The Student Room Group

Bad first impression

I met a guy though a mutual friend on a night out. We were having a laugh which I made a joke about his friend looking like a celebrity. Next thing this guy seemed really distant with me. A few weeks later the mutual friend asked the guy what he thought about me and he said he didn't like me comment about his friend looking like the celebrity. The joke went down like a lead balloon and I feel awful as I am not a nasty person and now this guy thinks I'm a bad person. My friend said it is a shame as we would have got on well. What should I do?
Reply 1
Why is this a bad thing to do?
Hey, I seriously cannot understand why this guy would be upset about a comment. It isn't your fault at all so don't feel bad. If that guy can't take a joke, don't beat yourself up about it, you're better then that. Also, he isn't worth it. I seriously snorted over him getting upset about calling a friend a celebrity! Don't worry, you aren't in the wrong :smile: -Tanisha.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I met a guy though a mutual friend on a night out. We were having a laugh which I made a joke about his friend looking like a celebrity. Next thing this guy seemed really distant with me. A few weeks later the mutual friend asked the guy what he thought about me and he said he didn't like me comment about his friend looking like the celebrity. The joke went down like a lead balloon and I feel awful as I am not a nasty person and now this guy thinks I'm a bad person. My friend said it is a shame as we would have got on well. What should I do?

He probably thought you liked his friend and not him. Although I don't see what was wrong with saying that, what celebrity did his friend look like? Unless he felt you offended his friend?
Depends on the celebrity! If it was someone famous because they are gorgeous maybe they felt a bit jealous or threatened because they are quite insecure. If you mentioned a celebrity generally thought to be weird or ugly than they might think you're unkind or rude.

Some people try be funny by teasing which only really works around super confident, boisterous people, other people just see it as bullying. Try explain yourself and maybe it can be salvaged.
Reply 5
I said the guy looked like Jim Bowen from Bullseye. It's ridiculous as he doesn't look like him and only had similar glasses which he may see as bullying. The guy I was talking about I think is a lovely person so there was no malice. It makes me question that this guy who I made the comment to may get offended by the slightest thing so would I have to tread on eggshells all the time.
Reply 6
It probably tells you all you need to know about the guy, if he overreacts over something trivial

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending