The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ayman!
I think I sorta figured it out. Quota is completely random in who it interviews (no random numbering or such) while stratified is systematic. Thank you. :h:

The textbook says that it's a non-random process though?
Original post by Ayman!
I think I sorta figured it out. Quota is completely random in who it interviews (no random numbering or such) while stratified is systematic. Thank you. :h:

The notes say that quota is non-random (it must be due to how it is done) whereas though things are numbered when you're stratifying, the numbers that are picked should be random. So I'm not too sure what Edexcel are trying to say. :s-smilie:
Original post by Zacken
The textbook says that it's a non-random process though?

Original post by SeanFM
The notes say that quota is non-random (it must be due to how it is done) whereas though things are numbered when you're stratifying, the numbers that are picked should be random. So I'm not too sure what Edexcel are trying to say. :s-smilie:

Surely picking random members of the population to interview is a random process? Looks like I don't quite get it yet. :redface:
Original post by Ayman!
Surely picking random members of the population to interview is a random process? Looks like I don't quite get it yet. :redface:

I think it comes from the 'people who don't respond aren't recorded' and that you might interview 11 people for a quota of 10 because the 8th person didn't respond :s-smilie:

Sounds like rubbish anyway. :s-smilie:
Original post by SeanFM
Sounds like rubbish anyway. :s-smilie:

This is the only bit of S3 that makes me go :banghead: Reminds me of A-level Biology. Wish I could have done S4 instead. :frown:
Original post by Ayman!
This is the only bit of S3 that makes me go :banghead: Reminds me of A-level Biology. Wish I could have done S4 instead. :frown:

The good thing is, if it comes up you can make something up, similar to stratified sampling but with an interviewer, and it'll probably be right (and just remember interview bias / non responses not recorded).
Reply 186
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, but they're concerned with ranks. Notice that the higher the (number of) rank, the greater the number of pages.

I always thought of it in my head as a graph so the claim would show a negative correlation(as one decreases the other increases). Not too sure I get it though.
Original post by Rkai01
I always thought of it in my head as a graph so the claim would show a negative correlation(as one decreases the other increases). Not too sure I get it though.

I see what you're saying, it's a bit confusing to me as well. :redface:

I guess you have to think of a graph with (1,50), (2,212)...(10,317), but double check with another example from a past paper or textbook.
Is EX2A Q5 just wrong with the random numbers questions for part b and c.
also which papers do people consider the hardest - would like to use them as mock papers.

And are the solomon press papers worth doing :smile:
S3 Question Estimators.jpg

Pls explain this Lol

Solved: Thanks Zacken
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
S3 Question Estimators.jpg

Pls explain this Lol

Solved: Thanks Zacken

I think solutions bank is wrong and you're right, as don't you only square the constants if you're scaling the distribution? Not completely sure :smile:
Original post by economicss
I think solutions bank is wrong and you're right, as don't you only square the constants if you're scaling the distribution? Not completely sure :smile:

Actaully S.B. was right lol :smile:

You use from S1: Var(aX + bY) = a^2Var(X) + b^2Var(Y).

The operation is thus:

Var(2X1+3X10/5) = Var(0.4X1 + 0.6X10) = (0.4)^2 Var(X1) + (0.6)^2 Var(X10)

=13/25 (sigma^2) :smile:

-Thanks to Zacken and ayman for helping correct me :smile:

The operation is thus:

Ah I see, thank you :smile:
If the mean is written as sigma x /n then we do not regard it as a statistic - only mu would not be a statistic
If the mean is written as sigma x /n then we do not regard it as a statistic - only mu would not be a statistic

Are you asking a question? :tongue:

What is the definition of a statistic?
Original post by SeanFM
Are you asking a question? :tongue:

I think so lol, that didn't make much sense though Lol
I think so lol, that didn't make much sense though Lol

Could you rephrase it? :tongue:

The operation is thus:

I had just done this ;-;
Original post by SeanFM
Could you rephrase it? :tongue:

Statistic = If X1,X2,X3,...,Xn is a random sample of size n from some population, then a statistic T is a random variable consisting of any function of the Xi that involves no other unknown quantities. A stastic must not contain any unknown population paramaters.

Is that okay? Or words to that effect

Original post by Imperion
I had just done this ;-;

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending