The Student Room Group

Office locations for Consultancy Grad schemes?

Hi,

This may come across silly but Ive been searching information on Big4 grad schemes for consultancy and other large firms that have consultancy as one of their streams, but I am yet to find out which offices in the UK offer the scheme,

For example Delloite have offices all over the country but they dont specify in their brochure for consulting which of the offices actually offer it. I do understand that majority will be only in London but using logic if a company has offices in say Leeds/ Manchester they would provide all services there too? Any way of finding out before i apply which offices will I be based, coz id rather not apply to London if there is a similar opportunity in the midlands or up north ( more savings and less cost of living)!
Reply 1
There are opportunities in many cities accross the country. PwC for example, offer Consultancy grad schemes in their Bristol and Manchester offices, I'm sure that is the case with the other 3 and many other smaller firms which are not London based.
Original post by KTS89
There are opportunities in many cities accross the country. PwC for example, offer Consultancy grad schemes in their Bristol and Manchester offices, I'm sure that is the case with the other 3 and many other smaller firms which are not London based.

Thank you for your reply!

Yes i think EY and PwC have listed which offices have which graduate schemes available but it was the others i was unsure about as it doesnt state explicitly which offices will be available!
Original post by sachinisgod
Hi,

This may come across silly but Ive been searching information on Big4 grad schemes for consultancy and other large firms that have consultancy as one of their streams, but I am yet to find out which offices in the UK offer the scheme,

For example Delloite have offices all over the country but they dont specify in their brochure for consulting which of the offices actually offer it. I do understand that majority will be only in London but using logic if a company has offices in say Leeds/ Manchester they would provide all services there too? Any way of finding out before i apply which offices will I be based, coz id rather not apply to London if there is a similar opportunity in the midlands or up north ( more savings and less cost of living)!

Can't speak for other offices, but Deloitte definitely offer grad scheme positions across their Consulting service line in the London office. Same applies across the rest of the Big4 (+ smaller firms such as Grant Thornton/BDO/RSM) - with RSM you don't choose which office you go to, you get to list your top 3 choices but the firm will decide which team and office you join.

That said, I know for a fact that the regional offices will offer grad positions in areas such as Audit/Risk/Tax etc (for Deloitte) although for Consulting I think its only London and Belfast, although I'm not entirely sure. I know that KPMG offered regional consultancy gigs (so Leeds/Manchester etc) and same applies to RSM. EY I think was London only if you were going for Advisory-Performance Improvement, but Corporate Finance there was at multiple offices.

Best thing to do is to check on the website when applications open later this year and see where posts are being advertised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Accenture has offices in London, Newcastle, Manchester and Edinburgh.

As far as I can tell, all Consulting graduates start in London.

The majority of people in other offices are based in support roles or are more senior people in Consulting (Manager level and above) who move from London so they can actually afford to have a decent standard of living.

However, the more senior people in Consulting based in other offices often have to travel to London so what you gain in standard of living, you lose in free time.

For example, I know one Senior Manager, based in the Manchester office, who use to leave his house in the country at 4am to travel to London for a meeting every Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
Can't speak for other offices, but Deloitte definitely offer grad scheme positions across their Consulting service line in the London office. Same applies across the rest of the Big4 (+ smaller firms such as Grant Thornton/BDO/RSM) - with RSM you don't choose which office you go to, you get to list your top 3 choices but the firm will decide which team and office you join.

That said, I know for a fact that the regional offices will offer grad positions in areas such as Audit/Risk/Tax etc (for Deloitte) although for Consulting I think its only London and Belfast, although I'm not entirely sure. I know that KPMG offered regional consultancy gigs (so Leeds/Manchester etc) and same applies to RSM. EY I think was London only if you were going for Advisory-Performance Improvement, but Corporate Finance there was at multiple offices.

Best thing to do is to check on the website when applications open later this year and see where posts are being advertised.

I was confused about that because even though the 2016 process has closed, in their website they had London and Manchester as the two offices that offer that stream. Maybe they might do that next year too!
I was confused about that because even though the 2016 process has closed, in their website they had London and Manchester as the two offices that offer that stream. Maybe they might do that next year too!

If that was the case for 2016 entry, then I'm sure it'll be the case for 2017 entry. When I did my partner interview for that stream in London, the partner told me they were aiming for 15% annual growth across everything (profit/employment numbers etc) so Manchester will almost certainly be an option next year.
Original post by Fas
If that was the case for 2016 entry, then I'm sure it'll be the case for 2017 entry. When I did my partner interview for that stream in London, the partner told me they were aiming for 15% annual growth across everything (profit/employment numbers etc) so Manchester will almost certainly be an option next year.

I am hoping to apply for that stream for 2017 entry so would be useful to pick your brains for tips and advice! :smile:

Did you manage to get through?
I am hoping to apply for that stream for 2017 entry so would be useful to pick your brains for tips and advice! :smile:

No worries. Message/quote me whenever you have a query and I'll try and answer.

Unfortunately not with EY for that stream (that was my very first application so I was amazed I made it that far to be honest) but I made it into a Consulting role for another member of the Big4.
Reply 9

sorry to hijack this thread OP i just have a quick Q for Fas.

Original post by Fas
No worries. Message/quote me whenever you have a query and I'll try and answer.

Unfortunately not with EY for that stream (that was my very first application so I was amazed I made it that far to be honest) but I made it into a Consulting role for another member of the Big4.

do u have any advice on how to pass the SJT and business awareness tests for EY? Most of my friends thought they did well but still got rejected and on their report they had strengths like relationship manager.
Original post by e^x
sorry to hijack this thread OP i just have a quick Q for Fas.

do u have any advice on how to pass the SJT and business awareness tests for EY? Most of my friends thought they did well but still got rejected and on their report they had strengths like relationship manager.

I have honestly no idea. Like I got relationship manager too, along with Growth, Problem-Solving and something else, but haven't got a clue why I got through and others did not.

I have a feeling that other factors come into it - such as University/Degree/Grade etc. I feel like they assess the ones that do well in the tests and see their backgrounds and see who would be a good fit and who wouldn't and then put people through on that, but thats just my own conspiracy theory. Would be quite unfair on applicants if that was the case, given that they say that any background is acceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending