The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

I am also doing this exam this year and would be happy to help anyone if they need it.
Reply 41
Hi,

I was wondering how people were doing practice questions for these papers? I can only find the specimen for this year because it's a new specification....
Original post by mollyayo
Hi,

I was wondering how people were doing practice questions for these papers? I can only find the specimen for this year because it's a new specification....

I'd do all the old spec papers for practice too.
Reply 43
Original post by Vanilla Poison
I'd do all the old spec papers for practice too.

Oh okay! Are they similar?
Original post by mollyayo
Oh okay! Are they similar?

The content is pretty much the same (except green chemistry which is no longer studied), but the style of questions has changed slightly. They're still good for revision though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Don't forget that they've also added some new stuff like the priority group rule about isomerism and bond formation to name a few

Posted from TSR Mobile
What new topics will we be tested on with these papers?
I know that green chemistry or esterification wont be coming up...
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
The content is pretty much the same (except green chemistry which is no longer studied), but the style of questions has changed slightly. They're still good for revision though. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is green chemistry? Do you mean polymers/ozone/global warming? I thought that's still in our spec...

Original post by Firenze26
Don't forget that they've also added some new stuff like the priority group rule about isomerism and bond formation to name a few
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the priority group rule the cahn-ingold-prelog priority rules? Was that not in the previous specification? What is the new bond formation topic? Do you have a list of all of the new topics added? I've basically been only revising off past papers, and this is a complete surprise that new topics have been added as my teachers have not mentioned this at all... :angry:
Reply 48
Is anyone resisting F321/F322? If so will the exam be based on the "old" syllabus or the "new" one?
Reply 49
Original post by Arima
Is anyone resisting F321/F322? If so will the exam be based on the "old" syllabus or the "new" one?

Obviously the syllabus you have been studying. Seriously, is this a joke?
Reply 50
Original post by Yesitisi
What is green chemistry? Do you mean polymers/ozone/global warming? I thought that's still in our spec...

Is the priority group rule the cahn-ingold-prelog priority rules? Was that not in the previous specification? What is the new bond formation topic? Do you have a list of all of the new topics added? I've basically been only revising off past papers, and this is a complete surprise that new topics have been added as my teachers have not mentioned this at all... :angry:

The content hasn't changed that much but the style of questions has changed a lot, especially when you try to do the specimen ones. You need to think a bit more rather than just regurgitate answers.

The Cahn-ingold prelog stuff is still there, but you have also got Markownifoff rule in which applies when you add a hydrogen halide to an unsymmetrical alkene, basically the hydrogen will had to the carbon with the most hydrogen's already attached.

If I were you, get the CGP revision guide seeing as you already know the major chunk of the content.
Original post by SGHD26716
The content hasn't changed that much but the style of questions has changed a lot, especially when you try to do the specimen ones. You need to think a bit more rather than just regurgitate answers.

The Cahn-ingold prelog stuff is still there, but you have also got Markownifoff rule in which applies when you add a hydrogen halide to an unsymmetrical alkene, basically the hydrogen will had to the carbon with the most hydrogen's already attached.

If I were you, get the CGP revision guide seeing as you already know the major chunk of the content.

Thanks for the reply. The style of the questions are not a problem for me, and in the mock, I scored highly on multiple choice. My school issued the cgp chemistry textbook as our "official" textbook, and I've heard the cgp revision guide is the watered down version of the textbook, so I don't think there's any point getting it now especially since the exam is very close.

Do you know of any more changes to the new specification?
Reply 52
Original post by Yesitisi
Thanks for the reply. The style of the questions are not a problem for me, and in the mock, I scored highly on multiple choice. My school issued the cgp chemistry textbook as our "official" textbook, and I've heard the cgp revision guide is the watered down version of the textbook, so I don't think there's any point getting it now especially since the exam is very close.

Do you know of any more changes to the new specification?

If you've done well in the mocks you should be fine. Here is a brief summary of every topic. I wouldn't recommend for revising but is good for the basics.

Use it to see if you've missed any topics.
https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/
Reply 53
Obviously the syllabus you have been studying. Seriously, is this a joke?

ok????? no need to be so salty about it??

edit: a simple yes or no would've sufficed.
Reply 54
Original post by Arima
ok????? no need to be so salty about it??

edit: a simple yes or no would've sufficed.

OK but you would think you know what exam you're doing in 20 days
Reply 55
OK but you would think you know what exam you're doing in 20 days

not gonna lie i'm barely prepared LOL..
Anyone got the recently released specimen papers? I have done all others and really want to have a go at these. My teacher is completely useless and apparently can't access them.
Original post by Clintbarton
Anyone got the recently released specimen papers? I have done all others and really want to have a go at these. My teacher is completely useless and apparently can't access them.

Will post them here tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
Will post them here tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Will do it over the weekend. :smile:
How is everyone finding the specimen papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending