The Student Room Group

I hate my life so much!

I don't know where i am heading in life/what to do in life.:frown:

I feel hopeless and feel like i won't amount to anything.:redface:

Everyone around me seems to know what they are doing but me which makes me feel depresed.:frown:

I don't know what to do, nothing genuinely interests me and i don't really know what i am good at to make a good career out of it.

When i was younger i had high aspirations but now everything just seems falling apart.:frown:

I want to make my parents proud and be in a good position to take care of them when i am older.

I don't want to be in a low paid job/ career.

Edit: I know going to university does not gyarantee success but everyone around me seems to think so which is naive.:s-smilie:

Academically, my GCSE'S(not literally) were a mess and now i am in college doing a level 3 qualification in hope of studing a health care degree, maybe nursing or midwifery but saying this, my science knowledge is pretty awful and i hate maths to be doing any sort of calculations.:redface:

What do i do?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Blackstarr

Everyone around me seems to know what they are doing but me which makes me feel depresed.:frown:

I don't know what to do, nothing genuinely interests me and i don't really know what i am good at to make a good career out of it.

When i was younger i had high aspirations but now everything just seems falling apart.:frown:

I want to make my parents proud and be in a good position to take care of them when i am older.

Edit: I know going to university does not gyarantee success but everyone around me seems to think so which is naive.:s-smilie:

Academically, my GCSE'S(not literally) were a mess and now i am in college doing a level 3 qualification in hope of studing a health care degree, maybe nursing or midwifery but saying this, my science knowledge is pretty awful and i hate maths to be doing any sort of calculations.:redface:

What do i do?

You don't have to know what to do already (most people don't have a clue whatsoever). What I suggest doing is keeping your options open, and choose something flexible. Try exploring possible courses and seeing if its for you before choosing to go with it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathemagicien
More details needed

E.g. grades?

Maths, English, German: C
Religious studies: B

And like 3 level 2 BTECs equivelent to C grades

Not impressive i know:redface:
Maths, English, German: C
Religious studies: B

And like 3 level 2 BTECs equivelent to C grades

Not impressive i know:redface:

You've got GCSEs at a pass grade. There's nothing wrong with them.
Reply 4
:console::jumphug:
We're in the same boat mate. Failing my AS atm
Reply 6
Asian?

What do i do?

Aww I know the feeling. :frown: you can always PM me, did you ever consider doing a blog like we discussed before?
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
You don't have to know what to do already (most people don't have a clue whatsoever). What I suggest doing is keeping your options open, and choose something flexible. Try exploring possible courses and seeing if its for you before choosing to go with it.

At the moment the college course i am on which is health and social care is free but when i turn 19, i will have to start paying for the courses, if i want to explore any.:frown:

I don't know how someone be certain of what career they want to get into at the age of 12?:s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Rhythmical
Aww I know the feeling. :frown: you can always PM me, did you ever consider doing a blog like we discussed before?

Hey and i have considered it but thought it will take much of my time away since i am not the best at writing.:redface:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You've got GCSEs at a pass grade. There's nothing wrong with them.

Yeah but these grades are not ideal whilst they are passes and dont know what to do with my life.:redface:
Original post by Erebor
Asian?

No.
Hey and i have considered it but thought it will take much of my time away since i am not the best at writing.:redface:

Aw it doesn't matter about the writing, it is a blog all about you and no one will judge on here. :hugs: I'm always here for you.
Original post by Rhythmical
Aw it doesn't matter about the writing, it is a blog all about you and no one will judge on here. :hugs: I'm always here for you.

Try looking for some work experience or maybe even research about apprenticeship schemes. Getting good work experience could help you decide on a career that is actually more suitable for you! It will also give a boost to your CV, especially if you lack sufficient grades.

Edit: I know going to university does not guarantee success but everyone around me seems to think so which is naive.:s-smilie:

What do i do?

Same

Same

Same

Same but i'm not sure what career i can make out of what i can do....

Sort of, i had a few but i dropped them when i started to think for myself.

Yes for my mum no for dad.

Same

Me 2 my GCSE's suck
honestly i don't think anyone knows what they are doing right now. There is nothing saying you have to go to uni to get a good job. Look at jobs that are in your line of work and try a couple out. The thing is with uni is you can go at ANY AGE. unfortunately, society seems to have some strange idea that if you don't have a degree you cant get anywhere. Most civil service jobs require an apprenticeship rather than a degree and they are some of the highest paid jobs.
If you don't know what you want to do don't panic, your GCSE's seem good i feel like you might be over thinking things. Also, make sure your not making a mistake i did, do what you want to do, don't try to just pick something to make your parents happy.
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Yeah but these grades are not ideal whilst they are passes and dont know what to do with my life.:redface:

You don't have to decide right now. There is a lot of pressure in the UK to choose a career at 18 and go to uni but you don't have to do that. You can finish your course and work for a bit until you realise what you want to do, what qualifications you need to get there etc. Your GCSEs are fine for nursing or midwifery if that's what you decide you want to do, and you can always learn the science or maths needed. I bet it's not as bad when it's actually applied to real life situations and not just cell structure of a leaf or triangle maths :smile:
Original post by infairverona
You don't have to decide right now. There is a lot of pressure in the UK to choose a career at 18 and go to uni but you don't have to do that. You can finish your course and work for a bit until you realise what you want to do, what qualifications you need to get there etc. Your GCSEs are fine for nursing or midwifery if that's what you decide you want to do, and you can always learn the science or maths needed. I bet it's not as bad when it's actually applied to real life situations and not just cell structure of a leaf or triangle maths :smile:

Yeah. I guess so
Reply 19
At the moment the college course i am on which is health and social care is free but when i turn 19, i will have to start paying for the courses, if i want to explore any.:frown:

I don't know how someone be certain of what career they want to get into at the age of 12?:s-smilie:

There are tasters courses, and you could always have a look at YouTube for videos for particular courses.

Quick Reply

Latest