The Student Room Group

why are there people who believe vaccines are bad?

Why ???????? :facepalm:

Scroll to see replies

i think it was because of this dude who said that vaccines led to autism and basically faked all his evidence/proof that proved vaccines supposedly lead to autism

edit:

taken from this article
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/why-arent-parents-vaccinating-their-children/

"In large part, parents are opting out of the vaccine requirements via medical, religious or personal belief exemptions, which vary by state [usa]. Reasons behind the personal belief exemptions include fears about vaccine side effects (many worry about connections between vaccines and autism though a recent National Academy of Sciences report found no link between the two) to wanting to be able to decide exactly which vaccines are given to their child."
(edited 7 years ago)
People often perceive the risks of vaccination to be much greater than the reality, but I guess that's not their fault seeing as the media is always bring up controversial topics such as if the MMR vaccine causes autism. In LEDC countries like Africa, people might be suspicious about vaccines and modern medicine in general - sometimes it's liked to fear of a 'western plot'. Again, not their fault its just misinformation. :frown:
they have mercury in them and are tainted

raising vitamin D may work better in some children, never get the vaccination
Reply 4
Original post by HucktheForde

Because of a few bad examples.
Reply 5
You can't trust what the government provides.. You never know what's exactly inside the vaccines

Ok I will shut up :indiff:

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Lack of education?
Because they see big scary chemistry words they don't understand, do very little research and conclude they are dangerous because they have absolute zero idea or knowledge in the subject.

And then you have idiots like Jenny McCarthy who have 0 training or knowledge in the medical field using their status and loud voice to fear monger other people for a variety or reason. Such as for financial gain or because they are idiots who don't understand vaccines either and so genuine believe they are dangerous.
Isnt this mostly in USA cos they have a load of conspiratard morons who think the government try and make them ill for whatever reason (Big pharma, control their minds) and so on

There is quite an interesting 'paradox' associated with vaccination. Suppose that I am a parent who is deciding whether to vaccinate my child against measles. Suppose also that I know that in my area, lots of people vaccinate their children against measles.

If I vaccinate my child, then he won't get measles. But he might possibly suffer side-effects or unforeseen complications from the vaccine.

If I don't vaccinate my child then he definitely won't suffer any side effects. Also, the probability of him getting measles is extremely low, because, if so many people in society are vaccinated, the bacteria/viruses responsible for measles cannot survive.

Therefore, it is better not to vaccinate my child.

But if everybody followed the same logic, then nobody would be vaccinated and we'd be screwed. What is best for the individual is not best for society as a whole...
Scientific illiteracy and the allure of thinking you're one of a select few who view the world accurately while the masses (sheep) are deluded.
The big "Autism and MMR vaccine".
They are right. How is injecting yourself with the disease going to help?
They weren't vaccinated
Original post by FrothyGash
They are right. How is injecting yourself with the disease going to help?

You're joking...right?
To some extent you can certainly see the logic behind it.

You might turn the question and ask why you think vaccines are fine. Presumably you are aware roughly of the science that goes behind it. However as with all natural science, especially those which an average person is (realistically speaking) not going to have a chance to physically observe, we have to rely on an element of faith in the effectiveness of science. You combine this faith in addition to the notion that we are injecting a form of the disease into our body and pair that up further with a certain few controversial studies and its easy to see why someone might be scared.

I mean honestly, how many of you guys have had the chance to actually view the process of vaccines and creation of antibodies in person? Surely on some level you question what you hear in your biology lessons. Imagine what someone who hasn't even heard an explanation is likely to believe.
Reply 17
Its natural selection. Stupid people don't vaccinate their kids, they get serious disease and dies or suffers complications like brain damage and reduces the pool of stupid people that can reproduce.

My kids that are vaccinated don't get the diseases and is at an advantage when it comes to finding a mate.
Original post by champ_mc99
The big "Autism and MMR vaccine".

Only legitimate answer in this ******** thread
They're part of a govt conspiracy to inject us with Nanites and control our brains remotely. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending