The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

For question 3 in the guide it says spend 45 minutes on it ive never spent that long but then again thats why im always rushing to finish it at the end. How many times would u read passage B in that time
Original post by ellamoon_22
For question 3 in the guide it says spend 45 minutes on it ive never spent that long but then again thats why im always rushing to finish it at the end. How many times would u read passage B in that time

I suggest you start with question 3 first because you're struggling to finish it at the end. That way you can carefully pick points to bank in about 15-20 marks. Then start question 1 and end with 2.
Original post by habeebahx
For anyone struggling with question 2 one important point I'd say is read the question very carefully! When they ask you to look at a certain paragraph they give one or two points which you need to focus on and make your points relevant to what they ask. The exam has changed so that you only pick specific words and if you don't then you don't get marked for what you put. :frown:
Anyway, does anyone have any tips for how I can manage my word count as that's what I really struggle with? Also, what happens if you are over or under the word count?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam will tell you how many pages you should write. The only one it really matters for is the third one because it must remain a summary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello654321
I suggest you start with question 3 first because you're struggling to finish it at the end. That way you can carefully pick points to bank in about 15-20 marks. Then start question 1 and end with 2.

Yhh im going to try it out :smile:
For Q2, how am I supposed to explain the meaning without to understand the words?
Original post by coreHelp
For Q2, how am I supposed to explain the meaning without to understand the words?

Thats my problem as well. But I just choose words and phrases that I definitely know or can definitely guess what it means!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 306

It's difficult. But the secret to 10/10
in question 2 is to follow the formula. english language examiner DO NOT CARE about flair or creativity like english literature. so you need

overall paragraph effect
word
meaning (dictionary definition)
effect (in context, how it adds to the overall effect)
do this FOUR times

same again for the second paragraph.

make sure you are fully explained before moving onto the next word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
It's difficult. But the secret to 10/10
in question 2 is to follow the formula. english language examiner DO NOT CARE about flair or creativity like english literature. so you need

overall paragraph effect
word
meaning (dictionary definition)
effect (in context, how it adds to the overall effect)
do this FOUR times

same again for the second paragraph.

make sure you are fully explained before moving onto the next word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the thing is the probability of me knowing the dictionary meaning is looow.. &could you write an example paragraph for a pastpaper, please?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 308
the thing is the probability of me knowing the dictionary meaning is looow..

They often give you 8+ choices per paragraph. Choose the ones you know or make it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What order is everyone doing the questions in? My teacher told me to do 3,1,2 Any opinions ?
can someone give all the typical characteristics of the required writing formats?
Original post by exoexo13
What order is everyone doing the questions in? My teacher told me to do 3,1,2 Any opinions ?

same order
In Q1 do you get any extra marks for not following the order of the bullet points or do we get penalised if we do?
In Q1 do you get any extra marks for not following the order of the bullet points or do we get penalised if we do?

noop
noop

Do you have any tips for q1? And how much time we should spend for each one?
Will I be penalised if q 3 summary is more than half a page?
Are you allowed to write q3b in first person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
im going in on a b and i want an A, how realistic is this? language is not my thinggg
Will I be penalised if q 3 summary is more than half a page?

does it have to be half a page?? mine are always around 1 page and a half

I'm also following this order. My teacher said that question 3 is what can literally save you in the exam therefore it needs the most attention.

Quick Reply