The Student Room Group

Sophisticated words to use in English Language exam tomorrow?

Especially for connectives, I use the words 'however' and 'therefore' too often. Any others words that can be used instead? Thanks :tongue:
For essays I usually try to include these, penultimately, consequently, thus and Irrevocably .
Hope they're useful and good luck with your exam. :smile:
Original post by jamiemariec
For essays I usually try to include these, penultimately, consequently, thus and Irrevocably .
Hope they're useful and good luck with your exam. :smile:

Ah! Thank you so much, I will deffo use these tomorrow and thanks! :smile:
Hello :h:,
i sit my exam tomorrow aswell! this really helps me, so i hope it helps you!

https://www.tamiu.edu/uc/writingcenter/documents/TransitionsandConnectives.pdf

Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 4
Read the past paper examples, and note down any vocabulary they use and it's meaning.
I normally use 'at the same time' too much in essays instead of however.
Reply 6
You could use: hence, furthermore, moreover, in, within, amid, with, through, additionally, in addition - there are loads that you can use!
However, don't over convolute your writing with fancy connectives. Sometimes just saying 'the' or 'this' is more effective.
The answers above are great, just make sure that you don't go overboard with synonyms because sometimes the words don't have the exact same meaning :h:
Reply 8
You mean connectives, yes?

Conversely; having said that; consequently; however; nevertheless; thus; furthermore; hence.

Also, try to make successful use of semi-colons. They can greatly improve the flow of your essays, especially if you are making a complex argument.
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
You could use: hence, furthermore, moreover, in, within, amid, with, through, additionally, in addition - there are loads that you can use!
However, don't over convolute your writing with fancy connectives. Sometimes just saying 'the' or 'this' is more effective.

Original post by surina16
The answers above are great, just make sure that you don't go overboard with synonyms because sometimes the words don't have the exact same meaning :h:

Original post by VannR
You mean connectives, yes?

Conversely; having said that; consequently; however; nevertheless; thus; furthermore; hence.

Also, try to make successful use of semi-colons. They can greatly improve the flow of your essays, especially if you are making a complex argument.

Daaaamn, thank you all for the much appreciated help!! I'll definitely use these tomorrow but making sure I don't overdo it!! Thank you so much y'all!!

Quick Reply

Latest