The Student Room Group

Best iPad Apps for Medical Lectures/Revision?

So after wasting about 20 trees-worth of paper and gallons of printer ink in my first year of medicine I've decided it's time to enter the 21st century and get an iPad rather than printing my notes. I'm aiming to get the iPad Pro 9.7 with the Apple Pencil so I can annotate lecture slides but I've really struggled to find a good source online with the most useful applications for medical students. After playing around on a non-medical friend's iPad for a few minutes I found I wasn't even able to download powerpoints from my medicine portal and frankly was lost on the App Store trying to find apps for lecture note organising, annotating, etc. Basically, I'm useless.

So tl;dr, can anyone enlighten me on what apps people use to annotate and save lectures? A really good app(s) for each of the following points would be great (whether the app is free or not isn't an issue):

1) Annotating lecture slides (powerpoint, word and pdf)
2) Organising/saving lecture files for each module of my course.
3) Anatomy revision/a really good 3D anatomy app.

How do people download powerpoints to their iPad storage because when I tried to do it there was no 'Save' option and it would be a bit pointless getting an iPad if I couldn't even download my lectures to it.

Also, I'm torn between getting the 32gb or the potentially unnecessarily large 128gb model. If I'm downloading 200+ powerpoints would I be foolish not to invest in the 128gb model or should I invest in the 32gb and cloud storage instead? I don't plan to download videos or have copious amounts of pictures - just lecture notes and a few hundred songs. I'm pretty tech-savvy in general but when it comes to Apple I'm literally clueless as the only Apple product I own is a broken 2nd generation iPod Video.

I appreciate the help and hope this is the right forum to post this in! If not, please can a moderator move it to a more suitable one. Thanks
Original post by ChemistryTho
So after wasting about 20 trees-worth of paper and gallons of printer ink in my first year of medicine I've decided it's time to enter the 21st century and get an iPad rather than printing my notes. I'm aiming to get the iPad Pro 9.7 with the Apple Pencil so I can annotate lecture slides but I've really struggled to find a good source online with the most useful applications for medical students. After playing around on a non-medical friend's iPad for a few minutes I found I wasn't even able to download powerpoints from my medicine portal and frankly was lost on the App Store trying to find apps for lecture note organising, annotating, etc. Basically, I'm useless.

So tl;dr, can anyone enlighten me on what apps people use to annotate and save lectures? A really good app(s) for each of the following points would be great (whether the app is free or not isn't an issue):

How do people download powerpoints to their iPad storage because when I tried to do it there was no 'Save' option and it would be a bit pointless getting an iPad if I couldn't even download my lectures to it.

Also, I'm torn between getting the 32gb or the potentially unnecessarily large 128gb model. If I'm downloading 200+ powerpoints would I be foolish not to invest in the 128gb model or should I invest in the 32gb and cloud storage instead? I don't plan to download videos or have copious amounts of pictures - just lecture notes and a few hundred songs. I'm pretty tech-savvy in general but when it comes to Apple I'm literally clueless as the only Apple product I own is a broken 2nd generation iPod Video.

I appreciate the help and hope this is the right forum to post this in! If not, please can a moderator move it to a more suitable one. Thanks

1. Notability or Iannotate. Notability is cheaper and used by most at my medschool. I prefer Iannotate because you can tab things and so you can flick between documents, whereas notability is only one at a time.
2. Both of the above apps allow you to sort under catagories/files so most people can organise to their hearts content. You can then back up to whatever cloud storage you use (this is easier to do on notability than Iannotate).
We had the 16gb version given to use and I've still got all my lectures and annotations from pre-clinical saved with no problem. I know others delete notes once they're done with a term but I don't know if that is storage related. I can't imagine you'd need huge amounts of storage space but it depends on how much else you actually end up using it for.
3. Essential anatomy 5 is a great anatomy tool, and I would imagine will be even better on the pro. But I would hold off buying anything like that until you actually get started with anatomy teaching, EA5 is best for MSK than systems anatomy. The website teachmeanatomy is free and covers most things well.
Original post by ForestCat
1. Notability or Iannotate. Notability is cheaper and used by most at my medschool. I prefer Iannotate because you can tab things and so you can flick between documents, whereas notability is only one at a time.
2. Both of the above apps allow you to sort under catagories/files so most people can organise to their hearts content. You can then back up to whatever cloud storage you use (this is easier to do on notability than Iannotate).
We had the 16gb version given to use and I've still got all my lectures and annotations from pre-clinical saved with no problem. I know others delete notes once they're done with a term but I don't know if that is storage related. I can't imagine you'd need huge amounts of storage space but it depends on how much else you actually end up using it for.
3. Essential anatomy 5 is a great anatomy tool, and I would imagine will be even better on the pro. But I would hold off buying anything like that until you actually get started with anatomy teaching, EA5 is best for MSK than systems anatomy. The website teachmeanatomy is free and covers most things well.

Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive answer! Just gave Notability and iAnnotate a quick google and they both seem excellent - I've definitely seen lots of people in my year using Notability and at first glance I like its layout better but the swapping between documents from iAnnotate seems very useful, particularly when it comes to revising from my notes. Swapping between the lecture and a study guide/supplimentary material seems like an important feature. I wish I could try them both but I think I'm right in saying that Apple don't let you trial them then get a refund (like the Play Store)?

That's encouraging that you fit everything onto 16gb, I think it's the 32gb for me then. I'm like you in that I'd want to keep stuff from previous years handy.

We've started with anatomy and do it systems-style - EA5 looks great and would be really useful in dissection I think. Anatomy is fine for me but I think seeing everything in 3D is what a really need, though that teachmeanatomy site looks great too.

Thank you so much ForestCat, I really appreciate it. :smile:
Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive answer! Just gave Notability and iAnnotate a quick google and they both seem excellent - I've definitely seen lots of people in my year using Notability and at first glance I like its layout better but the swapping between documents from iAnnotate seems very useful, particularly when it comes to revising from my notes. Swapping between the lecture and a study guide/supplimentary material seems like an important feature. I wish I could try them both but I think I'm right in saying that Apple don't let you trial them then get a refund (like the Play Store)?

That's encouraging that you fit everything onto 16gb, I think it's the 32gb for me then. I'm like you in that I'd want to keep stuff from previous years handy.

We've started with anatomy and do it systems-style - EA5 looks great and would be really useful in dissection I think. Anatomy is fine for me but I think seeing everything in 3D is what a really need, though that teachmeanatomy site looks great too.

Thank you so much ForestCat, I really appreciate it. :smile:

Another point for iannotate is it recognises text so you can properly highlight text. But its harder to edit annotations you've made (it doesn't have an eraser feature like notability, you have to remove the whole group of annotation).

Neither is horrifically expensive, so maybe start with notability and then change if you find you want more than one thing open at a time.

Agreeing with the notability/iAnnotate comment, they're the best! I started off using iAnnotate, switched to notability, absolutely love it. It's very easy to organise notes, highlight, annotate etc.

I have a 32gb iPad mini and it's half empty, although I have about 3 years of notes stored on it, plus apps etc so I think a 32gb would be ideal. Also, size may be something to factor in - during clinics I find it extremely easy to carry my mini around; whereas a friend who has the slightly bigger air struggles in clinics. It really depends on where/how you're planning on using it too.

So I have apps for anatomy: Essential Skeleton 4 (for bone anatomy) and VisAnatomyLite; however I found that Anatomy flashcards helped me more than the apps. I'd highly recommend either Netters or Gray's anatomy flashcards.
Thanks for the further insights guys! Will probably start with Notability cuz it's cheaper but move across to iAnnotate if I'm having problems.

I was considering a mini but if I'm going to be revising from it I'd prefer a bigger screen, plus the apple pencil compatibility is something I really want. I'm already a proud owner of the Greys anatomy flash cards but I haven't given them much of a look, maybe will now if it is gonna save me spending money on an anatomy app.

One more thing; is battery life good enough for a full day at uni? Thanks
Thanks for the further insights guys! Will probably start with Notability cuz it's cheaper but move across to iAnnotate if I'm having problems.

I was considering a mini but if I'm going to be revising from it I'd prefer a bigger screen, plus the apple pencil compatibility is something I really want. I'm already a proud owner of the Greys anatomy flash cards but I haven't given them much of a look, maybe will now if it is gonna save me spending money on an anatomy app.

One more thing; is battery life good enough for a full day at uni? Thanks

Yeah, it should last you. It always did for me, even with miscellaneous browsing etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending