The Student Room Group

Purposely missing an AS exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marsell
It is an AS exam and I don't plan to take it at all. To further explain my situation, my teacher for Economics has been absent for most of the year and so I would just not turn up to the lessons in which the rest of my class would be given sheets to work on individually. This has resulted in me lacking a substantial amount of knowledge, though I'm sure 90% of my class feel as though they are going to fail. Hopefully this explains why I want to make it seem as though I never studied it

There hasn't been any other unit, has there? No coursework component? This is one of the new, linear AS exams, yes?
Reply 21
Original post by Muttley79
Ask the school to withdraw your exam entry - we make people pay if they don't bother to turn up without good reason.

Is there any coursework?

There is no coursework
Original post by Marsell
X

If you change your mind and decide to attempt it, there are quite a few revision resources around on TSR, YouTube, and elsewhere. There are some pretty good summary notes here, if you want to use them: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/economics-revision.
Reply 23
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There hasn't been any other unit, has there? No coursework component? This is one of the new, linear AS exams, yes?

Yeah there's no coursework
Original post by Marsell
There is no coursework

That's ok, then. You will appear as an X on the results sheet your school gets. You don't need to declare it on your Ucas form next year because it doesn't exist.
Ask the school to withdraw your exam entry

Is it actually possible to do this? :holmes: I always thought that once the entry was made, that was that, and it couldn't be withdrawn.
Original post by Hydeman
Is it actually possible to do this? :holmes: I always thought that once the entry was made, that was that, and it couldn't be withdrawn.

Yes.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/entries/check,-change-or-withdraw-entries"

Withdraw entries
Use your original entry method– EDI or e-AQA to withdraw a student. We will only refund your entry fee upto a certain date: see the main Entries page."
Reply 27
That's ok, then. You will appear as an X on the results sheet your school gets. You don't need to declare it on your Ucas form next year because it doesn't exist.

Thank you for your help!
OP must declare all exams taken and their results, but my understanding is that he is not going to be taking this exam, and consequently hasn't failed it. If he has not sat an exam, he doesn't put it on his Ucas form next year and universities are not going to see it. (It is AS, is it not?) It's a different matter if a Ucas application has already been made i.e. if he is taking A2, not AS, and he has stated he is taking this exam, but as it stands, he is not taking a qualification, he is not failing it and universities won't know he was ever considering taking an exam. Exam results are only sent to Ucas if the exam has been taken in the first place, and it hasn't. Whether it is a good idea or not to drop this subject now is a different question and not one on which I can comment.

@Minerva @Roving Fish @PQ @clairestelle @SlowlorisIncognito @jneill etc. Just summoning the uni genies in case I am missing something obvious.

Yes it would be marked as an X and not a U and should not have to be declared. However just not turning up is a poor option, it will annoy the school and may have unforeseen consequences.
Yes.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/entries/check,-change-or-withdraw-entries"

Withdraw entries
Use your original entry method– EDI or e-AQA to withdraw a student. We will only refund your entry fee upto a certain date: see the main Entries page."

The OP won't be able to withdraw now, though, since the final date for that was 21 April. :/

Edit: Sorry, just realised that that's the deadline for withdrawal with refund. :redface:
Original post by Marsell
Thank you for your help!

You're welcome.
Original post by gdunne42
Yes it would be marked as an X and not a U and should not have to be declared. However just not turning up is a poor option, it will annoy the school and may have unforeseen consequences.

Yes.

Withdraw entries

Thanks to both of you, as always.
As to what the unis will be able to see, @PQ is the authority. I believe the unis will be able to see everything against your record, including the X results, but you don't have to have declared it on your UCAS application (unlike a U grade, which you do).
Original post by Marsell
I've got my AS exams coming and I'm almost certain I'll fail my Economics exam. My other 3 subjects on the other hand I'm predicted A's and so I'd like to just miss my economics one. Will Uni's be able to see my grade at all? Or will it seem as though I never even studied Economics and only did the other 3? Also I plan to pick up another AS next year and do it for only the first year to get some extra UCAS points.
As a further point I have asked my teacher to allow me to not take the exam but was told it is too late.

These notes are from the old syllabus of OCR economics but you may be able to find them of some use regardless.

Unit 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ait8abiwje9964/Economics_AS_Level_Notes.docx

Unit 2:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1blv5abv36a56zf/Economics_AS_Level_Notes_Macroeconomics_%28Finished%29.docx

Useful YouTube Channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EconplusDal
https://www.youtube.com/user/pajholden
Original post by Marsell
I've got my AS exams coming and I'm almost certain I'll fail my Economics exam. My other 3 subjects on the other hand I'm predicted A's and so I'd like to just miss my economics one. Will Uni's be able to see my grade at all? Or will it seem as though I never even studied Economics and only did the other 3? Also I plan to pick up another AS next year and do it for only the first year to get some extra UCAS points.
As a further point I have asked my teacher to allow me to not take the exam but was told it is too late.

You HAVE to tell them all of your grades so just go and try your best
You might as well go to the exam and you might be surprised at how well you do! Good luck :h:
Original post by zXcodeXz
You HAVE to tell them all of your grades so just go and try your best

That is true, but you do not get a grade for an exam you don't sit.
That is true, but you do not get a grade for an exam you don't sit.

I thought they base it on coursework or class work?
Reply 38
Original post by zXcodeXz
I thought they base it on coursework or class work?

That's if you can't sit, generally because you're in hospital or other important reason. If you just don't sit it's different.
OP must declare all exams taken and their results, but my understanding is that he is not going to be taking this exam, and consequently hasn't failed it. If he has not sat an exam, he doesn't put it on his Ucas form next year and universities are not going to see it. (It is AS, is it not?) It's a different matter if a Ucas application has already been made i.e. if he is taking A2, not AS, and he has stated he is taking this exam, but as it stands, he is not taking a qualification, he is not failing it and universities won't know he was ever considering taking an exam. Exam results are only sent to Ucas if the exam has been taken in the first place, and it hasn't. Whether it is a good idea or not to drop this subject now is a different question and not one on which I can comment.

@Minerva @Roving Fish @PQ @clairestelle @SlowlorisIncognito @jneill etc. Just summoning the uni genies in case I am missing something obvious.

I think this is correct for current exams BUT as it's a new style AS exam I wouldn't like to say 100% what unis will/won't be sent. I don't think UCAS would change the way they handle this, but I wouldn't like to bet my uni applications on it.

If it were me, I'd probably contact UCAS before making a final decision just to check that they won't change the way they handle this in the next application cycle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending