The Student Room Group

Any tips for my English Language Exam on Tuesday

How to achieve higher marks on question 1,2 and 3?
Reply 1
This has example answers for questions 1,2 & 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7v_jTej_iI&list=PLJL1B0080xBE5b6pgq75qVlV1FiWBi9Ty&index=8

& this is a playlist with different things u need to know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx23GNO0JhE&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O

These videos helped me ALOT :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by s.mo
This has example answers for questions 1,2 & 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7v_jTej_iI&list=PLJL1B0080xBE5b6pgq75qVlV1FiWBi9Ty&index=8

& this is a playlist with different things u need to know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx23GNO0JhE&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cBnjI-6RVe2xKF43Rzj7f6O

These videos helped me ALOT :biggrin::biggrin:

Thank you!!
On question 1 remember to write an opening statement and a short conclusion this will take you to the top band for the most marks. Use the three bullet points for your paragraphs and make at least 3 points or more (preferably 5) in each paragraph. You also need to be aware of the style of writing and the points that you infer in the last bullet point must be relevant.
Question 2 is about the powerful word/phrases and the key thing to remember here is to choose phrases with imagery and connotations. Use PME - Point, Meaning, Effect as a base to write the answer. You can also write a general opening sentence to introduce the phrases you have picked out.
Question 3 in my opinion is the easiest purely because it is a locate and retrieve question. The summary to this question needs to be informative but also short and concise. Try not to make things up or use the bullet points you haven't written down prior to the summary. Every point needs to be relevant and should not be repeated. There is no need for a opening or conclusion but make sure it is written in your own words.
Hope That Helps!
Reply 4
Original post by xsana.khanx
On question 1 remember to write an opening statement and a short conclusion this will take you to the top band for the most marks. Use the three bullet points for your paragraphs and make at least 3 points or more (preferably 5) in each paragraph. You also need to be aware of the style of writing and the points that you infer in the last bullet point must be relevant.
Question 2 is about the powerful word/phrases and the key thing to remember here is to choose phrases with imagery and connotations. Use PME - Point, Meaning, Effect as a base to write the answer. You can also write a general opening sentence to introduce the phrases you have picked out.
Question 3 in my opinion is the easiest purely because it is a locate and retrieve question. The summary to this question needs to be informative but also short and concise. Try not to make things up or use the bullet points you haven't written down prior to the summary. Every point needs to be relevant and should not be repeated. There is no need for a opening or conclusion but make sure it is written in your own words.
Hope That Helps!

Hell there, for question 1 what might that opening statement and conclusion be?
Original post by Lucky10
Hell there, for question 1 what might that opening statement and conclusion be?

Sometimes the exam board may give you an opening phrase, use it. I REPEAT, USE IT. This is where you get your marks and it shows that you understand what you have to do in the question. The opening needs to be brief and its job is to introduce the piece so normally it should just state what you are writing about. So for example a letter would state 'i am writing about my concerns of ...........' something like that or if its another piece of writing (report or talk etc) it should be no more than two sentences about what going on overall.
As for the conclusion it should be what a conclusion does , tie everything together and end the piece of writing so this could mean re-writing the main, strong points together in maybe two sentences just so that the piece of writing flows effectively
Again, hope that helps! .
Start on question 3, then 1 and then 2. Because the exam is 2 hours you have 40 minutes on each question.

Make sure question 1, read the question to see if it tells you to write a text or an interview, if so think about if it should be formal or informal and 1st person and what not.make sure your points are in your own words (the 3 bullet points)
Start and conclusion
Each bullet point should have 5 points in the text (own words) then add detail onto it and (things you can't change eg facts, names, temperatures, places and purely anything you cannot change. Once you've done this add the development on, this is what one of the points could mean coming from you! Once you have done the 3 bullet points,on the last bullet do a conclusion. Also make sure you use your highlighter effectively.

Question 2: highlight what the question is asking you if the paragraphs.
Give one overview(what the paragraph gives you an impression of)
Then 4 quotes, define, explain and effect on the reader. Make sure the label 2a) and 2b) you do the same for 2b, also looking for powerful words/thrashes, make sure they have some sort of technique and write next to the quote if it's a metaphor or an oxymoron for example.

Question 3: highlight what the question asks you,and highlight the text and then write the points down, make sure you read the question because it may ask you to write the points in your own words (doubtful) and then 3b) make sure you paragraph, use connectives, and use your own words!

You have loads of time in the exam, read thorough the extracts carefully and don't rush. Also don't be afraid to use your highlighter for questions or whatever.

GM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest