The Student Room Group

Help!!! Are these gcses choices good enough to get into a good uni.....

I'm picking
History
French
Drama
Music
I want to be a LAWYER/barrister- I want to go to a uni like Durham are these choices good enough for me to study law in Durham or Cambridge???

Scroll to see replies

As long as you ace them with your core subjects, you'll be fine. It's worth checking the uni's for their current gcse standards, as its usually 6A*'s for cambridge. For the most part though they go off your a-level grades
Original post by AlteredBoy
As long as you ace them with your core subjects, you'll be fine. It's worth checking the uni's for their current gcse standards, as its usually 6A*'s for cambridge. For the most part though they go off your a-level grades

Hi,where did you get this 6 A* requirement for Cambridge,i'm sure they have no set requirement but actually base it of UMS A level scores?

From their website:
"
With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
There are great GCSE choices, I'm doing History, French, Triple Science and Psychology. I'm sure universities will appreciate your choice in Music a lot, as it's considered a very academic subject to them.
Original post by Blancosdos
Hi,where did you get this 6 A* requirement for Cambridge,i'm sure they have no set requirement but actually base it of UMS A level scores?

A friend a few years back did engineering at Cambridge, needed 6A*s at GCSE and 3A*s at A-level (I can't remember if they had to be above a certain % but there was something about it being at 98% in maths) and an A at AS - it must have changed since then
Reply 5
Original post by Harrykel
There are great GCSE choices, I'm doing History, French, Triple Science and Psychology. I'm sure universities will appreciate your choice in Music a lot, as it's considered a very academic subject to them.

What? Do all UNIs actually like music???
Reply 6
Original post by Lewis_GCSE
What? Do all UNIs actually like music???

If you can play any instrument, universities will surely think you're more academic and capable of large work-loads.
Reply 7

Also what do you want to do when your older and is physcology considered a soft subject ???
Reply 8
If you can play any instrument, universities will surely think you're more academic and capable of large work-loads.

Yeah but I'm more of a singer I'm really good at singing but not sure about instruments

Music isn't an academic subject lol. But universities like that you can play an instrument, and that you have a hobby/talent.
I want to go into the field of Mathematics. Don't really know what specifically yet. Also, for GCSE Music you still have to learn all the theory which someone who plays the piano would also have to learn. I'm also aspiring to go to Oxbridge, even though right now I'm procrastinating on TSR, aha.

Yeah but I'm more of a singer I'm really good at singing but not sure about instruments

Edit: Psychology is an exam-based subject so it's considered rather academic.
Reply 11
I want to go into the field of Mathematics. Don't really know what specifically yet. Also, for GCSE Music you still have to learn all the theory which someone who plays the piano would also have to learn. I'm also aspiring to go to Oxbridge, even though right now I'm procrastinating on TSR, aha.

Edit: Psychology is an exam-based subject so it's considered rather academic.

Do you find it fun and what do you want to be ???
Reply 12
uni's and colleges like music because it shows you can take a large work load and with instruments you generally have to learn new pieces quickly and with proper cultivation, (they think this skill can be used in other subjects) there is also a lot of written work involved you will have a lot of theory lessons and information to memorise also
Believe it or not, I'm also in Year 8, meaning that I haven't quite started my GCSEs yet. I just find the study of the mind rather fascinating. Like I said, I want to work in the field of Mathematics, but not quite sure yet. I've been thinking about a couple of professions, maybe I'll become a teacher?
Do you find it fun and what do you want to be ???
Reply 14
our high school doesnt offer psychology ;/
I chose my options last year. ( Music, Art Textiles, ICT & additional science)
Reply 15
Believe it or not, I'm also in Year 8, meaning that I haven't quite started my GCSEs yet. I just find the study of the mind rather fascinating. Like I said, I want to work in the field of Mathematics, but not quite sure yet. I've been thinking about a couple of professions, maybe I'll become a teacher?

Nah I'm in year 9 my school is just a weirdo lol
I suppose you're starting your GCSEs in Year 10... if so, unlucky mate. At our school, GCSEs will start in Year 9, therefore we can get as much time as possible to learn the content and specification for the subjects.
Nah I'm in year 9 my school is just a weirdo lol
I'm picking
History
French
Drama
Music
I want to be a LAWYER/barrister- I want to go to a uni like Durham are these choices good enough for me to study law in Durham or Cambridge???

These are much better than the choices on your other thread :smile: Music is generally considered an academic subject despite what someone said above. The GCSE involves a lot of Music theory which can be difficult (depends what grade you're at, when I did Music I was already doing grade 6 so doing theory to about grade 4 was piss by then) and you usually need at least grade 4 in an instrument which is also good for showing you're well-rounded.
Original post by romansholiday
Music isn't an academic subject lol. But universities like that you can play an instrument, and that you have a hobby/talent.

Music is an academic subject when you're doing music theory. Stuff like music technology BTEC isn't an academic subject.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

Music here is on the list of generally suitable arts, music technology however is on 'only suitable as fourth subjects'. Obviously that list isn't a be all and end all but it's a pretty good guide
Reply 19
Original post by infairverona
These are much better than the choices on your other thread :smile: Music is generally considered an academic subject despite what someone said above. The GCSE involves a lot of Music theory which can be difficult (depends what grade you're at, when I did Music I was already doing grade 6 so doing theory to about grade 4 was piss by then) and you usually need at least grade 4 in an instrument which is also good for showing you're well-rounded.

If you was me wanting to be alawyer at a good uni what would you pick?

Quick Reply

Latest