The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I have an offer from Barts but also from Liverpool! Second time around applying to do medicine, but I'm just not sure if I would fit in at Barts.
If I went to Dawson Halls then I would be having to spend a lot on travel to the whitechapple campus each day?
Also, how do you feel the social life is like at Barts? Is everyone so focused on work that 'going out' doesnt really happen that often?
The course structure seems great but unsure about London as I am from the countryside.
Any thoughts on the formal balls and things that happen? I understand theres a freshers ball....I was planning on freshers being just pubs and clubs tbh haha not dressing up in formal wear!

Thanks in advance for replying if you do!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Medstudent999
Hello!
I have an offer from Barts but also from Liverpool! Second time around applying to do medicine, but I'm just not sure if I would fit in at Barts.
If I went to Dawson Halls then I would be having to spend a lot on travel to the whitechapple campus each day?
Also, how do you feel the social life is like at Barts? Is everyone so focused on work that 'going out' doesnt really happen that often?
The course structure seems great but unsure about London as I am from the countryside.
Any thoughts on the formal balls and things that happen? I understand theres a freshers ball....I was planning on freshers being just pubs and clubs tbh haha not dressing up in formal wear!

What makes you think you wouldn't fit in at BL?

Travel card is approx £85 per month for student oyster. Otherwise takes approx 40 minutes to walk from Barbican to WC or significantly shorter if you cycle.

To be honest with you, asking what the social life of 3500 students in BL or 20k in QM is like is a pretty stupid question. You'll be living in London, you make of it what you want.

In terms of black tie events, there's a handful dotted throughout the year. For freshers, the only black tie event is the boat ball, a ball on a boat on the thames as one of the final nights. Most nights there's something on in the union + a night out to one of the bigger clubs in London, pretty standard affair really.
Am just going off of what some students have said - one said they had so much work that she literally never went out on nights out, just a query.

Is the 30% off travel the best students can get from Oyster cards?

As for socials I meant the student union and how much it is used to be honest.

Thank you!
Am just going off of what some students have said - one said they had so much work that she literally never went out on nights out, just a query.

Thank you!

Some students are not all students. I've done essentially no work in the past six years but I cannot tell you that will be your experience, I have no idea how you'll cope with the workload and how well you can manage your time.

Yeah, I think that's the best discount. Unfortunately, the travel network in London is quite expensive but on the whole, it's reasonably reliable.

There is an event called 'Tables' most Wednesday's at the union (the times it won't be on will be because the clubs are having a curry down Brick Lane or some other social event) which is always fairly busy - but it's not a 1000 capacity club or anything. Think of a large-ish cocktail bar but with a student atmosphere. The event itself is 2 hours of drinking games in your sports clubs (anywhere from 10 to 40 people depending on the club) from 7.30-10ish then standard union music til approx 1am.

There are some Friday event nights, but from my experience they're never particularly big affairs, and there are some comedy nights/pizza nights/pub quizs throughout the year. Then there are events like plays. pantomines, musicals, comedy shows that are mostly put on by the student body (drama/sketch society etc) which are all good fun (lots of drinking, heckling & jokes etc) put on at Laird Hall, just around the corner from the union.

My own experience has been of weekly tables with Water Polo (albeit less in my final year), gone to most of the pantos/plays/musicals/take me out/strictly come dancing etc but the weekend events I hardly go to. I've tried to make the most of London and am quite big into electronic dance music so am usually in Fabric, Shoreditch or Dalston on the weekends.
Everyone is different I know but for the first student I meet there to tell me they never go out was a bit of a shock.

That sounds pretty good to me, thanks for the details.
Just got to chose my preferred accommodation now
Hi! Wich Hall do you recommend to a future postgraduate student at Barts?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by ChescaK
Thank you so much!! :smile:
As the accommodation is self-catering, there must be places in the campus or near campus where we can buy our meals, right?
Are they considered less expensive? How much do those meals cost approximately?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :P

Hi again!

The best place on campus to buy hot meals is the Curve restaurant. They have loads of deals if you're going to buy food there regularly so check out their website: http://www.curve.qmul.ac.uk

But of course all accommodation has shared kitchens. A great way to save money is to have flat meals where one person in the flat cooks for everyone once a week or so.

I hope this helps.
Barts love,
Will
Hello!

Hi! Thanks for all your questions!

First of all, there is no reason to think you won't fit in at Barts. There is such a range of people here that you are always going to find people that share your interests!

When I stayed at Dawson Hall last year, I didn't have a problem with travel to Whitechapel each day. I often walked or cycled but you can get the tube - it only takes half an hour or so.

There is a considerable social scene at Barts! There are people who are focused on work and people who mix it up with going out. I did my fair share of going out last year and didn't struggle with the workload! This of course depends on personal preference but if you're keen on experiencing the London night life, there will be ample opportunity to do so.

I too am from the countryside! I chose London because I wanted a change of scenery. Whilst this isn't the case for everyone, London is a great place to study medicine. It takes a bit of adjusting moving to a city but I certainly don't regret it!

There are occasionally more formal social events at Barts and there is a boat party during freshers. However, my experience of Freshers week certainly wasn't formal. There are loads of clubs and pubs that you will visit!

I hope this answers your questions!
Barts love,
Will

Thank you!

Hi,

Again, it depends on your personal preference. All medical degrees are challenging and everyone struggles occasionally. However, there is always time to get involved in the social scene.

That's the best deal on travel cards that I am aware of.

Our student union - the Griff Inn, is a very active Union. There are events at least once a week. Why don't you check our their website?

https://www.qmsu.org/griffinn/

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Analpzalonso
Hi! Wich Hall do you recommend to a future postgraduate student at Barts?
Thanks in advance!

Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

Both accommodations are great and I can't imagine postgraduate medicine will mean you should have preference for either. However, I believe more postgraduates tend to choose Dawson Hall.

Barts Love,
Will
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! Thanks for all your questions!

First of all, there is no reason to think you won't fit in at Barts. There is such a range of people here that you are always going to find people that share your interests!

When I stayed at Dawson Hall last year, I didn't have a problem with travel to Whitechapel each day. I often walked or cycled but you can get the tube - it only takes half an hour or so.

There is a considerable social scene at Barts! There are people who are focused on work and people who mix it up with going out. I did my fair share of going out last year and didn't struggle with the workload! This of course depends on personal preference but if you're keen on experiencing the London night life, there will be ample opportunity to do so.

I too am from the countryside! I chose London because I wanted a change of scenery. Whilst this isn't the case for everyone, London is a great place to study medicine. It takes a bit of adjusting moving to a city but I certainly don't regret it!

There are occasionally more formal social events at Barts and there is a boat party during freshers. However, my experience of Freshers week certainly wasn't formal. There are loads of clubs and pubs that you will visit!

I hope this answers your questions!
Barts love,
Will

Thank you so much!
What you've said has really put things in to perspective for me and I've now firmed Barts!

Moving to London will be a big step for me as I'm used to living amongst fields and farms! London will be a great change though.

Thanks again for your great reply (:
Hi
What A levels have you studied? Is there a lot of maths involved? Are my a level choices fine: chemistry, biology, english literature and spanish?
Original post by geniequeen48
Hi
What A levels have you studied? Is there a lot of maths involved? Are my a level choices fine: chemistry, biology, english literature and spanish?

Hi there, thanks for your question!

I studied Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Physical Education and Pre-Clinical studies. Five A-levels are more than is required since the entry requirements are AAA. Since you'll be studying two science subjects, those choices will be sufficient for an application to Medicine at Barts.

Check out the MBBS website for any more info and get in touch if you have any further questions:
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will
Thank you so much!
What you've said has really put things in to perspective for me and I've now firmed Barts!

Moving to London will be a big step for me as I'm used to living amongst fields and farms! London will be a great change though.

Thanks again for your great reply (:

Glad to hear it! Good luck with your exams.

Barts Love,
Will
Thanks for your answer!
Do you know if postgraduate students are allocated in the same floor or area? I am a little worried about being the oldest there.

Thank you again :smile:
Thanks for your answer!
Do you know if postgraduate students are allocated in the same floor or area? I am a little worried about being the oldest there.

Hi again,

Very good question! I don't believe that is the case - I knew of flats with undergraduates and postgraduates. I will ask someone to make sure and get back to you. However, remember that undergraduate medicine attracts lots of postgraduates so there are generally a lot of older students in halls anyway.

Barts love,
Will
Thanks for your answer!

Hi again,

I've heard back from housing services - they have informed me that there are a few factors that determine whether postgraduates are in the same flat in halls. It sounds confusing so I recommend you give them a call: 0207 882 6474

Barts Love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RollerBall
What makes you think you wouldn't fit in at BL?

Travel card is approx £85 per month for student oyster. Otherwise takes approx 40 minutes to walk from Barbican to WC or significantly shorter if you cycle.

To be honest with you, asking what the social life of 3500 students in BL or 20k in QM is like is a pretty stupid question. You'll be living in London, you make of it what you want.

In terms of black tie events, there's a handful dotted throughout the year. For freshers, the only black tie event is the boat ball, a ball on a boat on the thames as one of the final nights. Most nights there's something on in the union + a night out to one of the bigger clubs in London, pretty standard affair really.

Can you give me some advice on which hall to choose? Debating between Dawson and Floyer. I have read Dawson is a lot nicer. How long does it take to get to Whitechapel if you take the tube? I will buy a bike but I hear it rains a lot over there... coming from the States
Thanks for your answer!

I'm worried about this too! Do you know if you're choosing Floyer or Dawson?
I'm so conflicted!!!!
Original post by cool213s
I'm worried about this too! Do you know if you're choosing Floyer or Dawson?
I'm so conflicted!!!!

I'll choose Dawson probably, I have read that there are more postgrad students over there.

I'll be 22 years old by then so I'm conflicted too.

Latest

Trending

Trending