The Student Room Group

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni

Scroll to see replies

I got the standard 'and what are you going to do with that subject after you get your degree'
I always felt/feel that people don't consider subjects like classics and history to be worth while and I don't know why because it's not as if they're easy subjects and they both require pretty high grades to get into uni
Original post by jonathanemptage
I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives told me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?

Not 5 minutes ago my own da told me that my uni degree and career choice are wrong and that "no woman will want to marry you because you'll be living in a shack".

Great way of telling me that you respect my life choices.

He's always dropping subtle hints that he wants me to become summat like a lawyer mostly because of the money. I'd like money in a job but I'm not fixated on it.
"Why the f*** is a black guy doing Maths at uni? Stop trying to be white". The kind of responses I got from some of my friend's friend, and a few distant relatives.

I've found it more worse when no-one expected anything from me at my previous sixth form, and looked surprised whenever I got higher than a C during tests and such.
Original post by Klix88
This is familiar. Even back in the days of non-repayable grants, there was still a "Parental Contribution" which reduced the amount of the grant and which your parents were expected to stump up. Every time I phoned home, I got an inventory of all the things that hadn't been able to do or buy because I was off partying with posh people at uni.

The recurring theme was that "We can't afford a family holiday!" Which was a laugh because we'd had four family holidays in the previous twenty years, and my father had hated them so much that he swore he'd never do it again after the last one, which had been five years before I went to uni.

The really galling thing is that their contribution had been calculated at £900 a year by SF and my parents actually gave me £200 a year. Even back then, given the amount my parents earned between them, this really wasn't a huge overhead (Dad was a senior rank in his organisation and Mum essentially worked a good full-time job for pocket money because she didn't pay any bills). They decided that £300 a term was too much, so I should have £200 a term. The first term of each year, they gave me nothing and I funded myself with whatever I'd earned from jobs over the summer. They gave me £200 for the second term (very very grudgingly). The third term's money was whatever they got as a tax refund, by filling in a form where they claimed they were giving me £900 a year. I topped that up with whatever I earned from working through Easter holidays. I wouldn't have minded the budget approach and having to partly support myself - I think that was a useful thing to have done. But what really grates is that I was made to fill so damn guilty for costing them £200 a year. It still gets brought up during family arguments to this day!

That's ****ed. She would woefully tell the neighbours when we moved and they saw us packing, "ahhh, yea...we have to go." Then she'd add achingly, "With [my name] going off to university now...I just can't anymore."

I'm like...you could never afford it!!!? But I just kept quiet however 4 years later still she brings that up. Nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this lol
Original post by lilGem
translational oncology

?!?!

What's the Serbo-Croat for chemotherapy?
Original post by nulli tertius
?!?!

What's the Serbo-Croat for chemotherapy?

not quite what I meant by translational oncology :redface:

it's more how the research can be translated into a clinical environment :smile:
Reply 106
Me: "I will to go to the LSE"
Mum and others: "First get the grades, you need the be at the top of your class and it won't be easy, then see if it'll be LSE or something else"
Me: "No. I will be at the top of my class because I want to go to the LSE."
Mum and others: "Take exams one by one, see what happens, then make your decision so you won't risk disappointment."
Me: "No. I will take exams by storm with LSE in mind and I will make it."

I got in LSE and it's been the best thing I ever did in my life.

Believe in yourself and your goals as long as they're within the realm of broader possibility. Nobody else will do it for you.
Original post by Pucizza
Me: "I will to go to the LSE"
Mum and others: "First get the grades, you need the be at the top of your class and it won't be easy, then see if it'll be LSE or something else"
Me: "No. I will be at the top of my class because I want to go to the LSE."
Mum and others: "Take exams one by one, see what happens, then make your decision so you won't risk disappointment."
Me: "No. I will take exams by storm with LSE in mind and I will make it."

I got in LSE and it's been the best thing I ever did in my life.

Believe in yourself and your goals as long as they're within the realm of broader possibility. Nobody else will do it for you.

That dialogue reminds me of this:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bullseye, in a way. The difference is that I did love it at LSE, it wasn't a letdown. Banking... not so much, as you've read on the other thread :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one on the left reminds me of someone in particular...
Reply 110
Original post by kkboyk
"Why the f*** is a black guy doing Maths at uni? Stop trying to be white". The kind of responses I got from some of my friend's friend, and a few distant relatives.

I've found it more worse when no-one expected anything from me at my previous sixth form, and looked surprised whenever I got higher than a C during tests and such.

This is horrible, kkboyk. It should go without saying that your race shouldn't affect your academic choices in the slightest. It reminds me of the initial resistance that Neil DeGrasse Tyson faced when he wanted to be an astrophysicist. Obviously, he did great.

Do you find that the racism you faced spur you to work even harder to prove them wrong?
Original post by jneill
The one on the left reminds me of someone in particular...

Hints? Does it rhyme with sucrose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pucizza
This is horrible, kkboyk. It should go without saying that your race shouldn't affect your academic choices in the slightest. It reminds me of the initial resistance that Neil DeGrasse Tyson faced when he wanted to be an astrophysicist. Obviously, he did great.

Do you find that the racism you faced spur you to work even harder to prove them wrong?

Nope it didn't motivate me whatsoever, since I'm the type of person that ignores any provocations and insults.
Hints? Does it rhyme with sucrose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are clearly very studious with your poetry.
Original post by jneill
You are clearly very studious with your poetry.

Ahahahaha, he's a funny guy to be honest..
The only mean comments I got was when I was a) considering English instead of Law, and b) when I got an offer from UCL Law and was seriously considering turning it down for Southampton.

In the end, I firmed UCL and had Soton as my insurance because my school, parents and family etc pressured me into it. 'You can't turn down UCL' blah blah. Luckily or unluckily, I missed one of my grades by 1 UMS and ended up at Southampton. Means I got what I wanted without the nagging of having actually turned down UCL.

Still annoyed about the grade, though.
Reply 116
Original post by kkboyk
Nope it didn't motivate me whatsoever, since I'm the type of person that ignores any provocations and insults.

You may go far in life then. Avoiding provocations and insults has a strong correlation with intelligence and success. All the best
I got a lot of comments from the head of the maths department at my school. She refused to teach me for the first half of the year, until I set about moving schools and then the head intervened. Once I did get lessons, I got them once a week if she could be bothered (if one was cancelled it was somehow my fault), in total I had 4 "lessons" in the first year. Really it was just an hour for her to moan at me.

You'll never make it, you're too f*cking lazy
You're stupid and won't be able to cope
Where were you yesterday? At a best friend's funeral? Oh boo hoo, that is a pathetic excuse
Don't bother applying, you will only embarass yourself

Once I got my Cambridge offer she called me a box ticker and that they just had to fill their quotas

I stopped attending sixth form and ended up self teaching myself everything instead. I was lucky that I had the support of other staff, my family, and most importantly my partner.

(Sorry about any spelling mistakes, I am still getting used to my new phone keyboard)
Me: "I want to do medicine"

Careers adviser: "Why not go for something like nursing, more within your reach..."

Where I'm at: I got into medicine (unconditional offer), I finish med school in three weeks (eek!)...In your face careers "adviser"

What I say: prove everyone who's ever doubted you wrong. The feeling of success is even sweeter when you do!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 119
That I have no substance for studying but hey now I'm doing psychology in uni :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending