The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotNotBatman
Yep, I became anaemic due to the azathioprine and I was put on irons. I still have to have routine blood tests, although that is less regular now. At times I forget that I even have UC, but when its starts kicking up again it's awful. But I just have to live with it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Something always tends to happen when you least expect it. Are you in paediatrics? You can PM if you want.
Hiya, I've only just come across your blog today but it looks really interesting (especially on how a physical disease has affected your mental state). I haven't looked through the entire thread, so please direct me if you've answered this before, but does diet play a role (or can eliminating certain things from your diet improve it at all)?
Original post by fdstudies
Hiya, I've only just come across your blog today but it looks really interesting (especially on how a physical disease has affected your mental state). I haven't looked through the entire thread, so please direct me if you've answered this before, but does diet play a role (or can eliminating certain things from your diet improve it at all)?

Hiya! Thanks for your post and question. The condition is thought to be genetic (although I have no family history of it) and flares triggered by presumably stress. Diet doesn't play a role in the condition, although it is advised that if you have been diagnosed, to eat 5 smaller meals in a day instead of 3 large ones. Does this answer your question?
Original post by ravioliyears
Hiya! Thanks for your post and question. The condition is thought to be genetic (although I have no family history of it) and flares triggered by presumably stress. Diet doesn't play a role in the condition, although it is advised that if you have been diagnosed, to eat 5 smaller meals in a day instead of 3 large ones. Does this answer your question?

Yes it does, thank you :smile: I had just been wondering if it had any similarity to Celiac where what you eat has a direct effect on how you're feeling, so thanks for clearing it up.
Original post by fdstudies
Yes it does, thank you :smile: I had just been wondering if it had any similarity to Celiac where what you eat has a direct effect on how you're feeling, so thanks for clearing it up.

Your welcome :smile:
How my weight loss changed everything

I would first like to say thank you to everyone who has posted on this blog, and for those who have offered me support, listened to my whining and for just being there in general.

This blog post will be on on how the drastic weight loss I experienced changed everything. I used to love taking pictures with my friends and family because I loved how I looked. I had a glow on my face, I would always smile, loved my petiteness (and no doubt - still do) and wasn't so bone-y. All that really stopped when I was in Year 11, because as you all may have read before, my condition began flaring. It was all so sudden. My weight decreased a hell of a lot and I just hated the way I looked. I would look at myself in front of the mirror and think 'What happened? Why?' My weight loss changed everything. The glow on my face disappeared. The smile I had disappeared. I thought I looked horrible.

The pictures that I loved taking with my friends? They all stopped. Not only the pictures, I stopped talking to them as well. As they took selfies in one corner of the room, I'd be sitting in the other corner not saying a word, looking at the displays they had up since the beginning of the school year and was constantly thinking about what I did wrong to deserve something like that. It got to a point where my friends thought I was annoyed with them. I was embarassed to tell them what I was experiencing. How could I have explained something when even I didn't know what was going on? When one girl would ask 'ravioli, what's up?' another would say 'I think she's annoyed with us, she's not talking to us.' Until I acctually told them what it was - after hospital and so, is when they understood.

I used to love doing PE at school, enjoyed trampolining even though I wasn't good at it. Of course, that stopped too. I didn't want it to, but it did. I had lost so much weight that the trampoline wouldn't bounce when I jumped on it. It was embarassing. My final year of secondary school was just so embarassing. You would think that 15/16 year old girls were mature, but clearly not. What did they do? They laughed. 'Omg, ravioli why are you so skinny :lol:?' I didnt know what to reply to that, so of course I just laughed with them. Like I said before, what could I have said if I didn't know what was going on myself? Even the girl, whom I had known for four years and is with my at my new sixth form, laughed. And I don't blame her. How I looked like, how skinny I was - I really don't blame her. I was laughing myself. Another friend of mine, who was supposed to be with me this year, was the only that didn't laugh. She looked at me and said instantly 'I know you're really not laughing'. The girl who I didn't even talk to much said that to me. She seemed to understand me more than anyone.

My form room was on the second floor of the school building amd there was only on way of getting there, which is quite a long route (it was the furthest form room in the building from the school entrance). It would take me forever to walk up the stairs because I needed support. I had to take every step with ease because I couldn't walk up without the handle. I found my school bag heavy. I found the school textbooks heavy ffs. Everything I held I found heavy.

After my surgery and all, I was prescribed with steroids for ten weeks. These little suckers made me gain SO MUCH WEIGHT. Literally. When I had my surgery, I was 39kg, and after my ten week treatment of steroids, I was 55kg. I became super chubby :lol: Everyone noticed my weight gain, and that was something I feared most. I went to an all girls school with judgmental snobs. Well, those were the sort of girls in my class anyway. When I was skinny af, they would laugh at me and question me. When I gained a bit weight, they would laugh at me and question me. Like wtf? Really?

On bright side, I became more confident in myself. I enjoyed taking pictures, and I took so many pictures on the last two days of school with a big smile and my chubby cheeks. I didn't care. I was getting better, and thats what counted the most. Should I care about what others thought? NO. I was happy. I was happy. And, I'm going to be one hundred per cent honest, I'm actually happier now than I've ever been before.

So yeh.

Thanks for reading.

ravioliyears xx

Spoiler

Cue my tears. You're an absolute inspiration to everyone and we love you for it. Stay strong, stay positive.
Original post by SubZero~
Cue my tears. You're an absolute inspiration to everyone and we love you for it. Stay strong, stay positive.

Thanks Sub :heart: Hope you're well
Thanks Sub :heart: Hope you're well

Likewise. If anything's on your mind that you want to get rid of, rant to me.
Original post by SubZero~
Likewise. If anything's on your mind that you want to get rid of, rant to me.

:h: Defo will do :hugs:
The pictures that I loved taking with my friends? They all stopped. Not only the pictures, I stopped talking to them as well. As they took selfies in one corner of the room, I'd be sitting in the other corner not saying a word, looking at the displays they had up since the beginning of the school year and was constantly thinking about what I did wrong to deserve something like that. It got to a point where my friends thought I was annoyed with them. I was embarassed to tell them what I was experiencing. How could I have explained something when even I didn't know what was going on? When one girl would ask 'ravioli, what's up?' another would say 'I think she's annoyed with us, she's not talking to us.' Until I acctually told them what it was - after hospital and so, is when they understood.

Definitely relate to this bit - I struggle with emotions and stuff, so when I get to my lowest, which tbh has just been the entirety of college so far; I push people away, even though that's when I need them. I've definitely lost great friends because of it :hugs:
Original post by Andy98
Definitely relate to this bit - I struggle with emotions and stuff, so when I get to my lowest, which tbh has just been the entirety of college so far; I push people away, even though that's when I need them. I've definitely lost great friends because of it :hugs:

Sorry, I thought I replied to this! Apologies, Andy. Have you ever tried making up with those friends? I've also lost quite a few friends, and only have noticed how much I really miss talking to them.
OP, I have just read some of this thread, and I must say: you are a strong young lady. Really. Your posts are emotional, and well done for writing this. It's informative, and very eye-opening. I have a condition that I have to put up with my joints dislocating every day. While my condition is very different to yours, I totally understand where you're coming from with this:

I'm sick of holding in the tears whenever I'm in school because I want to try and keep a happy face

Most of the time, I keep a happy face, and people tell me I'm strong and all that, but there have been times, when I'm beyond my pain threshold and I'm exhausted to the point of feeling sick, that I've just had to walk out of labs and lectures to cry to myself in the toilets, or I've just dissolved into tears in front of lecturers a couple of times when they've asked if I'm okay after seeing that I'm being very quiet (I'm a very loud person!). I always feel so guilty when this happens, because although they say it doesn't, I can tell it upsets people. I'm lucky to have a very, very good best friend (who I also live with) though- she's an angel.

You have been so open and honest about your life with IBD, and again you are a remarkable young lady. You're inspirational. Thank you for posting the video a few pages back, too- it was very informative. I send you big hugs. All the best to you, Lovely, and good luck with everything, and if you need anyone to talk to, drop me a PM! xxxx
Sorry, I thought I replied to this! Apologies, Andy. Have you ever tried making up with those friends? I've also lost quite a few friends, and only have noticed how much I really miss talking to them.

It's OK

Nahh, haven't tried because I don't have contact with them anymore.
Original post by ChemicalBond
OP, I have just read some of this thread, and I must say: you are a strong young lady. Really. Your posts are emotional, and well done for writing this. It's informative, and very eye-opening. I have a condition that I have to put up with my joints dislocating every day. While my condition is very different to yours, I totally understand where you're coming from with this:

Most of the time, I keep a happy face, and people tell me I'm strong and all that, but there have been times, when I'm beyond my pain threshold and I'm exhausted to the point of feeling sick, that I've just had to walk out of labs and lectures to cry to myself in the toilets, or I've just dissolved into tears in front of lecturers a couple of times when they've asked if I'm okay after seeing that I'm being very quiet (I'm a very loud person!). I always feel so guilty when this happens, because although they say it doesn't, I can tell it upsets people. I'm lucky to have a very, very good best friend (who I also live with) though- she's an angel.

You have been so open and honest about your life with IBD, and again you are a remarkable young lady. You're inspirational. Thank you for posting the video a few pages back, too- it was very informative. I send you big hugs. All the best to you, Lovely, and good luck with everything, and if you need anyone to talk to, drop me a PM! xxxx

Thank you so much!! :hugs: Means a lot that you've replied to this and have read my posts. Sorry to hear about the condition you have, and I'm glad to hear that you have an amazing friend behind you all the time. Likewise, if you'd ever like to talk, Ravioli is here :biggrin: :lovehug:

Original post by Andy98
It's OK

Nahh, haven't tried because I don't have contact with them anymore.

Awwie :frown:
Awwie :frown:

It's OK, I'm used to it
World IBD Day 2016 and Random Acts Of Kindness

Hi all, apologies for not posting in so long but I'm afraid it will be like that a lot haha. My inspiration for todays blogpost is from @emobambam because he's such a sweet person that unfortunately has a lot of **** going on in his life, which he absolutely does not deserve. We were talking about something and he said something where he was quite sick and the people around him just walked away from him without helping. This frustrated me the most, because I personally hate it when people do that. If they were in our shoes, then of course they wouldn't like it if we just walked away when we could see if they were unwell.

Which gave me the idea of persuading others to help those around them with a Random Act of Kindness. I think a lot of you already do this, imo on the Student Room and I'm pretty sure you guys do this irl, but this is just something I think we all should participate in.

In addition to this, I wanted to talk about self esteem. We all have aspects which we dislike about ourselves, be it a minor thing or a major thing, and we get these impressions of ourselves because of the fact that we've been judged by people around us or because we just don't have enough positivity. I don't know about you, but I think we should change this. Turn all of these negative judgements we've been given and turn them into positives. I've said this to others, and I'll say it again. Be big headed because although some people my find it quite selfish, it helps you love yourself and appreciate how you look more.

To be completely honest, I've never liked the way I look, as I mentioned in a previous blog post. I hate the fact that I'm so skinny, that I'm so short, how IBD has changed me and just generally how I look - which is why I never know how to take compliments from people. I'm always thinking that they are giving me compliments out of pity because they know how much I don't appreciate myself. But, I've turned that around now - and I think its a huge step I've taken. From having absolutely no confidence in myself to having stages where I am to where I'm not. Yes, I know I'm not always confident but still, its a huge step that I've really come to appreciate. The only person I have to thank for that, is me. I've managed to turn my opinion on myself around - which can be so damn hard. I thank myself for persuading myself to appreciate how I look, but I also thank those around me for actually complimenting me and making me consider what they are saying.

Which links to the random act of kindness. This week or whenever you have time, go to someone you know that may have low self esteem and compliment them to make them feel better about themselves. You saying something that will make them smile out of no where is literally a random act of kindness. If you are satisfied that they have smiled after you've told them that, then you know that what you've said has affected them in a positive way. This doesn't have to be the only random act of kindness, it could be something silly like telling them a joke or something just genuinely kind like helping an elderly person off the bus if they need help. Even tell the people around you to help people around you so that the Random Act of Kindness can spread. Lol, I'm saying this as if I want it to be a major thing :lol:

Finally, World IBD Day 2016 is approaching soon, on the 19th of May. I don't participate much on such days, but it is quite important because it spreads awareness about IBD. It lets more people know of the condition. It makes people more aware of the symptoms so that they could get a diagnosis sooner. It simply just spreads more information about the disease. Most importantly, the money raised slightly increases the chance for clinical tests for a cure to be found.

Good luck to all of you for upcoming exams, I'm sure you'll all do fantabulously and enjoy the rest of your bank holiday weekend :biggrin:

Thanks for reading,
ravioli :h:
xxx

This is so sweet :hugs: thank you for writing such a nice and positive thing :yep: definitely very good advice
Original post by iEthan
This is so sweet :hugs: thank you for writing such a nice and positive thing :yep: definitely very good advice

Thanks Ethan :lovehug:
World IBD Day 2016 and Random Acts Of Kindness

This was a fantastic post! It was really inspirational, thank you for that :h: I'm glad you managed to get through that and have been a bit more confident about yourself :yep: This was such a lovely message and thumbs up for the whole thing! :tongue: :top:
Thanks, good luck with revision to you too and I hope you are also enjoying your bank holiday weekend :smile:

Latest