The Student Room Group

I hate my life so much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samonia
honestly i don't think anyone knows what they are doing right now. There is nothing saying you have to go to uni to get a good job. Look at jobs that are in your line of work and try a couple out. The thing is with uni is you can go at ANY AGE. unfortunately, society seems to have some strange idea that if you don't have a degree you cant get anywhere. Most civil service jobs require an apprenticeship rather than a degree and they are some of the highest paid jobs.
If you don't know what you want to do don't panic, your GCSE's seem good i feel like you might be over thinking things. Also, make sure your not making a mistake i did, do what you want to do, don't try to just pick something to make your parents happy.
Hope this helps :biggrin:

How do i figure out what i want to do? i don't really know what i am good at.:o:S

I don't want to follow any one anymore, i followed my sisters GCSE options and as a result did not do good in them as i did not originally had a passion for them.:frown:
Original post by kkboyk
There are tasters courses, and you could always have a look at YouTube for videos for particular courses.

Yeah.
Original post by Blackstarr

A good place to start is to go on examsolutions.com and watch the A level maths videos eventually you'll be good at maths and life.
Original post by FusionNetworks
Try looking for some work experience or maybe even research about apprenticeship schemes. Getting good work experience could help you decide on a career that is actually more suitable for you! It will also give a boost to your CV, especially if you lack sufficient grades.

I currently do my work experiance in a nurseryonce a week which is terrbile but has highlighted to me that i no longer want to work with children and be an early years teacher.
How do i figure out what i want to do? i don't really know what i am good at.:o:S

I don't want to follow any one anymore, i followed my sisters GCSE options and as a result did not do good in them as i did not originally had a passion for them.:frown:

Well, you seem quite nice and good at talking so maybe look at something people based? are you good at making computers work or at getting children to behave or good at making food or good at making people smile? Or do you care about the environment or ill people and want to make them better? If you think less academically you'll find it easier to find something.
Or even something such as do you like working in a shop? most big chains have allowances to let you work up to being a manager and big chains often have places abroad so you could even travel with it :biggrin:
Original post by Xenon17
A good place to start is to go on examsolutions.com and watch the A level maths videos eventually you'll be good at maths and life.

I only have a GCSE in maths at pass grade so don't do maths A level however, i know i needd to practice basic maths so yeah.
Original post by Xenon17

I only have a GCSE in maths at pass grade so don't do maths A level however, i know i needd to practice basic maths so yeah.
Just because you didn't do as well as you wanted to in the past it doesn't mean you can't do well now.

I got similar GCSE grades to you, now I'm doing health & social care too and aiming for D*D*D* then hopefully in uni I'll either be doing early childhood studies or primary education.
I have a friend who has achieved much better GCSE grades than me and is now doing A levels, she doesn't want to go to uni so she is thinking or getting a full time job in a supermarket.

You've done well so far and you know what you want to do in the future. So don't feel as if you're not achieving anything.

As long as you don't stop and you keep trying you will get somewhere. Don't give up.
Original post by Samonia
Well, you seem quite nice and good at talking so maybe look at something people based? are you good at making computers work or at getting children to behave or good at making food or good at making people smile? Or do you care about the environment or ill people and want to make them better? If you think less academically you'll find it easier to find something.
Or even something such as do you like working in a shop? most big chains have allowances to let you work up to being a manager and big chains often have places abroad so you could even travel with it :biggrin:

I want to help vulnerable people so considered nursing but i am still uncertain and if i was to go uni in the next year or two, there are no more NHS bursaries which means i have have to take out a loan and risk being on a course i don't like and on top of that be in debt and no longer get any funding to switch courses.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Just because you didn't do as well as you wanted to in the past it doesn't mean you can't do well now.

I got similar GCSE grades to you, now I'm doing health & social care too and aiming for D*D*D* then hopefully in uni I'll either be doing early childhood studies or primary education.
I have a friend who has achieved much better GCSE grades than me and is now doing A levels, she doesn't want to go to uni so she is thinking or getting a full time job in a supermarket.

You've done well so far and you know what you want to do in the future. So don't feel as if you're not achieving anything.

As long as you don't stop and you keep trying you will get somewhere. Don't give up.

I hope so.:smile:
I don't know where i am heading in life/what to do in life.:frown:

I feel hopeless and feel like i won't amount to anything.:redface:

Everyone around me seems to know what they are doing but me which makes me feel depresed.:frown:

I don't know what to do, nothing genuinely interests me and i don't really know what i am good at to make a good career out of it.

When i was younger i had high aspirations but now everything just seems falling apart.:frown:

I want to make my parents proud and be in a good position to take care of them when i am older.

I don't want to be in a low paid job/ career.

Edit: I know going to university does not gyarantee success but everyone around me seems to think so which is naive.:s-smilie:

Academically, my GCSE'S(not literally) were a mess and now i am in college doing a level 3 qualification in hope of studing a health care degree, maybe nursing or midwifery but saying this, my science knowledge is pretty awful and i hate maths to be doing any sort of calculations.:redface:

What do i do?

i feel exactly the same
Original post by thefatone
Same

Same

Same

Same but i'm not sure what career i can make out of what i can do....

Sort of, i had a few but i dropped them when i started to think for myself.

Yes for my mum no for dad.

Same

Me 2 my GCSE's suck

Glad to know i am not the only one.
Original post by watch12345
i feel exactly the same

Glad to know i am not the only one.
Go and chat with careers and put 2-3 hours a week min into looking at what you might wnat to do.

Forst firgure out what you are good at and what you like doing. Try to identify jobs that need these, Work out what it takes to get to do them.

I do health and social care too and out of interest, are you in your first or second year?

I am in my first year and struggling.:redface: i don't even know if i will even get a merit grade overall.

My teachers are next to no help.
Original post by 999tigger
Go and chat with careers and put 2-3 hours a week min into looking at what you might wnat to do.

Forst firgure out what you are good at and what you like doing. Try to identify jobs that need these, Work out what it takes to get to do them.

I have sort of tried thinking and thought nursing because i want to help vulnerable children and make a difference in their lives but now i am still uncertain.

Its like no career100% interests me:redface:
I do health and social care too and out of interest, are you in your first or second year?

I am in my first year and struggling.:redface: i don't even know if i will even get a merit grade overall.

My teachers are next to no help.

I'm in my first year. I've achieve distinction in most of my units so feel free to message me if you ever want help :h:
I'm in my first year. I've achieve distinction in most of my units so feel free to message me if you ever want help :h:

Woah. That is good. I have only achieved one distinction and the rest passes.
Woah. That is good. I have only achieved one distinction and the rest passes.

What units are you currently doing?
What units are you currently doing?

Unit 8: psychological perspectives
Unit 6-Profesional personal development
Unit 9-Palanning and values in HSC
Unit 4-The development through life stages(something like that)

Quick Reply

Latest