The Student Room Group

is it too late to reach the grades I want?

I haven't done a lot of revision,wish I started months ago!! I've started today tho. I'm not naturally smart,no matter how much I revise I don't seem to get the grades. I struggle with science and maths the most,especially maths. I been trying questions and going revision classes, I seem to do well in lessons but when I get to the exam I forget everything and end up with an F:/. But my second mock was an E (first paper D),so I probably will have to retake it.
The grades i'm hoping for specific subjects:
History -B
English Lit-B
English lang-B
additional&core science-C
R.E-A or B
Maths - C(although its unlikely)
I got a place at sixth form to do history,English lit and psychology so I do need to meet the entry requirements. I love the subjects but when I need to revise a whole bunch of poems, quotes,topics from history I panic and dont know where to start. Many people now especially my friends says that i improved Maths but I dont see it my self?? Every time I do a past paper, I get an E???

For those who wondering what I got for my mock(i'll put the important ones)
Maths-F
Science-low D's
English lit-D
English lang-B
History-c
R.E-B
My first exam is this Tuesday(IGCSE)I'm aright with it, as I done plenty revision on the IGCSE but not literature at all:'( is it too late to get the grades I need??
You are going to have ro make the most of the time you have left. You can improve half a grade imo just by basic exam technique in the exam itself.
Read the question, focus, plan your answers and pace yourself dirong the exam.
You need to be doing past papers now to familiarise yourself with how they ask questions. Just practice answering the questions in half or a third of the time to see what you can recall. If its too scary then just do them open book for a while. You really need to be doing as much revision as you effectively can. That means working hard, but not opushing yourself into panic mode. Take breaks, eat and sleep well.

The maths you need to practice and get marked if your teacher will or at least compare your answers to the correct ones. the more you do the better you will get.
Its doable, but you need to focus your efforts. Leave any nerves till after all the exams.
I don't think you can make substantial progress judging by your mock grades honestly....
It's not too late, as long as you put as much effort into your revision as possible now and do it as efficiently as possible then there is a chance you could get those grades. You just need to believe in yourself! If you sit there and tell yourself you're only capapble of getting F's, then you won't have the motivation to aim higher. But if you tell yourself you're capable of getting B's and C's, then you're more likely to get them as you'll work harder.
Maybe you need to change your method of revision. Past papers are good for some people and help you to familiarise yourself with the style of questions. I know you said you always do badly on them, but do them anyway, without notes, and then you'll be able to highlight your weaknesses and improve them. You can find loads of past papers on the exam board websites with the mark schemes, so go over them and take your time, and make a note of anything you don't understand. Then go over those things in detail, and try to do another past paper. Hopefully the list of weaknesses will decrease!
If there are topics you're really struggling with and won't be able to get on your own, go and ask your teacher. They're there to help you, and want you to achieve your grades as much as you do. As long as you keep a positive attitude then your teacher will want to help you. Pay attention in lessons as much as possible now until your exams/ your last day of school (depending on if you have study leave or not) and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't get it.
Also, if there's topics you're really struggling with and you don't want to ask your teacher, maybe ask a friend? Do revision with a group of friends or just one and then you can help each other with things you don't understand.
Are there specific topics you struggle with in maths or is it just generally? Because if you're really stuck and don't want to ask your teachers or friends I could give you some advice or help if you needed.
For history, the best way to learn the dates I find is flash cards. Write the date on one side and the name of the event on the other, and a small description of what happened, and then either test yourself or get someone else to test you. With my flash card I've colour coded them based on topic, so I can keep them all together without getting them jumbled up.
For your English, I do a different exam board so I won't be that much of a help, but try to familiarise yourself with whatever text it is you're doing. Don't try to learn all the notes, you won't be able to and it'll just throw you off when you can't. Instead just try to remember the basic themes, and maybe one or two points you could make for whatever topics that might come up.
For science, it really depends on how you learn. I use both flash cards and past papers, but some people prefer to work in different ways, just make sure not to just rewrite your notes again and again, because although this does work for some people, for the large majority it is just a waste of time, so I'd avoid it unless you know for definite it works for you.
Hello!

I would say that it's not too late for you to improve your grades as long as you're dedicated and use the time you have left wisely! Focus on what you know you're struggling with rather than revising what you're comfortable with. So, for History, if you know that you're happy with the content and the reason you're losing marks is down to structure, practice some past exam questions and get your teacher to mark them for you.The same for English!

As for Science, content and specific knowledge is really important, but also knowing how to answer the big mark questions is really helpful. Gaining those 6 marks in the long answers could be the difference between your D and C grade.

Maths is all about practice, practice, practice. You need to be willing to teach yourself what you KNOW you don't understand and do example questions. Once you understand the method, you'll be able to answer any question on that topic.

You may not be able to get top marks on all papers with the time you have left, but if you're dedicated and put in the effort I think you'll be able to achieve the grades you want. Try not to panic in exams and take a deep breath and read each question carefully. Also, past papers are your best friend! Try doing as many as you can and do them in exam conditions so you can get used to it.

Good luck, and I hope you achieve what you want!
xx
Original post by bikiniikilll
I haven't done a lot of revision,wish I started months ago!! I've started today tho. I'm not naturally smart,no matter how much I revise I don't seem to get the grades. I struggle with science and maths the most,especially maths. I been trying questions and going revision classes, I seem to do well in lessons but when I get to the exam I forget everything and end up with an F:/. But my second mock was an E (first paper D),so I probably will have to retake it.
The grades i'm hoping for specific subjects:
History -B
English Lit-B
English lang-B
additional&core science-C
R.E-A or B
Maths - C(although its unlikely)
I got a place at sixth form to do history,English lit and psychology so I do need to meet the entry requirements. I love the subjects but when I need to revise a whole bunch of poems, quotes,topics from history I panic and dont know where to start. Many people now especially my friends says that i improved Maths but I dont see it my self?? Every time I do a past paper, I get an E???

For those who wondering what I got for my mock(i'll put the important ones)
Maths-F
Science-low D's
English lit-D
English lang-B
History-c
R.E-B
My first exam is this Tuesday(IGCSE)I'm aright with it, as I done plenty revision on the IGCSE but not literature at all:'( is it too late to get the grades I need??

Want to revise maths with me? I'm doing foundation and I'm guessing you are too?? That's the only subject I'm doing foundation at.
I can definitely help you with science. I'm doing higher. But I can still help:smile:
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
You just need to believe in yourself! If you sit there and tell yourself you're only capapble of getting F's, then you won't have the motivation to aim higher. But if you tell yourself you're capable of getting B's and C's, then you're more likely to get them as you'll work harder.

I've seen your this post this morning and done revision through out the day,I feel motivated and a lot calmer especially more positive.

Past papers are good for some people and help you to familiarise yourself with the style of questions. I know you said you always do badly on them, but do them anyway, without notes, and then you'll be able to highlight your weaknesses and improve them.

I thought going through the whole topics and making a poster out of them would be easier then do past papers, but I realized making posters will take ages,i'm quite slow for example it would take me 2 or 3 topics an hour:/ Is it better if i just jump onto the past papers and do it my self? Then I mark and make notes out of them?? (science too )

Also, if there's topics you're really struggling with and you don't want to ask your teacher, maybe ask a friend? Do revision with a group of friends or just one and then you can help each other with things you don't understand. Are there specific topics you struggle with in maths or is it just generally?

I hardly understand maths, but my bestfriend is really good at explaining few maths topics so I learn from her easier. I do have a maths tutor,even though I prefer my bestfriend and the mathswatch CD. However I seem to forget everything at the end of the day, like I would be able to do the maths all day,no matter how much i practice, I will forget.Especially trying to remember formulas, I think i have dyscalculia.

For history, the best way to learn the dates I find is flash cards. Write the date on one side and the name of the event on the other, and a small description of what happened, and then either test yourself or get someone else to test you. With my flash card I've colour coded them based on topic, so I can keep them all together without getting them jumbled up.

I tried this technique out and I find it wayyy easier then mindmaps. Thank you a lot!

For science, it really depends on how you learn. I use both flash cards and past papers, but some people prefer to work in different ways, just make sure not to just rewrite your notes again and again, because although this does work for some people, for the large majority it is just a waste of time, so I'd avoid it unless you know for definite it works for you.

I use few flash cards on few topics,and past papers too, I think I need to practice past papers more,I do have the knowledge but the exam board are quite specific with answers
Original post by *Alisha*
Want to revise maths with me? I'm doing foundation and I'm guessing you are too?? That's the only subject I'm doing foundation at.

Yes,I'm doing foundation maths! That would be great.
I can definitely help you with science. I'm doing higher. But I can still help:smile:

I'm doing higher for biology(even though I would prefer to stay in foundation). Chemistry and physics(foundation) even though i find chemistry the most easiest, i would of preferred to do higher chemistry.
Original post by graciousgannon
Hello!

I would say that it's not too late for you to improve your grades as long as you're dedicated and use the time you have left wisely! Focus on what you know you're struggling with rather than revising what you're comfortable with. So, for History, if you know that you're happy with the content and the reason you're losing marks is down to structure, practice some past exam questions and get your teacher to mark them for you.The same for English!

As for Science, content and specific knowledge is really important, but also knowing how to answer the big mark questions is really helpful. Gaining those 6 marks in the long answers could be the difference between your D and C grade.

Maths is all about practice, practice, practice. You need to be willing to teach yourself what you KNOW you don't understand and do example questions. Once you understand the method, you'll be able to answer any question on that topic.

You may not be able to get top marks on all papers with the time you have left, but if you're dedicated and put in the effort I think you'll be able to achieve the grades you want. Try not to panic in exams and take a deep breath and read each question carefully. Also, past papers are your best friend! Try doing as many as you can and do them in exam conditions so you can get used to it.

Good luck, and I hope you achieve what you want!
xx

Thanks,I think i need to practice more past papers,its the way i structure my answer is the problem. For science, I reached my target grade with the ISA's, if i got D's in my science, would ISA's help to push it up to a C?
I'm doing higher for biology(even though I would prefer to stay in foundation). Chemistry and physics(foundation) even though i find chemistry the most easiest, i would of preferred to do higher chemistry.

Are you doing triple science? because I'm doing it too.
Reply 12
Same here but I got A at math B english A chemistry and B biology C arabic :biggrin:
I think most people have answered this one, but for what it's worth, definitely not too late. The content of a GCSE module spec is not an unmanageable. Generally for people who have worked consistently over the course, very little 'revision' is needed (i'm not saying little knowledge/effort/etc. before I get shot lol) since they'll know the concepts already.

In your situation, going by your mock grades and confidence levels, the problem is your exam performance NOT the amount of time you have or haven't spent revising already. Trust me, get that hindsight I should have started months ago feeling of regret out of your head NOW. You'll get it at every stage in academia, and it will never be helpful beyond getting your to pull your **** together on that actual day itself. I know people in A levels who spend all day every day in the library and still cannot perform in exams beyond a C/D. Efficiency of your revision is key - not the amount of time.

Some practical advice:

You've been going to revision sessions for maths, this is helpful providing you used them to figure out where you're going wrong with answering Qs. In any case, this should relieve some of your guilt for not revising enough. IF you're struggling with a specific type of Q on papers, google it. In my day (2009 so basically prehistoric times now) we had bbc bitesize and mymaths. Look at the rationales. IF you still struggle with how they arrived at the answer in the mark scheme, PM me (I have uni exams atm so might not see straightaway - so defo google first). Exam Qs are very very repetitive and GCSE mark schemes actually give you the whole answers (never happens at uni).

I went from a C in some subjects (inc. chemistry) to an A* (well above 90% UMS) with maybe one or two days on the subject. You say you have the knowledge so this is doable. Just be very very concise and strict with yourself on how you revise. Don't waste time overcomplicating issues, GCSEs are much more quantity than quality. Go on the OCR/AQA whatever websites and print out the specification for your course - treat all the points on it like a checklist. For my physics exam I did this the night before the exam (took 3 hours) and got a 99.

Science/maths are short answer Qs so the main things to remember are the basics (esp if you're aiming for a B/C in these). Nail the basics and it makes no difference if you don't even answer the longer more complex Qs at the end of the paper that are designed to target A/A* candidates. Heck, you can even get an A if you answer everything else right. Be confident and self aware - do not make careless errors there's no room for that. Maths is straight forward in that you will know during the actual exam whether your answer is right or wrong (or probably wrong) - make use of this fact.

Finally, look at the specific words in mark schemes. It's possible, and common, to get a C/D in an exam with all the knowledge and revision, but not answering the Q in the required way. This is the most BS part of UK board exams but it's inevitable. Make note of things you come across in the past papers you mark yourself on where you find you said X but the MS says Y. X and Y might be very similar - but learn to use Y.

For humanities and essay style Qs, it's all technique.

Exam technique:

History/English lit - look at the sort of Qs that come up. The amount of marks allocated to each part and the amount of time you have to answer them. I remember for RE and History we had a similar format for the exams where we had to do 4 Qs in 2 hours. The 30 mins for parts a-c we would split something like 12-8-10 depending on how much analysis was needed in each part. Remember techniques like point-quote-explain (PQE or PEE). There are lots of these on Bitezsize for stuff like English Qs - look at them. From what you say, you struggle with structure and answering the Q not the concepts so try to come with a standard idea of how to answer a given type of Qs. Just familiarise yourself with all the content and it will stop looking so scary.

Which brings me to revision technique:

Revision technique:

I know people find flashcards helpful (I've used them in the past) but they're good when you have time to make them. IF you don't then don't bother with them. If you need a way to test yourself, I would suggest making checklist of things your need to cover (either from module specification or past papers or your notes) and a separate document explaining the answers. Keep everything short and bullet pointed so it's manageable and not scary looking. Type it up into a word document if it's quicker (you might not have this problem but I used to waste ridiculous amounts of time being a perfectionist with my revision materials and trying to make stuff neat/colour coded/whatever. That's not important - the content is an you need to be strict with yourself on time so you can cover everything rather than 3/10 topics done perfectly).

From the length of this post, you can tell I'm procrastinating from my own revision - I shall head back now. I hope this is helpful. If you have any Qs - feel free to PM me. I will try and give some guidance. I probably won't be able to answer specific Qs on content though - I did GCSEs years ago and probably different spec even then - unless it's maths or a general Q.

GCSE exams start towards mid-late May right? As far as time is concerned: you have enough time, and you also have a lot of things that are more worthy of your attention :wink:

Good luck, and I hope you make good use of the time you have so you can be proud of yourself on results day! :smile: It's never over before it's actually over.
Original post by Insomniac_1901
I think most people have answered this one, but for what it's worth, definitely not too late. The content of a GCSE module spec is not an unmanageable. Generally for people who have worked consistently over the course, very little 'revision' is needed (i'm not saying little knowledge/effort/etc. before I get shot lol) since they'll know the concepts already.

In your situation, going by your mock grades and confidence levels, the problem is your exam performance NOT the amount of time you have or haven't spent revising already. Trust me, get that hindsight I should have started months ago feeling of regret out of your head NOW. You'll get it at every stage in academia, and it will never be helpful beyond getting your to pull your **** together on that actual day itself. I know people in A levels who spend all day every day in the library and still cannot perform in exams beyond a C/D. Efficiency of your revision is key - not the amount of time.

Some practical advice:

You've been going to revision sessions for maths, this is helpful providing you used them to figure out where you're going wrong with answering Qs. In any case, this should relieve some of your guilt for not revising enough. IF you're struggling with a specific type of Q on papers, google it. In my day (2009 so basically prehistoric times now) we had bbc bitesize and mymaths. Look at the rationales. IF you still struggle with how they arrived at the answer in the mark scheme, PM me (I have uni exams atm so might not see straightaway - so defo google first). Exam Qs are very very repetitive and GCSE mark schemes actually give you the whole answers (never happens at uni).

I went from a C in some subjects (inc. chemistry) to an A* (well above 90% UMS) with maybe one or two days on the subject. You say you have the knowledge so this is doable. Just be very very concise and strict with yourself on how you revise. Don't waste time overcomplicating issues, GCSEs are much more quantity than quality. Go on the OCR/AQA whatever websites and print out the specification for your course - treat all the points on it like a checklist. For my physics exam I did this the night before the exam (took 3 hours) and got a 99.

Science/maths are short answer Qs so the main things to remember are the basics (esp if you're aiming for a B/C in these). Nail the basics and it makes no difference if you don't even answer the longer more complex Qs at the end of the paper that are designed to target A/A* candidates. Heck, you can even get an A if you answer everything else right. Be confident and self aware - do not make careless errors there's no room for that. Maths is straight forward in that you will know during the actual exam whether your answer is right or wrong (or probably wrong) - make use of this fact.

Finally, look at the specific words in mark schemes. It's possible, and common, to get a C/D in an exam with all the knowledge and revision, but not answering the Q in the required way. This is the most BS part of UK board exams but it's inevitable. Make note of things you come across in the past papers you mark yourself on where you find you said X but the MS says Y. X and Y might be very similar - but learn to use Y.

For humanities and essay style Qs, it's all technique.

Exam technique:

History/English lit - look at the sort of Qs that come up. The amount of marks allocated to each part and the amount of time you have to answer them. I remember for RE and History we had a similar format for the exams where we had to do 4 Qs in 2 hours. The 30 mins for parts a-c we would split something like 12-8-10 depending on how much analysis was needed in each part. Remember techniques like point-quote-explain (PQE or PEE). There are lots of these on Bitezsize for stuff like English Qs - look at them. From what you say, you struggle with structure and answering the Q not the concepts so try to come with a standard idea of how to answer a given type of Qs. Just familiarise yourself with all the content and it will stop looking so scary.

Which brings me to revision technique:

Revision technique:

I know people find flashcards helpful (I've used them in the past) but they're good when you have time to make them. IF you don't then don't bother with them. If you need a way to test yourself, I would suggest making checklist of things your need to cover (either from module specification or past papers or your notes) and a separate document explaining the answers. Keep everything short and bullet pointed so it's manageable and not scary looking. Type it up into a word document if it's quicker (you might not have this problem but I used to waste ridiculous amounts of time being a perfectionist with my revision materials and trying to make stuff neat/colour coded/whatever. That's not important - the content is an you need to be strict with yourself on time so you can cover everything rather than 3/10 topics done perfectly).

From the length of this post, you can tell I'm procrastinating from my own revision - I shall head back now. I hope this is helpful. If you have any Qs - feel free to PM me. I will try and give some guidance. I probably won't be able to answer specific Qs on content though - I did GCSEs years ago and probably different spec even then - unless it's maths or a general Q.

GCSE exams start towards mid-late May right? As far as time is concerned: you have enough time, and you also have a lot of things that are more worthy of your attention :wink:

Good luck, and I hope you make good use of the time you have so you can be proud of yourself on results day! :smile: It's never over before it's actually over.

Thanks so much for the tips, I just took notes from your tips. They seem really helpful:smile: Again thank you for the motivation, I hope you will do well in exams:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you doing triple science? because I'm doing it too.

No i'm doing Double science. What exam boards you are doing? I do aqa
No i'm doing Double science. What exam boards you are doing? I do aqa

OCR Gateway

Quick Reply

Latest