The Student Room Group

Why isn't China more inventive/innovating these days?

Over a million engineering graduates each year, great educational achievements (basically win the IMO every year), great environment for growth and innovation but somehow they are reduced to just making stuff after western blueprints...IQ is obv not an issue since it's on par with Japan and SK, yet these two are some of the most innovating countries in the world. They have the brain power and the numbers so what the heck is going on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
funny-name-brand-imitation-3__605.jpg

Looks good to me.
Reply 2
Original post by Erebor
Over a million engineering graduates each year, great educational achievements (basically win the IMO every year), great environment for growth and innovation but somehow they are reduced to just making stuff after western blueprints...IQ is obv not an issue since it's on par with Japan and SK, yet these two are some of the most innovating countries in the world. They have the brain power and the numbers so what the heck is going on?

There's an interesting article written by Harvard Business School called Why China Can't Innovate
Too busy engaging in industrial espionage.
Original post by RivalPlayer
Too busy engaging in industrial espionage.

just like the rest of the world then?
Original post by chemistrybro
just like the rest of the world then?

The rest of the world doesn't have the cyber attack capability of China.

nsa, gchq?
nsa, gchq?

Not as good at hacking as the billion chinese.

It also takes resources. I would assume these two organizations use theirs slightly differently. If anything, probably more to defend against cyber spying rather than committing it.
Original post by Erebor

And yet how many famous Chinese mathematicians do you know?

Typical example of how Chinese rote-learn rather than learn to learn.
Original post by brainhuman
And yet how many famous Chinese mathematicians do you know?

Typical example of how Chinese rote-learn rather than learn to learn.

how many famous non-chinese mathematicians do you know?

you're just ignorant.
nsa, gchq?

Where have the NSA or GCHQ recently launched cyber attacks in order to steal technology?

Plently of examples where China has done that tho, particularly in the military sector.

They are a nation of copycats.

It also takes resources. I would assume these two organizations use theirs slightly differently. If anything, probably more to defend against cyber spying rather than committing it.

"The U.S. is “still the best” at cyber warfare, he said. “If we want to go on offense, a whole bunch of countries would have significant problems.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-09-16/obama-says-u-s-ready-to-act-against-china-over-hacking

edward snowden.

*cough*
Reply 14
Westerners always think they are the best, sometimes they are right, oftentimes they are not.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/10/baidu-could-beat-google-self-driving-car-bmw
Original post by Erebor

Why do all the expensive leg work innovating something when you can just let others do it and copy the finished product whilst selling for a fraction of the price
Where have the NSA or GCHQ recently launched cyber attacks in order to steal technology?

i never said they stole technology via the nsa/gchq. you're just illiterate. i said they have the capability of launching cyber attacks.

They are a nation of copycats.
they have no patent laws. the western world says that patents hinder innovation. which is it? is the ability to use someone elses invention good or bad?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Why do all the expensive leg work innovating something when you can just let others do it and copy the finished product whilst selling for a fraction of the price

why make something, patent it, then let no one else make something similar good? look at the us health industry. it's broken due to corrupt firms.
i never said they stole technology via the nsa/gchq. you're just illiterate. i said they have the capability of launching cyber attacks.

they have no patent laws. the western world says that patents hinder innovation. which is it? is the ability to use someone elses invention good or bad?

wrong

a simple google will reveal china has patent laws.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/04/04/chinas-great-leap-forward-in-patents/id=38625/

[video="youtube;uMoW1p46pi8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoW1p46pi8[/video]

watch 4:37
Original post by HucktheForde
wrong

a simple google will reveal china has patent laws.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/04/04/chinas-great-leap-forward-in-patents/id=38625/

[video="youtube;uMoW1p46pi8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoW1p46pi8[/video]

watch 4:37

i don't watch propaganda.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending