The Student Room Group

Ukcat - no more decision analysis?!

I've just been on the ukcat website and it says this..

'In 2016 UKCAT is piloting a new subtest of Decision Making which replaces Decision Analysis. The new Decision Making subtest tests your ability to apply logic to reach a decision or conclusion, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information.You are required to take this subtest as part of the UKCAT.

However your performance in this subtest will not contribute to your final score, will not be communicated to your chosen medical and dental schools and will not be taken into consideration by universities during their admission processes.'

So... Does this mean I can stop testing myself on the DA sections in my books?? I've never seen anyone mention it on here (unless I've not been reading properly..) so I just want to double check :smile:
I believe so! You must still take the section seriously though as your results will inform how it is used in the subsequent years. It definitely appears that you don't need to practice DA though...

If you want to be sure, contact UKCAT directly :smile:
Original post by Joanne86
I've just been on the ukcat website and it says this..

'In 2016 UKCAT is piloting a new subtest of Decision Making which replaces Decision Analysis. The new Decision Making subtest tests your ability to apply logic to reach a decision or conclusion, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information.You are required to take this subtest as part of the UKCAT.

However your performance in this subtest will not contribute to your final score, will not be communicated to your chosen medical and dental schools and will not be taken into consideration by universities during their admission processes.'

So... Does this mean I can stop testing myself on the DA sections in my books?? I've never seen anyone mention it on here (unless I've not been reading properly..) so I just want to double check :smile:

Hello,

Yup, you're right! Decision Making this year is going to replace Decision Analysis. The new Decision Making subtest is designed to "test your ability to apply logic to reach a decision or conclusion, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information".

As you rightly said, the Decision Making subtest scores you achieve will not contribute to your UKCAT score, and will not be shown to the universities that you have applied to.

Obviously, as someone has mentioned above, you still should try to take this section seriously as it's going to be used in the future.

You can find practice DM questions here on the UKCAT website if you want to see what they're like :smile: .

So, to answer your question: you don't need to practice Decision Analysis!

We hope the above helps,
The Medic Portal
Reply 3
do it properly, just incase you might have to sit the UKCAT again in the future, you'll know how you are on the section
For those reading this in 2017, watch out - it's now scored!
**** thought i got away with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending