The Student Room Group

A - level options?

So i have my GCSE exams coming up in like 15 days, and im still struggling to decide what to do with my life and what i want to do in sixth form. I have chosen to do Maths, Chemistry, Psychology, Politics. I was just wondering if they are good A level subjects to take or not! Thank you ! xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megan.Rose..
So i have my GCSE exams coming up in like 15 days, and im still struggling to decide what to do with my life and what i want to do in sixth form. I have chosen to do Maths, Chemistry, Psychology, Politics. I was just wondering if they are good A level subjects to take or not! Thank you ! xx

What are you planning to study at uni?
Original post by hellomynameisr
What are you planning to study at uni?

Im not to sure yet! i was thinking of going into medicine but i havent made my mind up, are they a good range so that i could decide in the future?
Im not to sure yet! i was thinking of going into medicine but i havent made my mind up, are they a good range so that i could decide in the future?

STEM subjects are generally a good choice for any career tbh. I think the ones you've chosen would be okay for med but if you really want to go down that route, I'd suggest taking further maths/physics/biology instead of politics or psychology to strengthen your application
(edited 7 years ago)
If you want to do Medicine , if you like biology , then why not pick Bio instead of Politics?
& further maths instead of Philosophy?
STEM subjects are generally a good choice for any career tbh. I think the ones you've chosen would be okay for med but if you really want to go down that route, I'd suggest taking further maths/physics/biology instead of politics or psychology to strenthen your application

Yeah i may think about doing that! i was kinda torn between subjects that what get me further or picking ones that i enjoyed because im still unsure on what i want to do

If you want to do Medicine, biology is needed by quite a few medical schools.
I know someone who is taking a gap year to apply for Medicine next year, and she can only apply to certain universities without having done biology.
Original post by Ayaz789
If you want to do Medicine , if you like biology , then why not pick Bio instead of Politics?
& further maths instead of Philosophy?

I would do further maths but i dont know if im good enough or will be able to cope with two math subjects!
Yeah i may think about doing that! i was kinda torn between subjects that what get me further or picking ones that i enjoyed because im still unsure on what i want to do

Its really your choice in the end. I'd suggest finding more about the subjects you want to study by looking at their specification and seeing if it interests you. Also, take a look at uni prospectus' to see the variety of courses that you like and see what subjects are required for them.

I personally, chose subjects that I was good at but luckily, I enjoyed them so it was a two way win lol
I would do further maths but i dont know if im good enough or will be able to cope with two math subjects!

As long as you get an A in Gcse maths it'll be fine!:smile:
Original post by Peppercrunch
If you want to do Medicine, biology is needed by quite a few medical schools.
I know someone who is taking a gap year to apply for Medicine next year, and she can only apply to certain universities without having done biology.

Hmmm... i might need to consider taking Biology, i was debating it but i heard it was one of the hardest A levels you can do x
Original post by Ayaz789
As long as you get an A in Gcse maths it'll be fine!:smile:

Oh! That's fine then! Thankyou x
Oh! That's fine then! Thankyou x

Np :smile:x
Its really your choice in the end. I'd suggest finding more about the subjects you want to study by looking at their specification and seeing if it interests you. Also, take a look at uni prospectus' to see the variety of courses that you like and see what subjects are required for them.

I personally, chose subjects that I was good at but luckily, I enjoyed them so it was a two way win lol

Yeah! i have looked at many different courses, im just worried im going to pick a subject that im not going to like and i wont be able to change it ! But thankyou for your help! x
Yeah! i have looked at many different courses, im just worried im going to pick a subject that im not going to like and i wont be able to change it ! But thankyou for your help! x

np :smile:
Hmmm... i might need to consider taking Biology, i was debating it but i heard it was one of the hardest A levels you can do x

I'm on the old spec, so it's a bit different I think, but I've heard that it's pretty similar to the new one.

I didn't find it that difficult in year 12 as I got an A, but, A2 = a much bigger step up than GCSE -> AS. The content is easy to understand though, but it's mainly the application questions that you've got to look out for.

Also, you don't have any practical coursework with the new A levels, so that makes life a bit easier.

I'd recommend take it if you want to be able to apply to more universities and if you think that you will enjoy it. Don't take it if you absolutely hate it though, which I've done with chemistry and I'm regretting it in year 13.
Original post by Peppercrunch
I'm on the old spec, so it's a bit different I think, but I've heard that it's pretty similar to the new one.

I didn't find it that difficult in year 12 as I got an A, but, A2 = a much bigger step up than GCSE -> AS. The content is easy to understand though, but it's mainly the application questions that you've got to look out for.

Also, you don't have any practical coursework with the new A levels, so that makes life a bit easier.

I'd recommend take it if you want to be able to apply to more universities and if you think that you will enjoy it. Don't take it if you absolutely hate it though, which I've done with chemistry and I'm regretting it in year 13.

Okay! thats definitely put it into perspective and given me more confidence into choosing it, thankyou so much! x

Most people say one of the 3 main sciences are the hardest. Though you will need both chem and bio for medicine.
They seem like some good options but I would recommend biology for medicine. Good luck on your exams:smile:
Original post by zak7399
They seem like some good options but I would recommend biology for medicine. Good luck on your exams:smile:

Thankyou! x

Quick Reply

Latest