The Student Room Group

Can I plagiarise myself?

I'm in A2 Applied Business but the coursework is essentially an extended version of the one from AS.
So would it be okay to copy and paste from my own work last year and just add to it? Or is that considered a really strange form of plagiarism?
Original post by T Stark
I'm in A2 Applied Business but the coursework is essentially an extended version of the one from AS.
So would it be okay to copy and paste from my own work last year and just add to it? Or is that considered a really strange form of plagiarism?

Not sure how it could be plagiarism, but it probably won't be sufficent. I'd check with your teacher and then just add to it :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes its called self plagiarism. It apples in Unis, so you should check the policy for your exam board. They might not penalise it and they might not spot it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, I've checked and apparently I'm ok to go :wink:
Self Plagiarism ??? That sounds absolutely stupid, Using things you have came up with previously as part of your own work... This should be allowed as it is not copied from someone else and it is something you have produced and there should be no reason not to use it again.

This is comparable to not been able to use previously learned knowledge again....
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Self Plagiarism ??? That sounds absolutely stupid, Using things you have came up with previously as part of your own work... This should be allowed as it is not copied from someone else and it is something you have produced and there should be no reason not to use it again.

This is comparable to not been able to use previously learned knowledge again....

At university it is considered plagiarism without referencing!
Some stuff is going to be the same, but if you don't show that you've learnt a lot since last year, you're not going to get a very good mark.
Original post by carrotstar
At university it is considered plagiarism without referencing!

Well I certainly ain't off to uni if this **** rule isn't sorted out.

It's like saying:

"Here are 2 exams with similar questions wanting the same piece of knowledge applied"
Well I would not answer with 2 completely reworded answers when I can practically use the same piece of knowledge on both questions......

Same should apply for similar coursework.
Reply 8
Original post by T Stark

Yes you can. This happened to me on my degree once, it's not worth it
Well I certainly ain't off to uni if this **** rule isn't sorted out.

It's like saying:

"Here are 2 exams with similar questions wanting the same piece of knowledge applied"
Well I would not answer with 2 completely reworded answers when I can practically use the same piece of knowledge on both questions......

Same should apply for similar coursework.

It's because universities have computerised checking systems for similarities with previous work that's been handed in.
Original post by carrotstar
It's because universities have computerised checking systems for similarities with previous work that's been handed in.

Well in there code they need to keep a record of who wrote what and if 2 pieces of text pretty much match up and are produced by same person the machine should pass it off as NOT plagiarised.
Well in there code they need to keep a record of who wrote what and if 2 pieces of text pretty much match up and are produced by same person the machine should pass it off as NOT plagiarised.

Well unfortunately it doesn't :dontknow:

If you're that passionate about it, maybe you could make it your goal in life to change the regulations across the board.. I'm sure you'd make an awful lot of students rather happy! :wink:
My university won't let you submit the same or similar pieces of work twice, even for two different classes. Check school policy or with your lecturer.
Original post by CantFindAName
My university won't let you submit the same or similar pieces of work twice, even for two different classes. Check school policy or with your lecturer.

I see no reason for this, If you can produce it once, Why not again as part of an effort towards securing your grades.
They should not lead you towards having to change parts of your work.

Quick Reply

Latest