The Student Room Group

To anyone who's procrastinating right now...

Read this awesome article and follow these steps from the article:

1) Try to internalize the fact that everything you do is a choice. Start by thinking about the terms we’ve used in these posts, and if they resonated with you, write them down. Part of the reason I assigned terms to so many of these feelings or phenomena—the Instant Gratification Monkey, the Rational Decision-Maker, the Panic Monster, the Dark Playground, Ickiness, Bricks, the Critical Entrance, the Dark Woods, the Tipping Point, the Happy Playground, Flow, your Storyline—is that terms help you clarify the reality of the choices you’re making. It helps expose bad choices and highlights when it’s most critical to make good ones.

2) Create methods to help you defeat the monkey. Some possible methods:

Solicit external support by telling one or more friends or family members about a goal you’re trying to accomplish and asking them to hold you to it. If that’s hard for whatever reason, email it to me—I’m a stranger ([email protected])—and just typing out a goal and sending it to a real person can help make it more real. (Some experts argue that telling people in your life about a goal can be counterproductive, so this depends on your particular situation.)

Create a Panic Monster if there’s not already one in place—if you’re trying to finish an album, schedule a performance for a few months from now, book a space, and send out an invitation to a group of people.

If you really want to start a business, quitting your job makes the Panic Monster your new roommate.

If you’re trying to write a consistent blog, put “new post every Tuesday” at the top of the page…

Leave post-it notes for yourself, reminding you to make good choices.

Set an alarm to remind yourself to start a task, or to remind you of the stakes.

Minimize distractions by all means necessary. If TV’s a huge problem, sell your TV. If the internet’s a huge problem, get a second computer for work that has Wifi disabled, and turn your phone on Airplane Mode during work sessions.

Lock yourself into something—put down a non-refundable deposit for lessons or a membership.

And if the methods you set up aren’t working, change them. Set a reminder for a month from now that says, “Have things improved? If not, change my methods.”

3) Aim for slow, steady progress—Storylines are rewritten one page at a time.

Don't let the 'Instant Gratification Monster' control you.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

…just…one…more…thread
Original post by iEthan
…just…one…more…thread

Bad Ethan! :naughty:

Spoiler

"And that means logging off TSR as soon as you've read this article to do some revision!"

Impossible, I'm sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by TheOtherSide.

Spoiler

Thank you for sharing
Original post by M14B
Thank you for sharing

No problem! I'm glad I found this article myself. :biggrin:
Original post by hxfsxh
"And that means logging off TSR as soon as you've read this article to do some revision!"

Impossible, I'm sorry.

Come on, even an hour will help. :yep:

Spoiler

F studys homiez become rappers Big ballers ,Studying is too easy :biggrin:
:yep:

Spoiler

Hmmmm wonder what this could be?
Original post by fatima1998
:yep:

Okay, how about logging off for just an hour? :cry2:
It's not procrastination if I don't plan to do revision at any point in the future.
Original post by thefatone
Hmmmm wonder what this could be?

It's the monkey:

Spoiler

Original post by Arkasia
It's not procrastination if I don't plan to do revision at any point in the future.

Who knows, maybe you're procrastinating planning to do revision? :dontknow:
Okay, how about logging off for just an hour? :cry2:

dont make that cry face :cry: that makes me sad... but i have actually dont a lot of work today :yep: just ate dinner and came back to do work :jive: just in 5 min, i am going to log off :dance:
now happy :hat2:
dont make that cry face :cry: that makes me sad... but i have actually dont a lot of work today :yep: just ate dinner and came back to do work :jive: just in 5 min, i am going to log off :dance:
now happy :hat2:

Yesss :woo:

Spoiler

It's the monkey:

Spoiler

100% me everytime, i'm fully aware i'm wasting time but i can't stop xD
Original post by thefatone
100% me everytime, i'm fully aware i'm wasting time but i can't stop xD

It's the exact same for me. :cry: The blog post thingy before that one struck too close to my heart... :getmecoat:
Yesss :woo:

Spoiler

:five:

Spoiler

:five:

Spoiler

:hugs:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest