The Student Room Group

I genuinely see Tony Blair as a national hero.

I don't have any reasons, I just think he helped this country out a lot. I don't care if you disagree.

Scroll to see replies

Minus the Iraq war I think he was an excellent leader.
Reasons:

-> Got rid of homophobic laws by Thatcherism
-> Made academies
-> Made a minimum wage, which tories snatched into a living wage as a " tory made " thing
-> Made our NHS the best in the world
-> Made education more for the people
-> Did things that were unpopular for the good
-> Not a soft lefty leader
-> Modernized labour then when he went it went down hill
-> Avoided a recession in 2003
-> Made public sector wages more competitive

Should I continue?
Blair was a tory in disguise
However no doubt he was the most successful Labour leader ever
There was a huge erosion of civil liberties under his government.

Tory light, in my eyes.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I don't have any reasons.

:^)
Let's discount the fact that he should be tried for war crimes, shall we?
Probably one of the few leaders on the left who understood economics.
History is beginning to remember Blair as a competent time-server. It is difficult to pinpoint anything significant he did that would have been radically different had any other plausible candidate been sat in his chair.
and trumps best friend is a spanish muslim
Original post by ckfeister
Reasons:

-> Made academies
-> Made a minimum wage, which tories snatched into a living wage as a " tory made " thing

Should I continue?

Original post by Xelfrost

Reasons:

-> Made academies

Should I continue?

Also Bosnia.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Also Bosnia.

No one is perfect, go and look at David Cameron
No one is perfect, go and look at David Cameron

:lolwut:

How is stopping genocide a bad thing?
His first term was excellent. Even as a Tory, I might have voted for him in 2001. He was indeed Tory-lite and that was a good thing.

He made some mistakes. The handling of the Iraq war was poor, and the UK should not have opened its borders to the new EU states so readily in 2004, and should have instead waited a few years like other member states. He also realised, too late, the threat of Islam. Though his current insights are perceptive.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/06/tony-blair-islamic-extremists-ideology-supported-by-muslims

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1682338.ece

In spite of these failings, there is no way he should be the universally hated caricature he is.
Original post by Kyou
Let's discount the fact that he should be tried for war crimes, shall we?

This is a complete nonsense, which has somehow become conventional wisdom through being repeated over and over again.

What war crimes did Blair commit?
Rather typical of the left to over look hundreds of thousands of deaths to preserve their ideology...
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:lolwut:

How is stopping genocide a bad thing?

Oh I thought Tony Blair caused the war or something nevermind.
Original post by tengentoppa

This is a complete nonsense, which has somehow become conventional wisdom through being repeated over and over again.

What war crimes did Blair commit?

Indirectly caused the death of about half-million Iraqi citizens. I don't believe that the blame should only be put on him, no, it's him and Bush that should be tried together.

They claim the war was legal and were 'provoked' due to the threat Iraq posed to world peace, specifically due to Saddam and his WMDs. However, Saddam's capability of going nuclear was less than many countries, such as North Korea, at that time. He himself has admitted the war was a huge mistake, and has led to 'hell' in Iraq today.

Keep in mind that other people have been charged by the ICC for war crimes for much less.
Original post by Kyou
Indirectly caused the death of about half-million Iraqi citizens. I don't believe that the blame should only be put on him, no, it's him and Bush that should be tried together.

They claim the war was legal and were 'provoked' due to the threat Iraq posed to world peace, specifically due to Saddam and his WMDs. However, Saddam's capability of going nuclear was less than many countries, such as North Korea, at that time. He himself has admitted the war was a huge mistake, and has led to 'hell' in Iraq today.

Keep in mind that other people have been charged by the ICC for war crimes for much less.

A bad policy decision is not a war crime.

Killing civilians is not a war crime so long as they were not specifically targeted.

Massacres, genocide, torture, chemical weapon use. These are war crimes. To criticise Blair for the Iraq war is one thing, but to say he committed a war crime is simply not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending