The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chalex2016
I'm having doubts as the graduate prospects has dropped slightly and overall ranking slightly too. I didn't base my sole decision on this but Iv insured Liverpool as my back up and it seems their graduate prospects have gone up.

Basing this decision on University 'rankings' is utter nonsense.

Look at the course content carefully, think about any extras that the Uni will give you like study abroad, work placements etc, think about the reality/cost of living in that city. This is what will make a difference to your student experience, your overall happiness and therefore your chances of a good degree result.

And, ultimately, what your career prospects are like in 3 years time ie. your ability to write a convincing application and get through a job interview will be up to you - not the name of the Uni you attended.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone firmed Manchester? I did and insured Liverpool. However, since the new CUG rankings were announced a few days ago, I'm having doubts as the graduate prospects has dropped slightly and overall ranking slightly too. I didn't base my sole decision on this but Iv insured Liverpool as my back up and it seems their graduate prospects have gone up.
Anyone else seen this?
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Graduate+Prospects&s=Law

Manchester dropped one ranking... Nothing to loose sleep over really
Although I am impressed with Warwick, and I wonder why Nottingham has dropped - it gives me hope that I can get in after dropping a grade or two from a*aa to aab... Any thoughts
Has anyone firmed Manchester? I did and insured Liverpool. However, since the new CUG rankings were announced a few days ago, I'm having doubts as the graduate prospects has dropped slightly and overall ranking slightly too. I didn't base my sole decision on this but Iv insured Liverpool as my back up and it seems their graduate prospects have gone up.
Anyone else seen this?
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Graduate+Prospects&s=Law

Rankings are pretty much BS.

Stop worrying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by returnmigrant
Basing this decision on University 'rankings' is utter nonsense.

Look at the course content carefully, think about any extras that the Uni will give you like study abroad, work placements etc, think about the reality/cost of living in that city. This is what will make a difference to your student experience, your overall happiness and therefore your chances of a good degree result.

And, ultimately, what your career prospects are like in 3 years time ie. your ability to write a convincing application and get through a job interview will be up to you - not the name of the Uni you attended.

I was talking in general that they seem to be going down every year over the recent years- but thanks for the reassurance. I didn't base my sole decision on this but I think I rushed in making up my decision and now I'm back tracking.
I'm a mature student so I needed to apply to a uni that was in close proximity to where I live as il be living at home which was the biggest influencer in my decision which is why I chose Manchester and Liverpool because they're both the same distance from me so I feel like that has limited me.
I want to be a barrister and am just concerned that university choice plays a bigger role when applying to the bar? Thoughts?
Is it impossible or highly improbably for non EU students to gain a training contract or vacation schemes in the UK. I wanted to know because I really want to practice in the UK instead of my home country. Otherwise I'll probably go to Canada. What kind of things can help increase the chances. Do you guys know any internationals who got TC or Vac schemes?
Anyone heard from Nottingham? I'm guessing that if they haven't replied by now it means an automatic rejection, right? :frown:
Original post by andrad
Anyone heard from Nottingham? I'm guessing that if they haven't replied by now it means an automatic rejection, right? :frown:

No, you have nothing to do but wait until Thursday, a bunch of my friends are still waiting on them
University of Manchester or University of Birmingham for LAW ?
Just firmed Nottingham and insured Bristol, probably not the brightest idea considering they both ask for A*AA of me lol
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Just firmed Nottingham and insured Bristol, probably not the brightest idea considering they both ask for A*AA of me lol

You'll be fine. 😀Two excellent universities!
Original post by Cholesta
You'll be fine. 😀Two excellent universities!

I hope so, thank you ☺️
Good luck to your son in getting his grades! I hope he gets to where he wants to be☺️
Firm: KCL (A*AA)
Insurance: SOAS (AAA)
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I hope so, thank you ☺️
Good luck to your son in getting his grades! I hope he gets to where he wants to be☺️

Thank you. He firmed LSE and insured. Bristol.
Thank you. He firmed LSE and insured. Bristol.

I've been watching this journey (from afar), please wish him luck. :h: I'm glad he's got LSE as a firm, congratulations! :woo:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I've been watching this journey (from afar), please wish him luck. :h: I'm glad he's got LSE as a firm, congratulations! :woo:

Thank you. Good luck and I hope you get your first choice.
Thank you. Good luck and I hope you get your first choice.

Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Got my offer today from Warwick! Annoyingly took them ages to say yes but I'm happy cause accommodation isn't open yet!
Original post by Amie_U
Got my offer today from Warwick! Annoyingly took them ages to say yes but I'm happy cause accommodation isn't open yet!

Is it for LLB Law or which course?
Original post by ArsalanBac
Is it for LLB Law or which course?

Ya LLB law
Got rejection from all 5 choices (mainly Lon unis/those with LNAT requirements), M100 LLB Law A bit perplexed and baffled as my tutor and others were predicting I would have got an offer based on what I have. I think it's possibly down to LNAT due to my low score of 13, which was due to my total misunderstanding of the computerised system and I missed a complete section out. Never sat in a computerised test. It's a pity that as a mature student in early 40s with wealth of experience in fields of both practical and academic areas (e.g. work demanded to comply professional research reports for corporations and gov etc), I couldn't make it through. Certainly my employer wouldn't be impressed, given they would have sponsored for the entire programme, as the degree is closely connected to my area of profession. Sadly my sponsor would only pay to study law at selected unis.

Have to resort to Open Uni or ULaw as other unis would prove too expensive and won't be worth taking a career break that would prove too costly.

:-(

Latest