The Student Room Group

Changing into a foundation course after choosing firm and insurance

So it's been about 6-7 days since I've decided on my firm and insurance choices for uni, my firm choice being Mechanical Engineering at City University London requiring 320 UCAS points, and my insurance is Mechanical Engineering at Kingston University for 240 UCAS.

After starting revision, I realised the chances of me getting 320 UCAS points are slim, and I would rather not go Kingston. My friends been saying that it's bad and one of them goes Kingston College and said that there are students from that uni coming over sometimes and even they've been saying that it's just bad...

Now I'm considering calling up UCAS later on today and telling them to dissmiss that choice, and when I don't get the grades to get into City I'll either go into clearing and apply for a foundation course there, or call the university in a few days and ask them to change the course into an Engineering foundation.

Now, is that even possible to do?
Or would it be better to just wait for results day and get there through clearing?

If I call them wouldn't they also ask me why the lower grades or something, cos there's no real reason for me getting lower grades other than having a hard time to get revising :frown:
Original post by dexirion
So it's been about 6-7 days since I've decided on my firm and insurance choices for uni, my firm choice being Mechanical Engineering at City University London requiring 320 UCAS points, and my insurance is Mechanical Engineering at Kingston University for 240 UCAS.

After starting revision, I realised the chances of me getting 320 UCAS points are slim, and I would rather not go Kingston. My friends been saying that it's bad and one of them goes Kingston College and said that there are students from that uni coming over sometimes and even they've been saying that it's just bad...

Now I'm considering calling up UCAS later on today and telling them to dissmiss that choice, and when I don't get the grades to get into City I'll either go into clearing and apply for a foundation course there, or call the university in a few days and ask them to change the course into an Engineering foundation.

Or would it be better to just wait for results day and get there through clearing?

If I call them wouldn't they also ask me why the lower grades or something, cos there's no real reason for me getting lower grades other than having a hard time to get revising :frown:

I wouldn't rely on what other people have said but if you're certain that you don't want to go to Kingston, I'd try and change it now because the process may be much more difficult post results day.
Reply 2
Oh God, it's bank holiday today UCAS is not taking any phone calls... Was the cooling period 7 days?
Reply 3
I wouldn't bother to be honest. If you don't get the grades on result day just call them up and ask whether or not they can offer you foundation instead
Reply 4
How do I then get out of my insurance choice? It's the seventh day and I can't call them today since it's a bank holiday, and on their website they say they're closed today...:dontknow:

Don't go to Kingston.

Phone them up and see if that is possible. If not, I wouldn't worry too much. One of my mates got into his firm for Aeronautical engineering at a university I don't remember the name of, he rejected it and got himself into Southampton for Mechanical engineering with foundation through clearing (infinitely better than the initial university)

If you're thinking of taking the clearing route, plan ahead. But for now, focus on your exams. You can think about everything else after your exams are over.
Reply 6
Is it possible to change my firm from the BEng course into the foundation course at the same uni? I'm getting really stressed now after reading that 'insurance choice was your commitment' and they might not let me go into clearing
Reply 7
Is it possible to change my firm from the BEng course into the foundation course at the same uni? I'm getting really stressed now after reading that 'insurance choice was your commitment' and they might not let me go into clearing

Why choose a foundation if you've been accepted to the normal entry? Stay with what you have and then go into Clearing if really necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending