The Student Room Group

The Ghosts and Folklore Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leviathan1741
That sounds really interesting! In German and Scandinavian folklore there is an evil spirit called mara, which sits on people's chests as they sleep and brings them nightmares, which is kind of similar to the hag :smile:

I have expenced somthing like that i think
The Mermaid Inn, East Sussex

The Mermaid Inn is an old black and white inn situated in the town of Rye, East Sussex, with some parts of the building, including the cellars, dating back as far as 1156. In the 16th century, the inn underwent renovation, and many of the changes made still remain to this day. The inn was popular with sailors and smugglers, and even had a secret tunnel which connected it to another inn called The Old Bell, which the infamous local Hawkhurst Gang used as a getaway route.

In 1913, the inn was converted to a club, and later functioned as a garrison during WWII. The building was later changed back to serving as an inn after the war ended, and this use remains today. With such a long and varied history, it’s no surprise that the Mermaid Inn is believed to be haunted.

Room 1 of the hotel is said to be haunted by a lady dressed in grey, who appears sitting in the chair by the fireplace. Guests staying in this room often report waking up to find that their clothes have become wet overnight, despite no windows or pipework nearby.

Room 17 is haunted by the ghost of another lady, believed to be the wife of the Hawkhurst Gang’s founder George Gray. Her ghost is thought to be responsible for the sudden and otherwise unexplainable movement of the rocking chair in the room, which regularly woke and terrified any guests staying there. The rocking chair has now been removed from the room because so many guests have complained about it!

Room 19 of the hotel is also believed to be haunted, this time by the ghost of a man in old-fashioned clothing. Guests have woken up in the middle of the night to find him sitting at the end of their beds, often resulting in them fleeing the room in fear.

Perhaps the most startling haunting reported in the Mermaid Inn is that of two duelists, seen fighting each other in room 16. At the end of the fight, one of duelists is killed by the other. The victor then drags the dead man’s body across the room and throws it down a secret staircase, before silently disappearing as if nothing had happened…
Hellens Manor, Herefordshire

Finally, a location that’s local to me! :excited:

Hellens Manor, Herefordshire, is one of the oldest houses in England, with the foundations of the building dating back to the 12th century, and some parts of the building being even older still. Several ghosts are believed to haunt the house, including that of one of the manor’s previous occupants, Hetty Walwyn, and a priest who was murdered in the house by a group of Parliamentarian soldiers.

Perhaps the most tragic tale surrounding Hellens Manor is that of Hetty Walwyn, the daughter of John Walwyn, who owned the house during the 17th century. While she was living in the house, she fell in love with a man believed by her family to be of lower social status, and they would not let her marry him. Hetty and her lover decided to elope, however he died not long afterwards.

Upon her return, her family had her locked up in one of the bedrooms, so that she couldn’t bring any more shame to the family. Hetty remained in the room for over 30 years, with a rope attached to a bell as her only means of communication with outside world. At some point during her time in the room, Hetty engraved a message onto the window with her diamond ring, which said “It is a part of virtue to abstain from what we love, if it should prove our bane”, which can still be seen today. Driven mad by her confinement, she eventually committed suicide, and her mournful ghost has been seen on many occasions since.

Another prominent ghost who haunts Hellens Manor is that of a priest, who was granted shelter at the house during the Civil War, when Catholicism had been outlawed. Sadly, he was hacked to death during a raid by a group of Parliamentarian soldiers, and the resulting blood stains can still be seen on the floor to this day. His ghost has since been seen in various parts of the manor, most commonly in Bloody Mary’s room, the room in which he died.
Vacant Paintings

Vacant painting hauntings are extremely rare, but have been reported on various occasions in the past. Vacant painting hauntings can only occur when there is a painting of the ghost. The person steps out of the painting when the ghost is actively haunting and moving around, and returns to the painting when the haunting ceases. One example of a vacant painting haunting is that of Bisham Abbey in Berkshire, where a portrait of Lady Elizabeth Hoby, who lived in the abbey, is kept; her image is said to disappear occasionally and return to the painting later on.
Chislehurst Caves, Kent

Chislehurst Caves are a series of tunnels, 22 miles long in total, close to the town of Bromley, Kent. The ‘caves’ are entirely man made, and were originally used as chalk and flint mines from around 1250 to 1830. In World War I, the caves were used to store ammunition, and during World War II, they were used as an air raid shelter, with facilities such as a chapel and hospital set up to provide help for the 15,000 or so inhabitants. In the 1960s, the caves were converted to a music venue, where a variety of iconic musicians performed, including David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd. Now, the caves are used as a tourist attraction, with regular lamp-lit tours provided by a team of dedicated guides.

With so many people working, living, and undoubtedly, dying in the caves, it’s no wonder they’re believed to be haunted. One particularly tragic tale is that of a man, thought to have been a priest, who broke into the caves not long after WWII, while the caves were closed off. Unfortunately, he became lost, went insane, and died of fear after 10 days of being trapped in the tunnels. His ghost has been seen cowering near the entrance to the caves, in the tunnel in which he so tragically lost his life. After the incident, the Chislehurst Challenge (a dare to spend one whole night alone in the caves for a reward of £5), was undertaken by many, although only one person actually succeeded, and the challenge is no longer permitted.

The ghosts of World War II soldiers have also been seen in the caves, a clear reminder of the caves use as an air raid shelter during the war. The part of the caves which was used as a hospital in particular seems to be a hotspot for paranormal activity, with shadowy figures, moving objects and screams and cries all being seen and heard there.

The area of the caves which was used during the war as a chapel also seems to be particularly paranormally active, with sightings of robed figures and the sounds of ghostly chanting. Christianity wasn’t the only religion to be practiced in the caves, however, and druid altars can also be seen carved into the tunnel walls. It is thought that the altars were used to offer blood sacrifices, with children often being the unfortunate victims. Visitors to the caves often report feeling uneasy when close to the altars, and screams and cries, presumably those of the sacrificial victims, have also been heard.

One particularly frightening phantom which has been witnessed in the caves is that of a hunchback. He has been seen walking through the tunnels, moaning loudly as he goes. He is believed to be evil, thought to have taken part in many of the sacrificial rituals.

Another part of the caves where paranormal activity has been reported is that of the so-called Haunted Pool. It is said that witchcraft was practiced by women within the caves at some point during their history. One of these women was accused of being a witch, so was weighted down with stones and thrown into the pool. If she sank, then she was thought to be innocent, but if she floated, it was believed that the devil was aiding her, which would prove her status as a witch. Sadly, the woman drowned, and her ghost has been seen and heard on many occasions near the edge of the pool, which has since been filled in with rubble to make the area safer.
Cornish Folklore

Knockers

In Cornish mythology, knockers, also called buccas, are creatures believed to inhabit Cornish tin mines. They are said to be about two feet tall in height, and wear miner’s clothes. In some variations of the folklore, knockers were thought to be responsible for mine cave-ins, and get their name from the knocking sounds which occurred just before a cave-in (these sounds were believed to be the knockers hammering at the walls and supports until they gave way and collapsed). Others say that the knockers were the spirits of miners who had died in previous accidents, knocking to let miners know that a cave-in was imminent.

Pixies

Pixies, known as piskies in Cornish, are small, mythical creatures found in Cornish folklore. They are generally thought to be benign, mischievous and childlike. They were believed to live high on the moors of Cornwall and Devon, particularly where stone circles, standing stones and ringforts can be found. Pixies are very fond of music and dancing, often gathering in large numbers to dance and wrestle during the night, even riding on local horses for fun!

In the Dartmoor area of Cornwall, pixies were believed to help humans, particularly widows, with housework. Pixies are not completely benign, however, and were also said to enjoy misleading travellers and sending them the wrong way (hence the term ‘pixy-led’, meaning led astray).

The Beast of Bodmin Moor

The Beast of Bodmin Moor is probably the most well-known creature in Cornish folklore. The Beast is a phantom cat cryptid, similar in appearance to a panther, believed to inhabit Bodmin Moor. The existence of the cat was first suggested after several sightings of mutilated, slain livestock were reported by local people, but scientists dismissed the idea that a big cat was responsible.

Then, in 1995, a young boy found a cat skull close to the River Fowey on Bodmin Moor. An investigation by experts at the Natural History Museum in London found that the skull was indeed that of a young male leopard; however the skull was discovered to have been imported to Britain as part of a leopard-skin rug, therefore disproving the theory that it belonged to the Beast of Bodmin.
(edited 8 years ago)
Spedlins Tower, Dumfries and Galloway

Spedlins Tower, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, is a fortress which was built on the banks of the River Annan during the 15th century. A man named Sir Alexander Jardine, who owned the fortress and most of the land around it, lived in the tower with his family, until an unfortunate incident forced them to move to Jardine Hall, on the opposite side of the river.

During the 1650s, a miller named James Porteous lived close to the tower in the village of Milhousebridge, providing bread for the local people, including Sir Jardine and his family. James was known to have a quarrelsome nature, and one day he and Sir Jardine had a disagreement. As a punishment, Sir Jardine had him locked up in the dungeon of Spedlins Tower. Shortly afterwards, Sir Jardine left to go to Edinburgh, possibly after being summoned to an urgent meeting. Unfortunately, he had forgotten that he still had the dungeon keys in his pocket, and it was several days before he was due to return.

After a few days, Sir Jardine remembered about the miller he had imprisoned, and quickly sent a courier back to the tower to release him. However, upon entering the dungeon, the courier found James dead. He had starved to death, chewing off his own hands in desperation to break free from the shackles which chained him to the wall.

From then on, the Jardine family was plagued by James’ ghost, with screams and cries of “Let me out! I’m dying of hunger!” emanating from the tower dungeon for many years. Sir Jardine eventually decided to have the tower exorcised in an attempt to lay James’ spirit to rest, and had a Bible placed in the wall of the dungeon.

The screaming and wailing subsided for several years, until 1710 when the Bible was removed so it could be rebound. The haunting started up again, and a series of problems befell the Jardine family, forcing them to move across the river to newly built Jardine Hall. Once the Bible was returned to the dungeon, the screaming ceased once again. However, the ghost of James Porteous is still rumoured to have been seen on several occasions since. He appears as a tall, white-haired apparition which has no hands, walking around the tower, moaning as he goes.

According to local legend, if you poke a stick into the Spedlins Tower dungeon, it will come back half-chewed a sad reminder of the poor, forgotten miller who starved to death there all those centuries ago…
The Skirrid Mountain Inn, Monmouthshire

The Skirrid Mountain Inn, also known simply as The Skirrid Inn, Monmouthshire, is the quite possibly the oldest pub in Wales, dating back more than 900 years. Since 1110, the first floor of the inn was used as a courtroom, complete with a holding cell for prisoners. This courtroom was where the fate of those who committed serious offences was decided, and more than 180 prisoners were hanged from a rope over an oak beam on the staircase. A rope and noose still hangs from the oak beam today, a chilling reminder of those who were condemned to death within the inn’s walls. Grooves from the original rope are also visible, and it’s thought that many of the hanged prisoners continue to haunt the building, despite its subsequent conversion to an inn.

In the bar and restaurant area of the inn, many guests have reported feelings of strangulation, and some of them have even found rope burn marks around their necks. Glasses often fly off the bar and smash, as if thrown by unseen hands, and other objects, including coins, have also been witnessed moving on their own.

A malevolent presence has often been reported on the staircase where the prisoners were hanged. It is thought by some to be the presence of the hangman, haunting the place where he was responsible for so many deaths, but others believe that it is the ghost of the judge himself. George Jeffreys, an infamous judge, is reputed to have been the judge in the Skirrid courtroom, and some people believe that it is his ghost which haunts the hanging stairwell and upper floors of the inn.

The presence of a clergyman, thought to have been Father Henry Vaughn, has also been felt throughout the inn. He is believed to have blessed the prisoners after they had been condemned to death, shortly before they were hanged. His ghost is said to walk around the building, ‘blessing’ the inn in an attempt to rid it of the negativity left behind by the judgements and deaths which took place there.

A White Lady has also been witnessed in The Skirrid Inn. She is thought to be the ghost of a lady named Fanny Price, who worked at the inn and died aged 35 in 1873. The sounds of a rustling dress have been heard whenever she has been seen. She is most often reported in Room 3, and is thought to be responsible for occasionally setting off the inn’s burglar alarm, even when the alarm is not set.
[video="youtube;oVNUXDfLanA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNUXDfLanA[/video]
Craig-y-Nos Castle, Powys

Craig-y-Nos Castle, Powys, Wales, was built in the 1840s by a man named Captain Rice Davies Powell, whose family was believed to be cursed. His wife and three children all died as the result of disease and freak accidents, and eventually the castle was sold in 1876 to the Morgan family, who occupied the property for several years.

Then, in 1878, the castle and surrounding parkland were bought by a famous opera singer named Adelina Patti, who embarked on a major building project, adding the North and South wings, a clock tower, winter garden and theatre. Patti spent a lot of time in her theatre, inviting many of her friends to come and see her perform. After her last public performance in October 1914, she spent the rest of her life in Craig-y-Nos Castle, until she passed away in 1919.

After her death, the castle was sold and used as a hospital for people suffering from tuberculosis. Named the Adelina Patti Hospital, the building remained in use as a hospital from 1922 until 1986. Since then, the castle has undergone extensive restoration, and is currently used as a hotel.

Adelina Patti’s ghost has been seen on many occasions throughout the castle, but she is most often seen in her theatre, standing on or walking across the stage as if giving a performance. The sounds of singing and other strange noises have also been heard in the boudoir of the castle, along with the apparition of a well-dressed Victorian gentleman, which could be the ghost of Ernesto Nicolini, Adelina Patti’s second husband.

Adelina was embalmed in the castle’s cellar, and unsurprisingly, a lot of paranormal activity has been experienced there, with loud bangs and knocking sounds echoing through the rooms when no one is around to make them. The negative presence of a man has also been felt in the cellar, although it isn’t clear who he is.

Transparent figures, thought to be the ghosts of some of the TB patients who lived and died in the castle, have also been seen wandering the stairs and corridors, and the nurses who worked in the hospital have reported feeling as though someone had passed them while walking up and down the stairs. The ghosts of children who were being treated in the hospital have also been seen and felt on various occasions.

Other phenomena has also been experienced throughout the castle, including cold spots, where the temperature suddenly and inexplicably drops, and light anomalies including orbs and flashes appearing on video footage. The castle is rife with so much activity that it has even started offering ghost tours!
Yeah there used to be a big mirror on the floor next to my bed.

One night I woke up on my hands and knees on the floor staring into the mirror. Staring back at me was a twisted version of Jesus screaming at me in anger. As he screamed and stared at me with cold black eyes his face became more and more warped and I was frozen to the spot, locked into his icy stare. His face began to melt away but his anger only intensified.

At no point did this feel like a dream. It felt real. I know that's not possible and it was a dream, but I still remember it clearly and it happened 10 years ago. We still have the mirror.
Original post by kalclash
Yeah there used to be a big mirror on the floor next to my bed.

One night I woke up on my hands and knees on the floor staring into the mirror. Staring back at me was a twisted version of Jesus screaming at me in anger. As he screamed and stared at me with cold black eyes his face became more and more warped and I was frozen to the spot, locked into his icy stare. His face began to melt away but his anger only intensified.

At no point did this feel like a dream. It felt real. I know that's not possible and it was a dream, but I still remember it clearly and it happened 10 years ago. We still have the mirror.

Wow, that sounds terrifying! I would've got rid of the mirror ASAP! :hugs:
I once walked into the bathroom in the middle of the night and saw a chair next to the toilet, i freaked out so bad!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GothicShield
I once walked into the bathroom in the middle of the night and saw a chair next to the toilet, i freaked out so bad!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really random! Are you sure it wasn't an actual chair? :tongue:
That's really random! Are you sure it wasn't an actual chair? :tongue:

Yh lol thats what i meant
...I really wanna see a ghost one day....I love a thrill !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh lol thats what i meant
...I really wanna see a ghost one day....I love a thrill !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to see one too, but I also wouldn't because I think I'd be terrified!
I'd like to see one too, but I also wouldn't because I think I'd be terrified!

Yh feel the same, have you ever witnessed any sort of paranormal activity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh feel the same, have you ever witnessed any sort of paranormal activity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've experienced a couple of odd things here and there, but nothing I can definitely say to be paranormal. Have you? :smile:
I've experienced a couple of odd things here and there, but nothing I can definitely say to be paranormal. Have you? :smile:

I dont think so, usually in my dreams, for like a few weeks i was having terrible nightmares, couldnt sleep, whats worse i started watching horror movies because I thought it would give me confidence....SMART ME: (

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont think so, usually in my dreams, for like a few weeks i was having terrible nightmares, couldnt sleep, whats worse i started watching horror movies because I thought it would give me confidence....SMART ME: (

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear, that probably wasn't the best idea! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending