The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking into online counselling options. Really really don't want to have to do anything else. Does anyone know of any good websites?

Original post by Little Popcorns
Can you get more counselling with the people at that charity? Has she finished the sessions because there was a limited amount or because she thought you'd made enough progress?
I could do, and I know that I should go back but I just really don't want to? :s She thought I'd made enough progress.
Original post by moment of truth
How many sessions did you have with her? :smile:

7 or 8 I think? :smile:
Today I managed to hold down a convo through text all day for the first time in weeks and it didn't drain me or anything. I actually enjoyed communicating again :smile:

On a downer though, got the therapist tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feel really really pathetic, like i shouldn't have even been on here in the first place.
also feel guilty for

Spoiler

idk feel like i should just man up and get on with it lol which is what i try to do but feel like i shouldnt even be on this thread anyway because compared to some people i have it ok
sorry ppl x
going back to the bad place where I get really on edge/panicky before 6th form every night again :frown: I only have 3 weeks left of school EVER really don't want this to ruin it :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Feel really really pathetic, like i shouldn't have even been on here in the first place.
also feel guilty for

Spoiler

idk feel like i should just man up and get on with it lol which is what i try to do but feel like i shouldnt even be on this thread anyway because compared to some people i have it ok
sorry ppl x

you have every right to be here it's a support society for a reason :hugs:
As for the spoilered stuff, I know it's hard but try not to beat yourself up too much it's a coping mechanism; something we all rely on in different forms.
I feel exactly the same sometimes re the need to man up but sometimes it's ok to realise you're not at 100% rn and take care of yourself :hugs:
Idk this is probably all rabble i'm so crap at advice/motivation and stuff....
Always around for a PM if you ever want to talk x
Hey everyone, so this isn't really about me but I was hoping I could get some advice this might be a little long btw sorry. My boyfriend of about 2 years (I'm 18 he's 19) suffers from depression and anxiety, he has since way before we met. He has no friends apart from me, i'm the only person of our age he has regular contact with, he dropped out of college and is currently unemployed and he always tells me he feels like his life is going no where or that he'll be stuck doing menial labour jobs his whole life. I've tried to get him to spend time with my group of friends because they all really like him but his anxiety stops him from feeling comfortable and enjoying himself around them so he's told me he doesn't want to do that anymore.

About a year ago i convinced to go and get some help and he went to the doctor and they put him on anti-depressants and a waiting list for counselling. He hated being on the medication and didn't feel like it helped at all, and he had to wait about 7 months to be seen by a counsellor, which was ****. When he actually did get to see one he went to a couple appointments (which were like weeks apart and really short??) and basically said they weren't helping at all and so he asked the counsellor if he could have a different form of therapy like CBT or something. So they cancelled his appointents and said when they got back to him he'd have to go on another waiting list, but they never got back to him. He stopped taking his meds because he didn't see the point so now we're back to square one :/ What do you do when you actually seek out help and it doesn't work? is there any other places he can go to for help that isn't the NHS and isn't expensive?? I'm just not sure how to help him.

What's worse is that I'm moving across the country to go to uni in september and so we're gonna do long distance and I'm not sure how he's gonna cope because i'm like basically his only support system, what should i do??
Sorry about the length I just really need some advice
Original post by Anonymous
I'm looking into online counselling options. Really really don't want to have to do anything else. Does anyone know of any good websites?

I could do, and I know that I should go back but I just really don't want to? :s She thought I'd made enough progress.
7 or 8 I think? :smile:

Ahh okay. I don't think she would be upset if you went back to her and told her that you are still struggling and need her support. I was in therapy for nearly a year, but only told my therapist some things after a period of time when I felt completely comfortable with saying it. If you had a really positive relationship and she supported you well, then do go back. It is better to have support rather than suffer alone :hugs:

Is there any other reason why you don't want to go back? :smile:
Original post by moment of truth
Ahh okay. I don't think she would be upset if you went back to her and told her that you are still struggling and need her support. I was in therapy for nearly a year, but only told my therapist some things after a period of time when I felt completely comfortable with saying it. If you had a really positive relationship and she supported you well, then do go back. It is better to have support rather than suffer alone :hugs:

Is there any other reason why you don't want to go back? :smile:

I've been seeing my counsellor on and off since
September. I've only told her about some things recently. It's nothing to be ashamed off, it's all to do if you can trust someone and if you feel comfortable. And sometimes, it can take a long time. :hugs:
Original post by eleanor27
you have every right to be here it's a support society for a reason :hugs:
As for the spoilered stuff, I know it's hard but try not to beat yourself up too much it's a coping mechanism; something we all rely on in different forms.
I feel exactly the same sometimes re the need to man up but sometimes it's ok to realise you're not at 100% rn and take care of yourself :hugs:
Idk this is probably all rabble i'm so crap at advice/motivation and stuff....
Always around for a PM if you ever want to talk x

Awh well i guess so lol idk this is here to support people with like idk real issues not like stress and anxiety and whatever lol
yeh i guess so, at the time it just feels so good and before hand like the urge is there but then afterwards just feel really ashamed tbh :redface:
i guess so, thank you lovely :hugs:
and thank you, would appreciate that tbh (im the person who reps this post but i can just pm you first) , and your advice isn't crap :smile: the thing about the music really helped xx
Original post by eleanor27
going back to the bad place where I get really on edge/panicky before 6th form every night again :frown: I only have 3 weeks left of school EVER really don't want this to ruin it :frown:

meant to put this in the post above....
can relate to that lovely xx
hope you feel better soon and as you say try not to let it affect your last few weeks there although ik that is easier said than done :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by Airmed

Spoiler

:hugs: Have you tried asking your doc for something to help you sleep? A lot of sleep meds are addictive but taken once or twice a week (in emergencies) are generally fine. Personally, I like temazepam more than zopiclone as it helps with anxiety a lot.

Why do you think the meeting will be a waste of time?
Reply 212
Most likely handing in my notice at work tomorrow :sadpanda:

Really need to try force myself to get help because im so not coping. Not sleeping properly, not eating properly, not want to be alive, just generally not coping with life.
Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: Have you tried asking your doc for something to help you sleep? A lot of sleep meds are addictive but taken once or twice a week (in emergencies) are generally fine. Personally, I like temazepam more than zopiclone as it helps with anxiety a lot.

Why do you think the meeting will be a waste of time?

They won't give me anything because I got sleeping meds last year and my body always became used to the dosage after a week ao they had to increase it.

It's a waste of time because they don't know what to do with me and I'm fed up of sitting and waiting for them to bother to tell me. I like my CPN but his hands are tied, it's up to the pyschiatrist what's my treatment and hw is taking his bloody sweet time.
Original post by Airmed
They won't give me anything because I got sleeping meds last year and my body always became used to the dosage after a week ao they had to increase it.

It's a waste of time because they don't know what to do with me and I'm fed up of sitting and waiting for them to bother to tell me. I like my CPN but his hands are tied, it's up to the pyschiatrist what's my treatment and hw is taking his bloody sweet time.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. A week every night is probably too much and will lead to addiction (needing higher dose) which is why only occasionally is recommended.

I don't know if this will help (it's just what came to mind), have you tried researching what you're going through and seeing if you can find any advice on what might work for you? Or maybe even asking on a specific MH forum to see if anyone can relate? I say this because it's something I've done in the past (the researching, not the forum) and I've found useful things which my psychiatrist(s) never mentioned/realized/knew about. Just to get different perspectives. :smile:
Original post by PandaWho
Most likely handing in my notice at work tomorrow :sadpanda:

Really need to try force myself to get help because im so not coping. Not sleeping properly, not eating properly, not want to be alive, just generally not coping with life.

:hugs:

I'm sorry to hear that Panda. Could you maybe go see your mum or someone who might be able to look after you while you're feeling this crappy? Have you got a friend you can talk things over with? Sometimes getting it all out can help. :smile:
Yeah, I'm not surprised. A week every night is probably too much and will lead to addiction (needing higher dose) which is why only occasionally is recommended.

I don't know if this will help (it's just what came to mind), have you tried researching what you're going through and seeing if you can find any advice on what might work for you? Or maybe even asking on a specific MH forum to see if anyone can relate? I say this because it's something I've done in the past (the researching, not the forum) and I've found useful things which my psychiatrist(s) never mentioned/realized/knew about. Just to get different perspectives. :smile:

I tried asking on another forum last year with my first PD diagnosis and no one knew what it was, they kept directing me towards OCD. I've not tried it this time because how do I expect the fact that I ticked off six different PDs? Everyone says the same thing for dysthymia, find something you enjoy, and I am trying but it's a lot harder than everyone else thinks. As for voices...:laugh: they're impossible.

Sorry, I'll shut up. You're trying to help and I'm being a right arse about it.
Original post by Airmed
I tried asking on another forum last year with my first PD diagnosis and no one knew what it was, they kept directing me towards OCD. I've not tried it this time because how do I expect the fact that I ticked off six different PDs? Everyone says the same thing for dysthymia, find something you enjoy, and I am trying but it's a lot harder than everyone else thinks. As for voices...:laugh: they're impossible.

Sorry, I'll shut up. You're trying to help and I'm being a right arse about it.

Hmm....have you tried antipsychotics for the voices? Not nice drugs to take but can help a lot of people. Or are they not psychotic voices?

I was actually diagnosed with 3 different PDs at the same time when I lived in the UK and it seemed like a load of BS to me (as I'm fairly sure they were just trying to get rid of me (and they did)), though 6 is a lot more than 3 I don't think it's that uncommon to be diagnosed with multiple PDs. Kinda hard to google, however I guess.

Not at all, I'm just sorry I can't think of anything that might help you. :colondollar:
i don't know what to do right now. i don't have anyone to turn to.
Hmm....have you tried antipsychotics for the voices? Not nice drugs to take but can help a lot of people. Or are they not psychotic voices?

I was actually diagnosed with 3 different PDs at the same time when I lived in the UK and it seemed like a load of BS to me (as I'm fairly sure they were just trying to get rid of me (and they did)), though 6 is a lot more than 3 I don't think it's that uncommon to be diagnosed with multiple PDs. Kinda hard to google, however I guess.

Not at all, I'm just sorry I can't think of anything that might help you. :colondollar:

Tried two antipsychotics last year because they are psychotic voices but they didn't work, they made me a lot, lot worse. Medication is pretty much off the list now, ADs and APs don't do me any good. I even have had an adverse reaction to the implant for my periods so I have to get that out. My body hates modern medicine.

I don't know if they're trying to ******** me. I did the ticky box questionnaire thing the NHS use for PDs and this was after 3 months of knowing my CPN. I'm not a classical case for anything it seems.

It's my problems, not yours. You don't need to help. :h:

Latest