The Student Room Group

Fr Speaking Help - Learning & Translation

Hello!
I have my first French GCSE speaking exam on Wednesday, and have only learnt 4/12 questions, so I have 2 things to ask. (Making yet another forum about this, eheh)

Does anybody have any advice on how to learn French 'quickly'? (Or any memorization techniques that I could use?)

Also I have a few questions regarding translation, as I've just realized I haven't justified some of my opinions. (I'll put them in a spoiler to take up less space)
If someone could help me translate some of these 'sentences' into French, I'd greatly appreciate it :smile:

Thank you very much :h:

Spoiler

Original post by KaiaLe

Spoiler

To memorize french "quickly" (though I don't think you can memorize a language in less than a week :/) you can watch films and series in french, so that you can hear how the characters pronounce the words and at the same time you'll learn some more vocabulary. You can also listen to french music. Maybe I can help you if you have particular words that you want to memorize ? (I'm french btw so don't worry ^^)

I translated your work but could you pease add the rest of the sentences, because everything depends on the context :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Marie-Antoinette
To memorize french "quickly" (though I don't think you can memorize a language in less than a week :/) you can watch films and series in french, so that you can hear how the characters pronounce the words and at the same time you'll learn some more vocabulary. You can also listen to french music. Maybe I can help you if you have particular words that you want to memorize ? (I'm french btw so don't worry ^^)

I translated your work but could you pease add the rest of the sentences, because everything depends on the context :smile:

Ah, sorry, I'm trying to learn 12 paragraphs of French, but thank you for the advice! I'll certainly do that in the future to help me out with my French in general :h: (Especially the pronunciation, that'll be extremely useful, I never even thought about watching films :biggrin: )

Also of course :smile: I'll write the first part of the sentence in French and English and give context for the paragraph it's written in^^ (The French for the first part of the sentence might be a bit wrong too, although it was corrected by my teacher so hopefully it's all right c: )

I'll put them in spoilers again just to make it clearer:

... because he is an exceptional actor

Spoiler

... as the art style is adorable & ... because they bring my favourite shows to life

Spoiler

... especially because of the scene with the sloth

Spoiler

I hope that's okay, and thank you very much! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KaiaLe
Ah, sorry, I'm trying to learn 12 paragraphs of French, but thank you for the advice! I'll certainly do that in the future to help me out with my French in general :h: (Especially the pronunciation, that'll be extremely useful, I never even thought about watching films :biggrin: )

Also of course :smile: I'll write the first part of the sentence in French and English and give context for the paragraph it's written in^^ (The French for the first part of the sentence might be a bit wrong too, although it was corrected by my teacher so hopefully it's all right c: )

I'll put them in spoilers again just to make it clearer:

... because he is an exceptional actor

Spoiler

... as the art style is adorable & ... because they bring my favourite shows to life

Spoiler

... especially because of the scene with the sloth

Spoiler

I hope that's okay, and thank you very much! :h:

*Personnellement, je pense que les films seront supers (but I think you're talking about one film? if so: je pense que le film sera super), comme il est un acteur exceptionnel
*Toutefois, j'aime vraiment regarder des animés japonais parce que le style d'art est magnifique, et des films en direct qui donnent vie à mes émissions préférées et d'autres films japonais, y compris "Battle Royale".
* J'ai vu quelques films publicitaires pour Zootopie, et je pense que ce sera très amusant, surtout la scène dans laquelle le paresseux est présenté

@Marie-Antoinette n'hésite pas à corriger mes fautes si j'en ai fait comme ça progresse toujours mon français :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I have 28 paragraphs and a bunch of vocab to learn for my A2 speaking exam on tuesday. I'll put each one into quizlet one at a time and learn them word for word, reading aloud as I go so I get used to speaking them too. Works pretty well, best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rileystringer1
*Personnellement, je pense que les films seront supers (but I think you're talking about one film? if so: je pense que le film sera super), comme il est un acteur exceptionnel
*Toutefois, j'aime vraiment regarder des animés japonais parce que le style d'art est magnifique, et des films en direct qui donnent vie à mes émissions préférées et d'autres films japonais, y compris "Battle Royale".
* J'ai vu quelques films publicitaires pour Zootopie, et je pense que ce sera très amusant, surtout la scène dans laquelle le paresseux est présenté

@Marie-Antoinette n'hésite pas à corriger mes fautes si j'en ai fait comme ça progresse toujours mon français :smile:

Ooh, thank you! :h: (Also I'm talking about multiple films but totally forgot to make the words plural, whoops)

Original post by Bananapeeler
I have 28 paragraphs and a bunch of vocab to learn for my A2 speaking exam on tuesday. I'll put each one into quizlet one at a time and learn them word for word, reading aloud as I go so I get used to speaking them too. Works pretty well, best of luck :smile:

I'll definitely be trying that out tomorrow, sounds like a really good idea. :h: Also thank you, and good luck for Tuesday! (28 paragraphs sounds daunting)

C'est presque excellent ^^ Juste quelques fautes d'interprétation :

*Personnellement, je pense que les films seront super (that particular word never takes an 's' in french -and I don't know why xD), comme c'est (because 'il est' works but not in this context) un acteur exceptionnel.

(For this sentence, I have a doubt for 'films en direct' but I don't understand what you mean when you say "live action movies", I didn't find an equivalent in french)

* J'ai vu quelques bandes annonces (like trailers) de Zootopie, et je pense que ce sera très amusant, surtout la scène dans laquelle le paresseux est présent

Voilà! ^^ Thank you riley, you have a very good french !
*Personnellement, je pense que les films seront super (that particular word never takes an 's' in french -and I don't know why xD)

La raison, je crois, c'est parce que "super" est franglais - on l'a acquis du vocabulaire anglais, et donc elle ne suit pas les règles de la langue française.
Reply 8

*Personnellement, je pense que les films seront super (that particular word never takes an 's' in french -and I don't know why xD), comme c'est (because 'il est' works but not in this context) un acteur exceptionnel.

(For this sentence, I have a doubt for 'films en direct' but I don't understand what you mean when you say "live action movies", I didn't find an equivalent in french)

* J'ai vu quelques bandes annonces (like trailers) de Zootopie, et je pense que ce sera très amusant, surtout la scène dans laquelle le paresseux est présent

I'm a little late posting this, oops, but thank you for your help :smile: (I really appreciate it :h: )
At this stage, I'd suggest that you repeat back the question to the examiner, to fill a bit of time.

Listen very carefully. In your responses, don't get stuck on giving truthful answers, just give answers that you are confident are grammatically correct.

En passant:

"I don't find" ne se dit jamais en anglais, plutôt "I can't find" parce que trouver qch c'est presque une abilité, alors soit on "peut" trouver qch, soit on "ne peut pas"

Aussi, @FrenchUnicorn ( :wink: ) me dit souvent "tu as un très bon français !" mais ça ne se traduit pas de la même façon en anglais. on dit "you are good at French". I don't know if there is a better way to say it but that's the only way that makes sense to me :smile:
En passant:

"I don't find" ne se dit jamais en anglais, plutôt "I can't find" parce que trouver qch c'est presque une abilité, alors soit on "peut" trouver qch, soit on "ne peut pas"

Aussi, @FrenchUnicorn ( :wink: ) me dit souvent "tu as un très bon français !" mais ça ne se traduit pas de la même façon en anglais. on dit "you are good at French". I don't know if there is a better way to say it but that's the only way that makes sense to me :smile:

Ok, donc c'était "I couldn't find" du coup !

I didn't know that, thank you (and sorry) ^^
Ok, donc c'était "I couldn't find" du coup !

I didn't know that, thank you (and sorry) ^^

Well, if you say "I couldn't find an equivalent in French" it suggests that you have searched i.e. online but couldn't find an equivalent. I'm guessing you mean?: I don't know of/(I don't think there is) an equivalent in French
Well, if you say "I couldn't find an equivalent in French" it suggests that you have searched i.e. online but couldn't find an equivalent. I'm guessing you mean?: I don't know of/(I don't think there is) an equivalent in French

ohh ok, I get the difference now. Thank you, I learned something :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending