The Student Room Group

Private tutor wants me to pay up even though I did not attend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
Just pay what you own and move on. It does not matter £70 is a lot, you agreed to it so its moot.

Original post by doodle_333
agree with the other poster, it is entirely your fault you did not attend (and he could have been sat there for 2 hours unable to do anything but wait for you), he lost an opportunity to potentially meet someone else who would turn up and pay him and he had probably already spent time planning the session - you should pay up and not be so selfish

also, grow up a bit... there is no excuse for getting completely lost and not finding somewhere important, you can easily set satnav directions or scope the route first
********, feck him hes overpriced anyways.

dont make the same mistake again. be on time.

the man is dealing with kids. he has to accept that some will be late/not turn up. he shouldve realised that getting in to the industry. if yeh dont turn up to a dentists yeh dont pay etc.

the main thing to learn from this is not to do it again. not a chance id pay though.
Thank you all for the replies, I am willing to pay for the one hour that I lost him, however, not for the other hour.I don't see the point in paying the full price. Moreover, my phone was genuinely not working, I was on the motorway and could not stop.

I only took up one hour of his time and he said he had to go to London so I kept him waiting. if my phone was working (I would have told him sooner).

I will pay for the one hour I have wasted.
Whether people on here think he's overpriced or not is irrelevant, you booked to attend his class and didn't turn up without letting him know in advance. He could have booked another student in to that slot if it hadn't been occupied.
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all for the replies, I am willing to pay for the one hour that I lost him, however, not for the other hour.I don't see the point in paying the full price. Moreover, my phone was genuinely not working, I was on the motorway and could not stop.

I only took up one hour of his time and he said he had to go to London so I kept him waiting. if my phone was working (I would have told him sooner).

I will pay for the one hour I have wasted.

You wasted two hours of his time. Even if you had told him earlier the same day he still wouldn't have time to re-arrange his timetable so he would be out of pocket anyway.

It's not his fault you got lost, and it's not his fault you let your phone contract go into arrears either.

Pay the man. In full. And apologise to him.

Learn a life lesson, and be better next time.
Original post by milliemogs
This is irrelevant, contracts can still be formed without anything in writing.

Indeed so, but SOME contracts have to be in writing.

His a rip off anyway
Original post by lulucoco98
Indeed so, but SOME contracts have to be in writing.

His a rip off anyway

Yes contracts relating to the sale of land etc. Not for hire of a private tutor.
Original post by jneill
You wasted two hours of his time. Even if you had told him earlier the same day he still wouldn't have time to re-arrange his timetable so he would be out of pocket anyway.

It's not his fault you got lost, and it's not his fault you let your phone contract go into arrears either.

Pay the man. In full. And apologise to him.

Learn a life lesson, and be better next time.

I've learnt and will be better prepared. I've been with him for 1.5 years and this is the only time it has happened. He has a day job Monday-Friday and he tutors in the evenings and weekends. He raised his price form £30 to £35 to reflect market conditions.

I wasted one hour of his time, not two hours. How could I let him know in advance if my phone is not working (which I have sufficient evidence). IF my phone was working, then I would have. I have evidence for this.

I've already apologised to him, I'm only paying him for only one hour, since this is the time I've wasted and their was a genuine reason for turning up.
70 quid is alot for him to be waiting for an hour, besides as he was waiting im sure he didnt sit facing the door awaiting your entrance, he was probably doing his own thing, tell him you honestly did lose your way, if he still doesnt believe you threaten to find another tutor so you get a reaction outta him
Reply 48
I've learnt and will be better prepared. I've been with him for 1.5 years and this is the only time it has happened. He has a day job Monday-Friday and he tutors in the evenings and weekends. He raised his price form £30 to £35 to reflect market conditions.

I wasted one hour of his time, not two hours. How could I let him know in advance if my phone is not working (which I have sufficient evidence). IF my phone was working, then I would have. I have evidence for this.

I've already apologised to him, I'm only paying him for only one hour, since this is the time I've wasted and their was a genuine reason for turning up.

The genuine reason for you not turning up is you getting lost. That's not his problem, it's a reason but that that doesn't excuse you from paying him.
You had a two hour slot - did you turn up after an hour? No. You owe him for 2 hours time.
Your phone wasn't working because you had gone into arrears on the contract. That's also your fault not his. (Not that it would make a difference if you did manage to tell him, he still wouldn't have been able to reschedule his appointmnets and would be out of pocket for 2 hours time).
Does the motorway have service stations (probably with public payphones)? Almost certainly. Did you bother to stop and ask for directions and/or warn him you would be late? No.

You would have known you were going to be late *before* the scheduled time slot, did you call him then? No.

Pay him the 2 hours he is due.
(edited 7 years ago)

You don't seem to understand how schedules work...perhaps you should get a tutor in that as well.

You wasted TWO hours of his time, because you booked TWO hours of his time. This obviously means he could not book someone else in for that time who would actually turn up and pay if they had called up and asked in advance because his schedule was booked for YOU. Telling him at 11 obviously did not leave him with enough time to book someone else in for the the next hour.

It's not his fault your phone wasn't texting or that you got lost, that is your problem not his. This is how the world works. He shouldn't have to lose money because of your incompetence.

Honestly, learn what consequences are. Good grief.
(edited 7 years ago)

You need to accept responsibility for your mistake and pay him what you for what you owe, the full two hours.

You've wasted two hours of his time not one as he could hardly magic another client out of thin air for the last hour to make up for his lost earnings.
Reply 51
Oh, and if you've been seeing this guy for one and half years how did you get lost this time?
(Not that it matters to your liability to pay him.)
Original post by milliemogs
Yes contracts relating to the sale of land etc. Not for hire of a private tutor.

Ok then
You could not make it and you did not pay for the service.

He has not told you a cancellation policy.

My friend does some private tutoring sessions and he cannot do anything if a student does not turn up. Your tutor should expect these things to happen and he is not sitting at the door waiting for you.

It's your fault for going out without a working phone, it's reasonable to expect someone to be contactable and it's not his problem to deal with that you didn't sort that out. You didn't have a genuine reason for not turning up, getting lost is your fault and with a basic amount of planning shouldn't have happened anyway (certainly not to the point you couldn't get there at all). He couldn't book another client in at 11 and it sounds like he had plans for the day which he delayed so he could do your tutoring session so he has still lost 2 hours and as I said before he probably spend a decent amount of time planning as well beforehand.

Grow up and pay up.
Your fault. He had to go there and sit around waiting for you, and in particular had to block that out (so he couldn't be earning money tutoring someone else).
The contract is formed because both of you agreed to meet.

He can take you to the small claims court since you can take people to the small claims for as little as one pound.

However, he does not have a terms of contract which may go against him.

Also if your phone was not working, then you could not sufficiently cancel.
Also, I do not see why you have to pay since you did not get the service. He is not going to sit there for two hours waiting for you, at a certain time he would have known you was not going to come.

He does not have a terms of contract, so nothing can happen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Analyst89
He can take you to the small claims court since you can take people to the small claims for as little as one pound.

It costs from £25 to make a claim, but he would reclaim any costs from the OP anyway if he had a succesful claim.
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

And if bailifs get involved in efforcing a judgement the costs to the OP will quickly mount up significantly.

OP should pay the £70.

Original post by Analyst89
Also, I do not see why you have to pay since you did not get the service. He is not going to sit there for two hours waiting for you, at a certain time he would have known you was not going to come.He does not have a terms of contract, so nothing can happen.

That's not how it works in real life. And anyway, he can't reschedule another tutee at short notice.

A verbal agreement (aka a contract) is valid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It costs from £25 to make a claim, but he would reclaim any costs from the OP anyway if he had a succesful claim.
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

And if bailifs get involved in efforcing a judgement the costs to the OP will quickly mount up significantly.

OP should pay the £70.

He isnt going to waste his money going through the hassle. He'd have to be extremely retentive to do so. I'd take my chances.

What i would do would all depend on the reaction and my existing relationship with them. If it went small claims quickly, then id be happy to let it ride.

The bailiffs suggestion is also rather far fetched.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending