The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The-Hof123
Does anyone know what the character and voice poems were last year? Just so that I can try and predict what they'll be this year. So far, these are the ones that I have seen haven't been done yet:
The Clown Punk
Medusa
Brendon Gallacher
Give
My Last Duchess
The Hunchback in the Park
The Ruined Maid
(from 2012-2014, I had a look at the past papers. ^Those are the ones that didn't come up, so will be more likely to be in the one this year^) Although it all depends on which ones were done last year. I hope we get Medusa and The River God, they're both really easy :smile:

Hi,

My Last Duchess and Brendon Gallacher came up in the AQA 2015 paper. I just had a look at all the past papers and I think this year the questions will be from the following poems:

Medusa
Ozymandias
Give
The Ruined Maid
Checking out me history

Any thoughts?
Reply 221
Original post by Ella_08
Good point! I see a lot of people saying it will be the American Dream... if dreams do come up, in your opinion, do you think it will just be "how is the American Dream presented" or through a character such as "how is the American Dream presented through Candy/Carlson/Curley's Wife...etc" ??

Good question! Personally I doubt the American dream will come up, however if it does, I don't think they will specifically ask you to demonstrate the idea through using the characters as such, however both of the questions you have stated are similar, in that both require the usage of characters. That being said, they are bound to make this years paper much harder, so it should follow that if the American dream does come up, the first bit will most probably be the paragraph on the 'fatta the lan' then part B as per usual will be to show how the American dream is demonstrated throughout the text. As I said, I personally don't think the questions will be based on the American dream.

Hope that answers your question, sorry for the long post.
Reply 222
Original post by GeekMode1
Hi,

My Last Duchess and Brendon Gallacher came up in the AQA 2015 paper. I just had a look at all the past papers and I think this year the questions will be from the following poems:

Medusa
Ozymandias
Give
The Ruined Maid
Checking out me history

Any thoughts?

I don't think it will be Medusa or the river God, as both of these poems have been used as the comparing poems many times. As I predict this years paper will be harder, I have a feeling it will be either The Ruined Maid or Give, as again a lot of the people tend to use Checking out me history a lot especially for identity based questions. These are just my predictions from your proposals.
Original post by Lucofthewoods
Studying Of Mice and Men, short stories and the relationships cluster

Same :smile:
Reply 224
Hi Guys,
I've just been looking through some past papers and I'm fairly sure that this years paper, the question on AIC will be based on either Sheila or Gerald, as the typical 'How does Priestly present them....' I think it will be Sheila as she is more of a prominent character than Gerald and there's much more to talk about. What do you guys think??
Original post by Ram235
Hi Guys,
I've just been looking through some past papers and I'm fairly sure that this years paper, the question on AIC will be based on either Sheila or Gerald, as the typical 'How does Priestly present them....' I think it will be Sheila as she is more of a prominent character than Gerald and there's much more to talk about. What do you guys think??

I agree! My teacher thinks it will be Sheila aswell!
Whats everyones predictions for this years relationship poem cluster , i have a feeling it will be brothers and to his coy mistress :frown:
What do you predict for Sunlight on The Grass?
Play: An Inspector Calls
Novel: Of Mice and Men
Poetry: Conflict

Any predictions??(
I never just 100% focus on predictions obviously, but I like having an idea)
Original post by tinyshadow0
Whats everyones predictions for this years relationship poem cluster , i have a feeling it will be brothers and to his coy mistress :frown:

I think maybe to his coy mistress and in Paris with you!
Reply 230
Original post by pink.lemonade
I agree! My teacher thinks it will be Sheila aswell!

Good to hear!! but Gerald has never been used before whereas Sheila has like 5 or 6 years ago, so revise both.
Reply 231
Original post by tinyshadow0

I think To His Coy Mistress and In Paris With You because Brothers is just such a simple poem, you can't analyse it that much so I doubt it's gunna be on the higher tier paper. 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
What theme do you think they will ask if the Ruined Maid or Give come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ram235
Good question! Personally I doubt the American dream will come up, however if it does, I don't think they will specifically ask you to demonstrate the idea through using the characters as such, however both of the questions you have stated are similar, in that both require the usage of characters. That being said, they are bound to make this years paper much harder, so it should follow that if the American dream does come up, the first bit will most probably be the paragraph on the 'fatta the lan' then part B as per usual will be to show how the American dream is demonstrated throughout the text. As I said, I personally don't think the questions will be based on the American dream.

Hope that answers your question, sorry for the long post.

Do you have any predictions for OMAM for part a) and b)?? Everyone is saying the American Dream, but I would find it helpful to hear what you think will come up. Thanks :h:
Original post by Ram235
Good to hear!! but Gerald has never been used before whereas Sheila has like 5 or 6 years ago, so revise both.

Gerald was the series after Sheila (possibly a Jan/Nov series) but also quite a while ago so think still likely!
Reply 235
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Do you have any predictions for OMAM for part a) and b)?? Everyone is saying the American Dream, but I would find it helpful to hear what you think will come up. Thanks :h:

Hi,
I don't think the American dream will come up explicitly, because it's a theme that links with other themes, for example Crooks' loneliness is the source of his dream. To tell the truth I'm pretty sure we are going to be surprised by the questions this year as they maybe harder and as this is the final year of OMAM, I think that they will go along the lines of something to do with the cruel nature of humans perhaps for part a the extract could be the fight between Curly and Lennie and then B as per usual could be to show how the predatory nature of humans is shown throughout. This may not be the case and I think another theme they could base it on is the scene where Candy offers the money to buy some land, so this would indeed tie in with the American dream.
However this is a prediction. I think as long as you know the text well and you can express your interpretations with an adequate level of sophistication, you can certainly get the grade you want!
Reply 236
Original post by pink.lemonade
Gerald was the series after Sheila (possibly a Jan/Nov series) but also quite a while ago so think still likely!

Coming to think of it, they could just a through one of those ambiguous stage/light etc orientated questions as they've used all of the characters.
Reply 237
Original post by GeekMode1
What theme do you think they will ask if the Ruined Maid or Give come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps 'change' for ruined maid.
Give is a harder one, maybe something about loneliness which nicely links with Medusa.
Original post by Ram235
Coming to think of it, they could just a through one of those ambiguous stage/light etc orientated questions as they've used all of the characters.

True! Although every year one question tends to be character and the other a theme/stage direction (as you get to choose) - the first ever character question was just 'the birlings' which would be quite nice!
Original post by Ram235
Hi,
I don't think the American dream will come up explicitly, because it's a theme that links with other themes, for example Crooks' loneliness is the source of his dream. To tell the truth I'm pretty sure we are going to be surprised by the questions this year as they maybe harder and as this is the final year of OMAM, I think that they will go along the lines of something to do with the cruel nature of humans perhaps for part a the extract could be the fight between Curly and Lennie and then B as per usual could be to show how the predatory nature of humans is shown throughout. This may not be the case and I think another theme they could base it on is the scene where Candy offers the money to buy some land, so this would indeed tie in with the American dream.
However this is a prediction. I think as long as you know the text well and you can express your interpretations with an adequate level of sophistication, you can certainly get the grade you want!

Thanks for your reply - yeah, that is also a strong possibility. Thanks for your ideas :smile: What other book are you studying? I am doing the Crucible :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending