The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Youngmetro
Good, stop quoting me now, it was entertaining triggering you, not anymore.

Mmm, I agree. You obviously lost this one, by a good amount I'll say.
Hopefully next time, you'll actually do research before running your mouth.
Ta-ra
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Mmm, I agree. You obviously lost this one, by a good amount I'll say.
Hopefully next time, you'll actually do research before running your mouth.
Ta-ra

You seem very obsessed with 'winning' even though i've exposed your insecurities and fallacies. Failing to reply doesnt mean ive lost.
Racism, superiority complexity, colonialism and slavery? No thanks. And dont gimme this ******** 'but but but we werent the only ones to take slaves'

Why you getting emotional? Is being british the only thing you can be proud of?

LMAO at you. As if other races didn't take slaves, hell, the Africans made slaves of each other and Islam is still making slaves in that part of the world. If I'm not mistaken Saudia Arabia only criminalised slavery as recently as the seventies.

The British have much to be proud of and I'm proud that I'm a Brit
(edited 7 years ago)
Is this how you defend their actions? "everyone else did it, so why cant the brits do it too"

good for you, be proud
Reply 124
There are different kinds of patriotism.

When Thatcher called Attlee a 'patriot' I doubt she was referring to the massive flag of St George flapping above his caravan, his dislike of ethnic minorities or his propensity to bawl Rule Britannia at every football match England appeared in
tl;dr, apart from the end bit.

And do leave Britain now if you want, you're obliged to go back to that third world fascist pig sty.
Is this how you defend their actions? "everyone else did it, so why cant the brits do it too"

good for you, be proud

No. I'm merely pointing out that other countries and ethnic groups have done what the British did in the past and nobody criticizes their patriotism. Nowhere did I say that slavery is morally right. Why is Britain not allowed to be patriotic but Saudi Arabians are? Someone mentioned the Chinese earlier on this thread but you know they've been basically taking over Tibet by force, right?

I intend to be, we have some of the best educational institutions in the world and our values and respect for human rights is awesome. Our culture is about respecting others, unlike some other cultures in the world I can think of
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

I believe that being proud of your country is different to being racist, just because you are proud of your country does not automatically mean that you dislike all others or dislike people from other countries.

(Not saying that I am or am not proud of my country, merely stating my opinion)
No one has said that the british cannot be patriotic, just that the entire of it is based on irrationality, the idea that you are born into this country so you are patriotic, the same argument can be used with religions too.
No one has said that the british cannot be patriotic, just that the entire of it is based on irrationality, the idea that you are born into this country so you are patriotic, the same argument can be used with religions too.

Well, seeing as you can't choose what country you're from or born or into you might aswell embrace it and be proud of all the good it does. After all, if Britain was so bad, why do thousands of immigrants try to get in here? We must be doing something right.

I agree that the violently nationalistic often don't have anything else going on in their lives, but being proud of the NHS? Oxbridge? The millions in humanitarian aid we spend on other countries? What's the harm in that?
As I said its based on irrationality but when nationalists nowadays use their pride to undermine other cultures (as shown on this thread) and think they're superior, it ironically demeans their own agenda.
Obviously your nationality is Russian.

Yes, your precious USSR collapsed and now Putin the Paedophile runs a fascist country. 20 million died under Stalin and the country is one of the most intolerant in the world. Im sure you would fit in fine in such a backward country
Much of the left likes to make arbitrary statements that run contrary to the nature of humans as a social animal, and brand this 'rational'.

It is perfectly natural, appropriate, and indeed socially useful for people to feel a sense of identity with the culture that surrounds them, and to take pride in their identity.
As I said its based on irrationality but when nationalists nowadays use their pride to undermine other cultures (as shown on this thread) and think they're superior, it ironically demeans their own agenda.

Harmless irrationality nonetheless provided you aren't a raging neo-Nazi

The ability to express and hold such opinions is a consequence of free speech, which is, again, another virtue of living in the west
Well, the problem is you cannot justify irrationality with a rational argument, its fallacious. You would have to acknowledge that it is indeed irrational. which i have no problem with whatsoever, even if i do disagree with it.

The problem i have is the idea that they use this irrational feeling to believe they are superior.
Well, the problem is you cannot justify irrationality with a rational argument, its fallacious. You would have to acknowledge that it is indeed irrational. which i have no problem with whatsoever, even if i do disagree with it.

The problem i have is the idea that they use this irrational feeling to believe they are superior.

So do you believe that all cultures are equally valid and are of equal benefit to the world regardless of the values they hold and the morals they have?
Most people have misunderstood what the term means.

Patriotism simply means a love of ones homeland, what kind of scum doesn't care about the place they live in? I have an attachment to its land, people and prosperity.

Nationalism means to pursue a state in the interests of one's nation, usually as a distinct ethnic group with shared history.

Xenophobia is the conviction that one's homeland is superior to another and that they should be attacked for it.
Cultural relativism is the principle that an individual person's beliefs and activities should be understood by others in terms of that individual's own culture.
so yes, all cultures are equal. It isnt about validity, since only those part of the culture would practise it. How beneficial a culture is is totally subjective, one can argue the west was of huge value, others would argue colonialism was a big step back in the development of poorer nations and is ultimately regressive. Same can be said for other cultures too. No one can ultimately say one is better, that can be your own opinion but it isnt valid since all cultures are equal.
Original post by tengentoppa
He probably wants something more exotic, like FGM or honour killings.

aw man that was good, PRSOM
Cultural relativism is the principle that an individual person's beliefs and activities should be understood by others in terms of that individual's own culture.
so yes, all cultures are equal. It isnt about validity, since only those part of the culture would practise it. How beneficial a culture is is totally subjective, one can argue the west was of huge value, others would argue colonialism was a big step back in the development of poorer nations and is ultimately regressive. Same can be said for other cultures too. No one can ultimately say one is better, that can be your own opinion but it isnt valid since all cultures are equal.

Okay, so, you, being a cultural relativist, then. Lets say for arguments sake the traditional Aztec culture of south America was still around today, along with all of it's, um... Less-than-humanitarian practices and rituals. Would you consider that culture to be equal to our own, modern culture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending