The Student Room Group

Can't decide what uni!!!

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions as to which uni to go for to study geography? I have offers from both (AAB for Exeter, ABB for Newcastle -with a year abroad). I'm curious if anyone has views on the course/uni reputation/city. Also with Exeter if I wanted to do a year abroad is it likely I would be able to or is it normally full.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey,
I'm in a similar situation to you - not sure between Bristol without study abroad or exeter with study abroad. I really want a year abraod so i emailed bristol to ask them if there was any possibility of me getting onto the year abroad course later on. At Bristol he system if that if someone on the year abroad course fails to get 60% in the first year of decides to drop out then you can apply for transfer to the course and they pick who gets the place according to grades you got in Y1. I'm guessing this might also be the case for exeter for you but i would suggest you email to ask them if it's important to you.
I never been to Newcastle but i know people who went there for Geography and had a great time.
Exeter is slightly higher on league tables but Newcastle is also good.

Good luck with your decision, i know how hard it is! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by elenaxxx
Hey,
I'm in a similar situation to you - not sure between Bristol without study abroad or exeter with study abroad. I really want a year abraod so i emailed bristol to ask them if there was any possibility of me getting onto the year abroad course later on. At Bristol he system if that if someone on the year abroad course fails to get 60% in the first year of decides to drop out then you can apply for transfer to the course and they pick who gets the place according to grades you got in Y1. I'm guessing this might also be the case for exeter for you but i would suggest you email to ask them if it's important to you.
I never been to Newcastle but i know people who went there for Geography and had a great time.
Exeter is slightly higher on league tables but Newcastle is also good.

Good luck with your decision, i know how hard it is! :wink:

Yeah that's a hard decision too!! Have you decided yet?? Same for Exeter I can transfer to the course if I get 60% or above, so still lost about what to do!! I've actually now put loughborough back in the bag as I would be guaranteed a year abroad and I've heard it has a good student Union and life in general

Good luck to you too!
Reply 3
I think i'm going to put bristol down as my firm despite not having the year abroad there. Still freaked out at the prospect of having to put it into track tho! :wink: I'm hoping to maybe get onto the study abroad programme in Y1 and if i don't i'm planning to work un the US during summer holidays as BUNAC (i think that's the name) can help organise these things.
i talked to someone whose daughter was at loughborough and is absolutely loving it :smile:
do u have to reply to your offers by the 4 th of may or do u have till june?
anyway i'm sure you'll be happy and do great wherever you go :smile: - i think we just have to decide and not look back now, it's all there is to do :smile:
Original post by nadz97
Yeah that's a hard decision too!! Have you decided yet?? Same for Exeter I can transfer to the course if I get 60% or above, so still lost about what to do!! I've actually now put loughborough back in the bag as I would be guaranteed a year abroad and I've heard it has a good student Union and life in general

Good luck to you too!

Hey nadz97

Great to hear that Loughborough is 'back in the bag'! :biggrin:

Let me know if you have any questions about the course or life at Loughborough more generally that'd help with your decision.

Teresa
Reply 5
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey nadz97

Let me know if you have any questions about the course or life at Loughborough more generally that'd help with your decision.

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Yep!! I realised I really liked it so had to :biggrin: I was wondering about placements as the offer I'm currently holding is a sandwich year in Geography, do you know if its possible to do a sandwich year abroad and if you could possibly do half a year of studying and half working?

Also in regards to job prospects would you say you get a range of options that you would consider good? and do you possibly know what type of jobs previous geography students have gone into and what their starting salary was.

And could you also please tell me the life in general of lufbra in terms of people, societies, and sports and what you generally like about it :smile:

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey nadz97

Teresa

Also one last thing, I've heard a geography lectures can have as little as 3 girls, is this true? If not what is the ratio?
Original post by nadz97
Hi Teresa,

Yep!! I realised I really liked it so had to :biggrin: I was wondering about placements as the offer I'm currently holding is a sandwich year in Geography, do you know if its possible to do a sandwich year abroad and if you could possibly do half a year of studying and half working?

Also in regards to job prospects would you say you get a range of options that you would consider good? and do you possibly know what type of jobs previous geography students have gone into and what their starting salary was.

And could you also please tell me the life in general of lufbra in terms of people, societies, and sports and what you generally like about it :smile:

Thanks

Original post by nadz97
Also one last thing, I've heard a geography lectures can have as little as 3 girls, is this true? If not what is the ratio?

Hey nadz97

I've spoken to the Department and I believe you've spoken to them this morning regarding your placement options?

In terms of the male/female ratio, the Department have confirmed that there are 53 female and 42 male students registered on this year's BSc Geography course (2015) - so it's definitely not the case that our Geography students are predominantly male!

The best source for information on graduate prospects is the Unistats website which provides detailed statistics on many aspects of the course. More generally, the course can lead on to a wide variety of careers, with previous graduates working in organisations such as local government, private organisations, in the city, environmentalcontexts, etc. The Department have suggested that it might be worth contacting their own representative in the Careers service for more information. Her name is Hemisha and she can be contacted directly on 01509 222078, or alternatively you can drop her an email on [email protected].

Beyond your course you'll have loads of activities to get involved in on campus. Our Students' Union offers over 100 student societies. It also hosts at least 3 student nights every week as well as a events programme including music events, poetry events, student theatre productions etc. The sporting facilities are fantastic and are open to all of our students at discounted rates - whether you compete for your country or give fancy giving a few sports a go for a laugh!

Loughborough town itself is a vibrant market town with a really 'studenty' feel to it. There are plenty of high street shops and loads of reasonably priced places to eat. We've got a regular bus service that runs from the campus, into town and on to the train station and so if you fancy further afield it couldn't be easier. We're on a direct line to Nottingham, Leicester and Derby (all of which can be reached within 30 minutes) and London can be reached in less than 1.5 hours.

I hope this helps! Do let me know if you have any further questions.:smile:

Teresa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending