The Student Room Group

Uni,gap year, defer?

I'll just ramble on,

Basically, I have no clue what to do. I am currently finishing my 2nd year of 'A levels' with an A* in my BTEC(dance) I've just finished, hopefully a B in English Lang and Lit and a B in my ICT AS level. This seems like such a mess I know. My first year of A levels were terrible, and I still don't know why. I honestly put the work in like I always have and whilst people around me were getting As and Bs I ended up getting a CDU(English, Maths and Psychology respectively). I honestly cried for a week and gave up temporarily, because a week later, I was sorting my life out and moving on, picking up an AS level in the process.

However, through researching and naturally because of the worrier I am, I have seen that when applying to jobs, even with a degree, a levels can be a make or break, and this worries me, as I don't have 3 full alevels which is most common. I have gone through the uni process, student finance and everything and have been pondering whether to stay on for a third year at sixth form and finish my ICT and either pick up an EPQ or try and do a full alevel alongside ICT and finish it in one year (maybe English Literature). I was also thinking to maybe do some work experience to help with my future ( hopefully in journalism)

OR

Go to uni and forget all my worries. I am a worrier I'm not going to lie, and the idea of uni really appeals to me and up to now I've been excited. I just feel like the lack of a levels that I've got will affect me later, even though I really hope it doesn't.

Long story short; what should I do?
Original post by Daniellehughes
I'll just ramble on,

Basically, I have no clue what to do. I am currently finishing my 2nd year of 'A levels' with an A* in my BTEC(dance) I've just finished, hopefully a B in English Lang and Lit and a B in my ICT AS level. This seems like such a mess I know. My first year of A levels were terrible, and I still don't know why. I honestly put the work in like I always have and whilst people around me were getting As and Bs I ended up getting a CDU(English, Maths and Psychology respectively). I honestly cried for a week and gave up temporarily, because a week later, I was sorting my life out and moving on, picking up an AS level in the process.

However, through researching and naturally because of the worrier I am, I have seen that when applying to jobs, even with a degree, a levels can be a make or break, and this worries me, as I don't have 3 full alevels which is most common. I have gone through the uni process, student finance and everything and have been pondering whether to stay on for a third year at sixth form and finish my ICT and either pick up an EPQ or try and do a full alevel alongside ICT and finish it in one year (maybe English Literature). I was also thinking to maybe do some work experience to help with my future ( hopefully in journalism)

OR

Go to uni and forget all my worries. I am a worrier I'm not going to lie, and the idea of uni really appeals to me and up to now I've been excited. I just feel like the lack of a levels that I've got will affect me later, even though I really hope it doesn't.

Long story short; what should I do?

I completely failed my first attempt at year 12 - I got EEUU in Bio, Psych, Maths and Chem. It depends - are you happy with the degree you have chosen? If you are, go ahead with it - after you have your degree what you did in A-Levels etc won't matter, and you can get Journalism work experience in uni! One of my possible careers is in Journalism too :smile:

I was like you - ready to give up. My only advice is DON'T. After getting EEUU I got ABC at AS Level and now have a conditional place at Cardiff... and God knows I am one of the most pessimistic people...

If you're not happy with the degree you have chosen then perhaps a gap year would be of benefit to you.
Original post by emiloujess
I completely failed my first attempt at year 12 - I got EEUU in Bio, Psych, Maths and Chem. It depends - are you happy with the degree you have chosen? If you are, go ahead with it - after you have your degree what you did in A-Levels etc won't matter, and you can get Journalism work experience in uni! One of my possible careers is in Journalism too :smile:

I was like you - ready to give up. My only advice is DON'T. After getting EEUU I got ABC at AS Level and now have a conditional place at Cardiff... and God knows I am one of the most pessimistic people...

If you're not happy with the degree you have chosen then perhaps a gap year would be of benefit to you.

Thank you for your reply! And yes I am happy with my degree choice (English and Creative Writing) but I always had the doubt in my mind about finishing a degree and my a levels holding me back still. I'm all for uni but at the same time I wouldn't mind putting it off for a year to strengthen my a levels. I'm just a bit everywhere atm.

But its nice to hear of your improvement with a levels! Well done with the conditional from Cardiff! I hope everything goes well for you!
Original post by Daniellehughes
Thank you for your reply! And yes I am happy with my degree choice (English and Creative Writing) but I always had the doubt in my mind about finishing a degree and my a levels holding me back still. I'm all for uni but at the same time I wouldn't mind putting it off for a year to strengthen my a levels. I'm just a bit everywhere atm.

But its nice to hear of your improvement with a levels! Well done with the conditional from Cardiff! I hope everything goes well for you!

If you're ready for university now, I'd go! There are plenty of people who get in with BTECs or a mix of qualifications - I know TSR doesn't show it but still :tongue: As long as you have work experience and your degree I very much doubt that the extra year will benefit you.

But if you're still not sure, wait until Results Day. All of us are under a lot of stress right now and personally I've banned myself from making any major decisions. If on Results Day you're thrilled at getting into uni there is no reason why you shouldn't just go :smile:

Thanks, and congratulations on your offer too! :smile: Best of luck!
Original post by emiloujess
If you're ready for university now, I'd go! There are plenty of people who get in with BTECs or a mix of qualifications - I know TSR doesn't show it but still :tongue: As long as you have work experience and your degree I very much doubt that the extra year will benefit you.

But if you're still not sure, wait until Results Day. All of us are under a lot of stress right now and personally I've banned myself from making any major decisions. If on Results Day you're thrilled at getting into uni there is no reason why you shouldn't just go :smile:

Thanks, and congratulations on your offer too! :smile: Best of luck!

Thank you! I am feeling more optimistic about the future now:smile: I should really ban myself from thinking so negatively! I'm going to wait until Results day and deal with it then because until I've got them on paper, I can't really do anything. Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest