The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainhuman
Dude, read my reply then the OP.

Sorry, man. I just wanted to be annoying. Bored.
Original post by Anonymous
Is anything a choice?
Is th fact that you like/dislike football a choice?
Is the fact that you like/dislike a certain food a choice?
Is the fact that you liked/disliked maths at school a choice?
Are any of these choices? Can you control them/ have more control over some choices than others?
I'll explain. Do we (humans) do things because we consciously have controlled our brains to want to do something, or is it the other way round, does something in our brain - in a way a pre determine our lives - do we have control over anything and just think that we do? I'm not sure about this but when people have brain injuries, they can turn into completely different people suggesting that it is the latter.
I've never heard of a brain injury induceing gayness but I wouldn't rule it out.
We may believe we are in control of our lives and personality, but really this could just be out brain doing it and we think we're in control when really we may not be. Who knows.

You can summarise this up as:

"Are we a slave to our synapses?"

Because I believe our synapses are a part of me, we are in control of ourselves. I merely adapt the definition of e.g. free will in this regard. As long as our synapses are not infringed upon / can express themselves, we have free will.

I think free will and fate co-exist for this reason, instead of being mutually exclusive.
Reply 142
why the **** would anyone choose to be gay
Original post by KaminiZindagi
cant believe this debate still going on ..lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know right
Original post by RachaelBee
THIS!!! :adore:

Plus there's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there! I personally am not even a little bit ashamed about liking women, but it definitely wasn't a conscious choice.

There's not such a thing as a "subconscious" choice.

Original post by TGS_Lila
mmm but there is a split in the LGBT community where one side think its a choice and the other dont. Also, is a transgender gay, thats in their community.

Im not trying to prove you wrong here but just know more of peoples opinions and if so change mine.

There really isn't (a split, that is.)

Yes there are those who believe it's a choice, but nowhere near to the extent to say there was a split in the community.
Original post by TGS_Lila
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

Thats true, nobody is born gay. They're sucked into it.
Of course it's a choice! You don't feel attracted to men when you pop out, now do you? Ot's a choice, science says so, and people just say no it isn't to not "offend" homosexuals.

Do we know you?
Original post by JamesN88
Why would anyone choose to be gay instead of straight?

I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean in terms of choosing to accept the hassle that can often come with it.

I can see why there would be an appeal. Women really do my head in so if all it took was a pill a day, I would go gay strait away.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
The typical arguments to this very plausable point debunked:
1) "Why would gays choose to be gay then, because it's easier to heterosexual"
Answer: A choice made at a young age is clearly not one that takes all factors into consideration. You were unable to see into the future, and see the potential hate you may receive for being homosexual. All you had, at the time you made the choice, was a bunch of people from each gender to look at, and a decision to make. Gay people could still change sexuality, since I'm sure most people would change sexuality if it stopped them "getting bullied and abused" all their lives. Comparing the looks of genders when young and then deciding and learning which you prefer is still a choice.
+ Never heard of an incident of any abuse towards a gay person, in a way that exceeds just a standard insult. I.e fat people are called fat, gay people are called gay. The minority characteristic will always be mentioned.
2) "Okay so when did you choose to be straight?"
Answer: In order for a gender to be preferred, there does not need to exist a single moment in time in which you decided that. Most opinions/ views grow over time, similarly to the hair style you have or the gender you fancy. That's the only explanation for people "suddenly" becoming bisexual, unless they're all lying too. For straight people, it's the same as for gay people, in the sense that they compare the attractiveness of genders over time, to eventually (or never) reach a conclusion, but always have a preference.
3) "But these studies show a correlation between *insert some genetic thing* and homosexuality"
Answer: A survey/ dna test of 250 people isn't proof of causation, it's hardly proof of correlation.
4) "I don't remember choosing to be gay consciously"
Answer: And I don't remember what I had for dinner on the 27th of May 2006, doesn't mean I didn't have dinner that evening.

Please feel free to give me more, I'm still waiting for one to be inarguable, as it would be lovely to learn and improve my views. However there seems to be nothing to improve to as it stands.

*Waits for 1 specific thing I said to be argued and the rest ignored*

Hey, your first point doesn't really apply to my experience (btw I'm a girl). As a child (around 7) I had a crush on a guy friend of mine until I was 11, I never looked at/ thought about looking at girls in that way.When I was 13 I found that I was attracted to girls and only girls. Obviously like most gay people when they first start having these feelings I was scared and confused, I prayed and prayed to be straight. Fast forward 4 years I am still gay but no longer ashamed and have accepted myself who who I am

I think this is due to the fact that growing up you learn very quickly that you're expected to be attracted to the opposite sex ( disney films, the media ect) and that when you start to become sexually mature you're sexual orientation finally shows I guess? Like everyone else I can only put my experience and opinons forward because I doubt we will ever have an actual answer to the the question.

What do you think?
Reply 149
Of course it's a choice! You don't feel attracted to men when you pop out, now do you? Ot's a choice, science says so, and people just say no it isn't to not "offend" homosexuals.

you don't feel attracted to women when you pop out either. You're just a baby. Science isn't saying anything, it provides evidence for both sides.
I understand what you're saying. Personally, I don't know anyone who is asexual; maybe that's why I haven't been exposed to the problems you encounter. However, I've seen homophobic remarks spouted around in everyday life.
Could this ignorance regarding asexuality stem from lack of international celebrities identifying as asexual, do you think? Or is it merely lack of education regarding what asexuality actually is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
There's not such a thing as a "subconscious" choice.

Of course there is; choices can be influenced without the person knowing it. It's called unconscious cognition, and there are plenty of scientific studies to back it up.
i agree that it is a choice.
Reason is being..why are people also bisexual?
i thought it was one or the other, how could it be both?

My argument is that you could ask people do you like pizza or pasta? Both! you cannot possibly like both. you have to only like one and dislike the other. Sounds silly in that context doesn't it?
Reply 155

Can you tell me when exactly did you choose to be straight? Which button did you press, because I must have pressed the wrong one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The backward views of some people on here gobsmack me.
Original post by Sacred Ground
I've genuinely never stumbled across the colloquialism 'ace' before in regards to asexuality, I was reading the thread responses completely lost as to what 'ace' meant other than being synonymous with 'cool.'

Edit - didn't mean to quote

I've only ever seen it on TSR tbh :lol:
Reply 158
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Every gay person I've ever met has told me they were born the way they are. Why do you think you know better?

I don't think people are born gay. I think that it is a bunch of environmental factors leading to the age of 11 (when puberty starts) and the unconscious side of your body decides to be gay or straight.

It still stands that being gay is not a choice because you aren't making the decision on a conscious level. It's out of your control.
I don't understand how a male could love the feeling of getting penetrated or having their lips on someone's cock and vice versa. Alternatively ,a vagina is a much better

Latest

Trending

Trending