The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CPMH
I got 45/50 in my coursework and 27/30 in my speaking and listening, how much guess wise would i need for an A in my exam

Aim for 100%

no matter what do you

aim for full marks

what other mark would you ever want
Hi :smile:

I'm nervous about the summary question - in practice I tend to either write too much to make sure they don't penalise me for not writing all the necessary points, or I do the opposite: I infer too much and summarize more than I need to.

Does anyone have advice for the summary question?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 462
Original post by CPMH
I got 45/50 in my coursework and 27/30 in my speaking and listening, how much guess wise would i need for an A in my exam

30+ to be safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 463
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Aim for 100%

no matter what do you

aim for full marks

what other mark would you ever want

Yea your right, i shouldnt trap myself to get a certain amount of marks. How are you doing in your gcse anyway
Original post by clockworkbella
Hi :smile:

I'm nervous about the summary question - in practice I tend to either write too much to make sure they don't penalise me for not writing all the necessary points, or I do the opposite: I infer too much and summarize more than I need to.

Does anyone have advice for the summary question?

Yes.
In the actual exam, you make 15 points first which can literally be opied word-for-word from the text - that's 15 marks

Then use these 15 points to produce a shortened paragraph, summing the text up in your own words - bear in mind this is only FIVE marks

Aim to write about 1 side for the paragraph summary.
Do we need to write in paragraphs for question 1?
Reply 466

Thanks, How you doing in your GCSE'S?
Original post by CPMH
Yea your right, i shouldnt trap myself to get a certain amount of marks. How are you doing in your gcse anyway

this igcse exam tomorrow i'm at peace with. I got an A in my mock...so that's pretty neat

the computing exam, however, makes me want to shoot myself. millions of times. an eternal shooting.

How about you?
Original post by Blaze3211
Do we need to write in paragraphs for question 1?

Yes.

I would write paragraphs according to the bullet points.

So one paragraph per bullet.
Yes.
In the actual exam, you make 15 points first which can literally be opied word-for-word from the text - that's 15 marks

Then use these 15 points to produce a shortened paragraph, summing the text up in your own words - bear in mind this is only FIVE marks

Aim to write about 1 side for the paragraph summary.

Thank you!

Are you sure that they will allow you to write the 15 points using their words and not your own? :smile:
Reply 470
this igcse exam tomorrow i'm at peace with. I got an A in my mock...so that's pretty neat

the computing exam, however, makes me want to shoot myself. millions of times. an eternal shooting.

How about you?

My gcse are going good so far, just abut worried about the science's and history although in mocks i get good grades but i believe ill just crack under the pressure
Original post by clockworkbella
Thank you!

Are you sure that they will allow you to write the 15 points using their words and not your own? :smile:

Yes, I guarantee it. You use their words first and then convert that into a paragraph using your own words.

Good luck c:
Original post by CPMH
My gcse are going good so far, just abut worried about the science's and history although in mocks i get good grades but i believe ill just crack under the pressure

Yeah, science is tricky. The exam questions are far too slippery for my liking.
I don't do history, but I've heard there's a heck of a lot of facts to learn. Sounds a little agonizing, but hey.

Me too, the pressure is what i'm worried about. and getting drowsy/tired.
But screw that defeat-ist attitude. You're gonna do SMOOTHLY in these exams, got it? SMOOTH as anything.
Reply 473
Yeah, science is tricky. The exam questions are far too slippery for my liking.
I don't do history, but I've heard there's a heck of a lot of facts to learn. Sounds a little agonizing, but hey.

Me too, the pressure is what i'm worried about. and getting drowsy/tired.
But screw that defeat-ist attitude. You're gonna do SMOOTHLY in these exams, got it? SMOOTH as anything.

Yea your right, were both ganna smash these exams and come out with A's, keep in touch when you finish your exams, i want to be seeing A's on your results sheet

How about you?

Same I do computer science, what exam board are you doing for computing?

BTW ,Good luck tomorrow.
Yes, I guarantee it. You use their words first and then convert that into a paragraph using your own words.

Good luck c:

Thank you! All the best to you as well! :h:
can someone give me an example paragraph answer for question 2?
Do I have to develop points in section 3b like in question 1?
Reply 478
Original post by TSlayerr
Do I have to develop points in section 3b like in question 1?

No. You need to be concise.
Original post by ad4m
No. You need to be concise.

ok ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending