describes you as "ace" it means you're cool, you're a great guy, they like you. I'm not an asexual by any stretch truth be told.

I've genuinely never stumbled across the colloquialism 'ace' before in regards to asexuality, I was reading the thread responses completely lost as to what 'ace' meant other than being synonymous with 'cool.'

Edit - didn't mean to quote
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you genuinely believe gay people have it easy? I wouldn't class discrimination, harassment etcetera as 'easy'

Latest