The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pixiefuller
Quick question: for Q2 if a word/phrase is an image, do you have to write the word 'image' in your answer to get the mark, or can you just identify it e.g. 'this word/phrase is a metaphor'?

Better to be more precise, in my view. Identify the actual technique used (e.g. metaphor, as you've said), rather than being vague and saying it creates an image/imagery :tongue: (unless you can add an adjective to say WHAT kind of image exactly!)
Original post by Angelil
Better to be more precise, in my view. Identify the actual technique used (e.g. metaphor, as you've said), rather than being vague and saying it creates an image/imagery :tongue: (unless you can add an adjective to say WHAT kind of image exactly!)

ok thank you!
Do we get penalised if our answers are too long?
For an intrrview its less formal and has feeling etc right??
Original post by rubyrogers16
Question 1 is to read and adapt - you need to morph your style of writing and sustain a distinctive tone. Do 5 for bullet point one, 5 for bullet point 2 and 3 for bullet point 3. However, they should all be about equal - therefore you must expand bullet point 3. USE YOUR OWN WORDS. Spend 45 minutes

The exam board has told our school to write as much as possible for the second question and our school has advised to spend 40 minutes on it - this is different from last year as the marks on this question, last year, were typically low. You should try to have 4 phrases analysed for both a and b. DONT USE TERMINOLOGY - instead explore connotations and associations. As afore mentioned spend 40 minutes.

For the first part of Q3, don't use your own words - use phrases from text given. Spend 20 minutes.

For the second part of Q3, spend some time grouping ideas and then it is vital that you use your own words. Spend 15 minutes (but I find this takes about 5 minutes for me, so..)

Good luck :smile: hope this helps

thank you, good luck to you too! :smile:
I know this is a bit late, but is there a good way of improving vocabulary?
Original post by ellamoon_22
For an intrrview its less formal and has feeling etc right??

Yh kind of I see what ur saying
Hey everyone. Anyone doing any last hour revision? :frown:
I feel like I've done all I can now, and all that's left to do is to execute. Good luck to everyone!
Can someone please tell the the types of writing that can come up in question one? I mean like, for example, speech.
Original post by Waveyalex
Maths for me is the highlight subject achieved Grade A in my first mock then A* in the second mock.Cant say the same about my other subjects like science.Although I only actually need 3 marks in the exam tomoz I average 30 marks from every paper I have done which means I would get an A* lool

wow dude. so either way the exam's gonna be a breeze for you.

You LUCKY bastard

how did you get an A* in maths, though. HOW. I can barely scrape by with a B
what is your secret
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
wow dude. so either way the exam's gonna be a breeze for you.

You LUCKY bastard

how did you get an A* in maths, though. HOW. I can barely scrape by with a B
what is your secret

Past paper until I die tbh,u learn so much by doing past papers and read mark schemes so u can see how they want ur answer to be laid out as because sometimes they are quite strict especially with question requiring working they want to see alot

what exam board you with ?
Original post by Some_Student_1
Can someone please tell the the types of writing that can come up in question one? I mean like, for example, speech.

Speech, Newspaper article, Letter, Formal report, Interview, Journal/diary entry.
Original post by x_geniya_jery_x
Speech, Newspaper article, Letter, Formal report, Interview, Journal/diary entry.

Cheers!
How are speeches and talks structured?
Are they similar/different?
-Like, obviously 1st person
-but direct or indirect talk? ^^
Reply 615

Formal Letter- Character's voice , but it is secondary to formal terms
Informal Letter- Character's voice is central-
Newspaper Report- 5Ws , with brief eyewitness quotations
Interview- Character's voice is central, fairly formal
Journal- Voice is most important, usually unless they say, the Journal is unread, therefore opinions of other character can be voiced freely
Speech- Formal, but voice should be there,USE RHETORIC
Dialogue- Voice and Relationship must be thought of, 4-5 lines each NO STAGE DIRECTIONS
Formal Report- E.g. school inspection, Character's voice is least important, but need to understand opinion on relevant issues. Criticise. Specific details

Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Original post by eks85
Formal Letter- Character's voice , but it is secondary to formal terms
Informal Letter- Character's voice is central-
Newspaper Report- 5Ws , with brief eyewitness quotations
Interview- Character's voice is central, fairly formal
Journal- Voice is most important, usually unless they say, the Journal is unread, therefore opinions of other character can be voiced freely
Speech- Formal, but voice should be there,USE RHETORIC
Dialogue- Voice and Relationship must be thought of, 4-5 lines each NO STAGE DIRECTIONS
Formal Report- E.g. school inspection, Character's voice is least important, but need to understand opinion on relevant issues. Criticise. Specific details

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Thanks alot. Really helped me. Jesus im nervous lol!
Thanks alot. Really helped me. Jesus im nervous lol!

Same! Everyone else on this thread seems well chill... Then there's me
Original post by FaithKG
Same! Everyone else on this thread seems well chill... Then there's me

The annoying thing is... you cant really revise hard for English language! You just know what you do! All you can really revise is language techniques, styles of writing and some practice on how to summarize effectively.
Hi guys. This is the last time I'm going to be posting stuff on here b4 the english exam. Just remember to not overcomplicate things as this is a READING paper. The majority of the writing part has already been completed in your cwk. All of you are very intelligent people so I'm sure you'll do very well. Don't stress about it :smile:

I'll see you on the other side 0_o o_0

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending