The Student Room Group

English IGCSE Cambridge

yo does anyone have any ideas for what the upcoming question 1 could be on the paper? like magazine? report? dialogue? etc...
Reply 1
Sorry, it's almost impossible to guess, I doubt there is a pattern. Some of my teachers went to a conference the other day and found out that it is 32 marks for a C.
Reply 2
Original post by SamSp123
Sorry, it's almost impossible to guess, I doubt there is a pattern. Some of my teachers went to a conference the other day and found out that it is 32 marks for a C.

Is that true? That's got me nervous now...
Reply 3
Original post by LaliG
Is that true? That's got me nervous now...

32 marks for a C without coursework or your speaking and listening, for example, I got a high B on my coursework and an A on my speaking and listening so I need around 33 marks for an A. Nothing to worry about as long as your coursework is above a D.
Aren't the grade boundaries decided by norming every-ones results?
Original post by usingnamespace
Aren't the grade boundaries decided by norming every-ones results?

yeah thats what they do, so it changes every year
Reply 6
do you do 0500? I'm really struggling for question 2 and the third point in question 1. Any tips?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by ndk123
do you do 0500? I'm really struggling for question 2 and the third point in question 1. Any tips?
Thanks in advance :smile:

for question two, pick out certain words or phrases and suggest what kind of imagery they offer. you dont need to over analyse like you do in literature. for example 'raven-black coat'... raven and black have connotations of evil etc.

for question 1, the 3rd point, you need to use everything you have read in the text to pick out implicit meanings of what the bullet point is asking you and then sort of interpret them your own way.
I can't guess that easily! I suggest you to know which kind of language to use for tasks like letter, speech, report etc. I find speech/talk easily but I think article/report is one of the hardest.
Which question do you find the most hard? I personally find Q3 (Summary) hard.
Reply 9
Original post by SamSp123
32 marks for a C without coursework or your speaking and listening, for example, I got a high B on my coursework and an A on my speaking and listening so I need around 33 marks for an A. Nothing to worry about as long as your coursework is above a D.

Oh right. That's fine then, my coursework is good.

Quick Reply

Latest