The Student Room Group

I don't know what A-Levels to take, help!

Im in Year 11 at the moment, my GCSE's are in two weeks but I'm worrying about what subjects to choose for A Level. I'm studying Art, Graphics, French and Computing at the moment amd obviously English, Maths and Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) which are compulsory. I'm set on doing Art, Graphics and even though I find it boring I'm naturally quite good at it so I'm doing English Lit too. But i have no idea what to do for my fourth subject. I'm interested in Photography but i don't want to take that because if nothing works out for me in the art/design area of things which I've been told is hard to find jobs in anyway, I'll have nothing else except English. I'm definitely not continuing French or any Sciences because I hate them. And I don't want to do Computing anymore either, or Maths. So I don't know what to choose.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think what career you want to pursue when your older.. for example if you want to be a doctor then you would choose something along the lines of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and maybe a language. Also take into consideration of what alevels unis accept. some unis may not accept art or graphics.. You may enjoy media studies aswell because it sound like your creative but yet again some unis may not accept them.... i recommended seeing your school careers advisor because the choice of alevels can affect your life!
Reply 2
What are you predicted? Do something you enjoy and have a look at what jobs you are interested in and if you want to go to university, look at what the entry requirements are. Depending on grades, if they are averaging around a C some places may let you just do 3 subjects, although to do a levels you really need a B in that subject (or equivalent)
You could do an apprenticeship or look at alternative routes :smile:
Original post by jlee45
Im in Year 11 at the moment, my GCSE's are in two weeks but I'm worrying about what subjects to choose for A Level. I'm studying Art, Graphics, French and Computing at the moment amd obviously English, Maths and Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) which are compulsory. I'm set on doing Art, Graphics and even though I find it boring I'm naturally quite good at it so I'm doing English Lit too. But i have no idea what to do for my fourth subject. I'm interested in Photography but i don't want to take that because if nothing works out for me in the art/design area of things which I've been told is hard to find jobs in anyway, I'll have nothing else except English. I'm definitely not continuing French or any Sciences because I hate them. And I don't want to do Computing anymore either, or Maths. So I don't know what to choose.

If you find it boring I'd even advise against doing Eng Lit to be honest. Have you looked at Law, Psychology or Sociology?
Can you take a humanity?
Geography or History.
Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry and & a MFL such as Russian. Drop FM or Russian at AS.
Original post by jlee45

I'd say pick what you most enjoy, but aim to take at least two facilitating subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Edminzodo
I'd say pick what you most enjoy, but aim to take at least two facilitating subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by facilitating subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by Katie1599
What are you predicted? Do something you enjoy and have a look at what jobs you are interested in and if you want to go to university, look at what the entry requirements are. Depending on grades, if they are averaging around a C some places may let you just do 3 subjects, although to do a levels you really need a B in that subject (or equivalent)
You could do an apprenticeship or look at alternative routes :smile:

I'm predicted mostly As and Bs, and I'm aiming for an A* in Graphics. I've heard a bit about apprenticeships but aren't they things like hairdressing or building? I've never really looked into them
Reply 9
Original post by emiloujess
If you find it boring I'd even advise against doing Eng Lit to be honest. Have you looked at Law, Psychology or Sociology?

Hmmm I'm not really interested in that sort of thing, i did look at Sociology for GCSE but i never took it on. I'm finding it so hard to choose subjects
Original post by jlee45
Hmmm I'm not really interested in that sort of thing, i did look at Sociology for GCSE but i never took it on. I'm finding it so hard to choose subjects

You asked for suggestions but you're batting away every suggestion we make :frown: Have you been to taster days??
Reply 11
Original post by أنيسة
Can you take a humanity?
Geography or History.

I'm not really interested in them :/ and almosy my entire year absolutely hate History and get a lot of work for it anyway, it doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy
Original post by jlee45
What do you mean by facilitating subjects?

They are subjects that are liked by any university (even if it has nothing to do with your course) and the most prestigious ones.

For example;
Maths,
English
Science
Humanities
Languages
Original post by jlee45
I'm not really interested in them :/ and almosy my entire year absolutely hate History and get a lot of work for it anyway, it doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy

Ah, :smile:, Geography is interesting but it is a lot of work.
What about psychology or media studies?
Reply 14
Original post by Dan19983
Think what career you want to pursue when your older.. for example if you want to be a doctor then you would choose something along the lines of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and maybe a language. Also take into consideration of what alevels unis accept. some unis may not accept art or graphics.. You may enjoy media studies aswell because it sound like your creative but yet again some unis may not accept them.... i recommended seeing your school careers advisor because the choice of alevels can affect your life!

I'm looking at something creative, I really enjoy Graphic Design but I've heard its difficult to get jobs in things like that. My aunt told me English is a good subject to have, and I'm thinking of doing that, its just the last subject I'm stuck on. I do French at the moment and i know its good to have a language but my teacher its absolutely terrible and I have no motivation for it at all, my grade in french has dropped A LOT, and its looking like I'm not going to get any higher than a C, so French is off my list. I have no idea what to choose.
Reply 15
Original post by أنيسة
Ah, :smile:, Geography is interesting but it is a lot of work.
What about psychology or media studies?

Media studies was an option at one of the schools I looked at, but unfortunately the school I've chosen doesn't have media studies😩
Reply 16
Original post by أنيسة
They are subjects that are liked by any university (even if it has nothing to do with your course) and the most prestigious ones.

For example;
Maths,
English
Science
Humanities
Languages

Ahh okay! I mean I'm looking at taking English which would be good right? I do study French but my grade in it has dropped a lot because of the teacher and me generally having no motivation for it, i don't think I'm going to get any higher than a C in it tbh
Original post by jlee45
Ahh okay! I mean I'm looking at taking English which would be good right? I do study French but my grade in it has dropped a lot because of the teacher and me generally having no motivation for it, i don't think I'm going to get any higher than a C in it tbh

Yea English is good, i'm taking English Language. You could do both?
I wouldn't take French for A'level, i was going to, but on the taster day it was absolutely awful!
What about Philosophy and Ethics?
Maths and possibly Further Maths, also a science would be nice to go along with them.
Reply 19
Original post by أنيسة
Yea English is good, i'm taking English Language. You could do both?
I wouldn't take French for A'level, i was going to, but on the taster day it was absolutely awful!
What about Philosophy and Ethics?

No I'm not interested in that either :/ it involved a lot of class discussions and I'm quite a quiet person so I didn't see the point in taking it for GCSE, let alone A-Level. I'm not interested in Humanities either, or drama or anything like that. I absolutely hate Science, my schools science department is awful anyway and last years Year 11s did terrible in the science GCSEs so theres no way I'm doing that for A Level. And Maths is hard enough in GCSE, so thats a no too! I'm so stuck. I honestly don't know what to do, I've even asked my close friends for advice and they don't know either.

Quick Reply

Latest