The Student Room Group

Fitting in as somebody who doesn't sound smart.

Hi, I will be applying to a number of RG universities soon (Well, kinda soon- I am taking AS in three weeks), and I was wondering how well I would fit it as I'm not exactly somebody who sounds, acts, or dresses smart. Personal experience and advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
You'll be fine, very few people at uni do
University is a fresh start. Almost negligible judgement on frivolous things relative to that you may find in high school.
Most people at Uni are convinced that their Uni made a mistake when they were made an offer and can't believe they are bright enough to be there.

Don't worry about it! Go to some Open Days, and you'll realise that everyone else is as normal as you are - promise.
Reply 4
Original post by callumhowieson
I'm not exactly somebody who sounds, acts, or dresses smart.

I have a West Country accent and I got on OK. Goofing about is an accepted part of student life - I'm not sure what constitutes "acting smart", but the majority of undergrads certainly don't live in the library :smile: Plus what you wear is rarely an issue. Some students act like it's a fashion competition for the first few weeks, but they get bored with it in the end. Living in jeans is normal - nobody wears suits or formal clothes unless they have some kind of job-related exercise in subjects like Law, Business Studies etc.
Original post by Klix88
I have a West Country accent and I got on OK. Goofing about is an accepted part of student life - I'm not sure what constitutes "acting smart", but the majority of undergrads certainly don't live in the library :smile: Plus what you wear is rarely an issue. Some students act like it's a fashion competition for the first few weeks, but they get bored with it in the end. Living in jeans is normal - nobody wears suits or formal clothes unless they have some kind of job-related exercise in subjects like Law, Business Studies etc.

Well, unfortunately for me, I will probably be doing business studies :frown:
Some people who you wouldn't assume to be very bright by appearance alone are often very clever, unassuming people. Some people who appear bright and intelligent are often total numpties.

University life is a new experience for most people who start. :smile: When I was there, I never felt as though certain groups of people were more discriminated against than others. If anything I felt as though people mixed and got on far more because they had that shared experience, so try not to let it worry you. :smile:
for a very perceptive take on student types you should watch Fresh Meat...
Reply 8
Original post by callumhowieson
Well, unfortunately for me, I will probably be doing business studies :frown:

Well I guess you might be asked to dress smartly a couple of times a year then. Not much of an overhead really :smile:
Original post by Klix88
Well I guess you might be asked to dress smartly a couple of times a year then. Not much of an overhead really :smile:

Ahh, that's not too bad, thanks for the advice.
Original post by the bear
for a very perceptive take on student types you should watch Fresh Meat...

I'll watch it after my AS exams, thanks.
Thanks for the advice everybody!

Quick Reply

Latest